6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

new Chevy Dmax numbers

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:56 AM
rambaseball45
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-10-2010, 02:13 AM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Yeah,yeah,..I read this..So what you think guys?

Old 03-10-2010, 06:24 AM
middaughm
Senior User
wow

holy crap and crap! ...Crapman!
765 ftlbs of torque!! Are they going with CGI block too? i didn't see anything on it?

AND...With a P.S.(as in by the way) of 60% new parts! HA!....pretty much same boat as ford for new engine!

Do you think ford going to beat that!!???

Holy crap and crap if they do! Come on FORD...Give it too me baby...400HP and 770 ft lbs or 775 WOOOOOTT! Holy crap,crapman...i think i just blew my urea tank!

BUTT, i would rather them keep what they have and have a LONG term motor with GREAT MPG's!!! It would mean SO much less hassle down the road and would get people attention for reliablity, especially if the duramax starts have fits!

I'll give another BUTT...if they can beat it and give reliablity!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:25 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Obviously the engine is a big deal but to be objective here, forget the engines and compare the rest of the truck.

Chevy's have nice car like seats. Ford's have firmer seats less like a bucket.

The Ford cab is wide, open, dash is far away from you, very spacious feeling.
The Chevy cab is more like a car, your feet and legs go into and under the dash farther, the dash controls are a little more "in your face". The chevy makes you feel "wrapped around", the Ford makes you feel less confined.

The vision in the Ford cab (through windows and around pillars) is much more comfortable. And, you sit up higher above the "waist" of the truck. The top of the driver door is about halfway between your elbow and shoulder.

The Chevy, you sink more in. The top of the door is closer to your shoulder than your elbow. And, you can't see the top of the hood unless you really set yourself up high.

The frame, suspension geometry/parts, wheels, and brakes are all heavier in the Ford. Just get under them and crawl around and look.

I have owned both. I like the Ford. I don't really care about whoever has 10 more HP or 20 ft/lbs of torque. We all have plenty of power at our right foot.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 AM
ciscofreak
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually the brakes on the new Chevy are now bigger than the Ford. Only by a fraction of an inch but just sayin...

Old 03-10-2010, 04:39 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll take the Ford hands down.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:13 PM
airj
Junior User
Lets compare trucks here where each truck excels at

Chevy:
1. most power, 397hp-765 ft lbs torque
2. upgraded brakes, and frame
3. being ugly

Ford:
1. best mpg for diesel
2. heavly tested engines and transmission
4. new HD transmission with 2 overdrives
5. best interior you'll ever find in a HD truck
6. 6.7l diesel hp @ 2800rpm not chevys 3000rpms
7. most standard gas power 385hp-405 ft lbs torque
8. diesel engine is the cheapest
9. smart features (TBC,,hill desent,hill assist, etc...)
10. wide arange of axle ratios
11. best in class payload and towing for F250,F350,F450, with gas or diesel
12. its a Ford and not owned by the gov't
13. and much more that probably forgot to list

Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Hobo
Senior User
Break down the numbers further here guys.

The only reason the Duramax makes more power is that extra 200 RPM's. 397hp @ 3000 RPM's equals 695lb-ft of torque, the Duramax isn't breathing as well up top. Looks like GM padded the horsepower numbers by spinning their motor a bit faster. The Duramax on average is losing 1lb-ft of torque for every 20 RPM's the engine accelerates.

Compare this to the Powerstroke putting down 390hp @ 2800 RPM's which equals 731lb-ft of torque at that engine speed. So the Powerstroke gives basically peak torque from 1600 RPM's to 2800 RPM's. All Ford would really need to do is play with the boost map a smidge to maintain boost for another 200 RPM's and they would make over 400hp at 3000 RPM's. For example if we extrapolate the torque loss over RPM increase of the Powerstroke we find that on average it loses 1lb-ft for each increase in engine speed of 300 RPM's. So if Ford remapped the boost to maintain pressure up to 3000 RPM's we would still be playing with around 730lb-ft, and that means an output of 417hp gentlemen. The new Powerstroke is going to behave much like the other reverse flow head in valley turbocharger equipped V8's on the market, like the BMW 4.4L twin turbo V8. Makes a nice strong peak torque number and just holds it for a couple of thousand RPM's, super flexible engine.

What we have here are two different styles of power delivery the GM peaks higher but starts to lose power compared to the Ford later in the operating range, only posting a marginally higher peak horsepower output due to spinning the engine faster. Ford seemed to take a different approach looking for a really flat torque curve for extremely linear power delivery, and they got it. Right around 2100-2200 RPM's on up to 2800 RPM's the Ford will likely be the more responsive and powerful engine. You know, the engine speed you'll be seeing every time you pull out to pass, or downshift to climb a hill.

To put things in perspective at each motors peak torque the Ford makes 224hp @ 1600 RPM's, and the Chevy makes 233hp @ 1600 RPM's. Big deal.

Note to Ford, increase boost pressure by 1.5-2.5 PSI, and extend the boost map an additional 200 RPM's.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:16 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
another note to Ford:
Add the ninth injector.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Softballdad
Senior User
Reliablity is going to win this battle. Can't wait to drive a 6.7l.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 AM
ketchup
Junior User
I agree, reliability will win here! Thanks for the hp/tq ratios in previous post, very informative.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all you taxpayers for providing gm all the fluff to be able to build their own diesel in house and transmission in house and(while waiting for ford's numbers first), enabled them to carry over the fluff, and spread it around, fluffing numbers at the last minute to best that other manufacturer who has obviously lost touch with current trends..

Old 03-11-2010, 02:20 PM
IHbase
Elder User
Originally Posted by airj
Lets compare trucks here where each truck excels at

Chevy:
1. most power, 397hp-765 ft lbs torque
2. upgraded brakes, and frame
3. being ugly

Ford:
1. best mpg for diesel
2. heavly tested engines and transmission
4. new HD transmission with 2 overdrives
5. best interior you'll ever find in a HD truck
6. 6.7l diesel hp @ 2800rpm not chevys 3000rpms
7. most standard gas power 385hp-405 ft lbs torque
8. diesel engine is the cheapest
9. smart features (TBC,,hill desent,hill assist, etc...)
10. wide arange of axle ratios
11. best in class payload and towing for F250,F350,F450, with gas or diesel
12. its a Ford and not owned by the gov't
13. and much more that probably forgot to list
"Heavily tested"?? Are you kidding? Yeah, I saw the video too- They were pulling 10k with a DRW350. Big deal. They have a 250k rebuild goal. Big deal. Haliburton employees drive through streams and let the trucks idle all day? Hardly an extreme test- pretty much anything on the market will pass that test.

Time will tell, but going in with a new motor, almost by definition, means the Ford is the LEAST tested of the available drivetrains. And "never tested" by the market should be enough to make smart buyers pause. There is a reason why the commercial upfitters around here are going to Dodge Cummins for now.

This might be a good time to cut back on the Cool Aid.

-mike

Old 03-11-2010, 02:38 PM
IHbase
Elder User
Those numbers are impressive. And while I do not much like that motor, it is very refined. In fact, the whole truck has very good fit and finish- much better than my 2007 Ford. Of course F&F are only part of the equation, but GM has come a long way in production quality. They deserve credit for the improvements they have made.
-mike

Old 03-11-2010, 02:50 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

DMAX

I had a Chevy DMAX.....fit and finish sucked......and all the plastic was dry rotted......also, injector problems around the same time frame......which dealrship said that was a weak link......obviously didn't find out until I bought.......the DMAX is hardley mentioned in the owners manual and a lot of finger pointing at the dealrship......As far as Dodge goes, I've heard they are also having lot's of injector/software problems, and compounded by the fact that they can't get Cummins to work on trucks with problems.

July rolls around, it will be a Ford for me......

Old 03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
IHbase
Elder User
Originally Posted by roadkingfl
I had a Chevy DMAX.....fit and finish sucked......and all the plastic was dry rotted......also, injector problems around the same time frame......which dealrship said that was a weak link......obviously didn't find out until I bought.......the DMAX is hardley mentioned in the owners manual and a lot of finger pointing at the dealrship......As far as Dodge goes, I've heard they are also having lot's of injector/software problems, and compounded by the fact that they can't get Cummins to work on trucks with problems.

July rolls around, it will be a Ford for me......
I agree- they had real issues. My point is that they have come a long way. As far as Cummins having service issues: While they had the same teething problems with new emissions software as everyone else had, I am not aware of any on-going service issues around here. But thanks to early adaptors willing to take a risk on a new product and deal with the inevitable problems, the product becomes sorted out for us late buyers. Still: that so many early buyers are willing to pay retail for a production item that suffers massive depreciation is lost on me. -mike

Quick Reply: new Chevy Dmax numbers