1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1954 ford truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 AM
saauvenshine
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 1954 ford truck

Hey Guys i have two questions i would like to get feed back. I am starting on my 54 that i bought my junior year of high school 1972. Ive bought parts over last couple of years and just now have time to start. My first question i just bought a n.o.s. steering column and its full of oil but was wondering since its sit so long should i drain and what weight oil should i put back in. Next i bought a 239 ohv engine that had been rebuilt with about 20,000 miles and set in truck about 2 years ago. The motor had been sitting about 2-3years before that. I plan to take oil pan off and clean also have new oil pump . before i try to crank what is best way to preoil engine so i want be starting up dry. Any and all comments will help. Thanks Stevie

Old 03-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
You mean the oil for the steering box? If it doesn’t show signs of leaking I would’t worry about it until you get in into the truck then check the level, not sure can’t remember, 30 oil or 90 gear oil or bacon fat () even chassis grease ............ they are not too fussy.

Do a Google search for this item and some of this sites posts will come up.

Here is one of a hundred links for "stored start";

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...l-priming.html