Sponsored by:

A/C lines running to the rear.....has hole in line

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 AM
rb8484
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C lines running to the rear.....has hole in line

Hey everyone. I have posted this a while back, maybe a year ago, and was wondering if anyone has any new ideas or if anyone else has encountered this problem. Im not sure if it is the high pressure or low pressure line. The line had rubbed on the frame and it wore a hole in the line. I want to get this fixed and wondered if anyone had any remedies or if I need to replace the whole line. Someone said I could take it to a radiator shop and they could repair the line???
Let me know your thoughts!
Thanks in advance!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:15 PM
bubudog
New User
i do hvac for a living commercial,residental and have a mobile licence,,i,ve never seen a fix for a hose leak, please dont try the stop leak refrigerants that are out there,they will cause you nothing but more trouble clogging all kinds of fun to get to parts,,,my best advise is to have the whole line replaced by someone with the right tools and equipment,,and if you do find a fix let me know
i,ve been on here only a week and have gotten great help,,,hope this helps you
but its just my 2cents

Old 03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
I had a leak in on of my rear AC lines. It was a warranty item. I remember it took an extra day as the original was a 1 piece line, and the replacement was 2 pieces (only 1 showed up the first day). It's a pretty basic R&R. Then vacuum it down and charge it up.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:49 PM
7475ih
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The small line is high pressure and the big line is low pressure.Is it the hard line or is it the hose part of it? I've brazed hundreds of A/C hard lines and they never leaked, good as new.If it is the rubber part of the line I have also repaired many of them by replacing the hose part and crimping it back on. I would take it off and have it brazed by a radiator shop if it is the hard line.Some of those combination hard lines with the hoses are high dollar.And like bubudog says,don't use stop leak. I used to get between 40 and 50 bucks to braze a line so I would weigh your options between the price of a new one or have it repaired? And if you need any fittings replaced on the line Napa can get about any kind you want.Be sure to always put new R-134 o-rings on the fittings before putting it back together. Godd Luck

Old 03-09-2010, 05:59 PM
hvacguy
Senior User
I'm with bubudog. Replace it. It is probably an aluminum line. I have never seen a reliable repair for them. Lot of snake oil, but nothing permanent. That includes the epoxy kits, and the magic aluminum brazing kits. My techs go behind a lot of so called technicians that have sold these fixes.

The only option I could possibly recommend without replacement would be to cut out the section that is bad, and insert a new section using either flare fittings or compression fittings. That might be a work around to replacement. You have nothing to lose but 68 oz of R134a and some time.

Take it from 2 guys in the industry, myself and bubudog, do not use anything with stop leak.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:15 PM
rb8484
Tuned
Originally Posted by hvacguy
I'm with bubudog. Replace it. It is probably an aluminum line. I have never seen a reliable repair for them. Lot of snake oil, but nothing permanent. That includes the epoxy kits, and the magic aluminum brazing kits. My techs go behind a lot of so called technicians that have sold these fixes.

The only option I could possibly recommend without replacement would be to cut out the section that is bad, and insert a new section using either flare fittings or compression fittings. That might be a work around to replacement. You have nothing to lose but 68 oz of R134a and some time.

Take it from 2 guys in the industry, myself and bubudog, do not use anything with stop leak.
I wouldnt use stop leak, and there is no way any stop leak would seal this hole. I do like the idea of cutting out the bad piece of line. I think it is a one piece line on my truck, so I would have to buy the new 2 piece line. Just the front section is $250. So it would prolly be $500 for the new line, plus labor. Maybe I will find someone that can flare in a new section.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:09 PM
7475ih
Junior User
I didnt know those lines were aluminum on Fords? Be aware that flared fittings on a R134 system will leak.You must use O rings. Never tried compression fittings though? I always done A/C work on semi trucks and heavy equipment and they were always brazable.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:21 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
rb8484, can you take a pic for the rest of the world to show where it rubbed through? Might save a fellow X owner some grief.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 AM
fltrader
New User
Same problem

Low pressure line rubbed through (larger line). 2003 Ex 6.0. Line rubbed on the bolt mounting the rear springs. new line is $640. Repair w/ parts, looking @ $1040. Opted to have them cut rubber section and repair, evacuate and refill. We'll see if that does the trick. I'll post a pick where it wore through and my result on the patch job when I get it back.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:16 PM
rb8484
Tuned
Originally Posted by fltrader
Low pressure line rubbed through (larger line). 2003 Ex 6.0. Line rubbed on the bolt mounting the rear springs. new line is $640. Repair w/ parts, looking @ $1040. Opted to have them cut rubber section and repair, evacuate and refill. We'll see if that does the trick. I'll post a pick where it wore through and my result on the patch job when I get it back.

Keep me posted, I never did get mine fixed. When will you get it back?? And do post some pics! Who is doing the work??
If you dont mind me asking, what are they charging you to do this?

Old 06-20-2011, 05:20 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
i know, but since we have some A/C pro's writing in, thought this would be a good question. How long does the R134 last if there are no leaks and normal (year 'round periodic use)? Does it degrade or lose potency over time? I'm on Year 11 with the Ex and wondering.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 PM
fltrader
New User
It was done today. Picking it up in the morning. I went with a local shop. They said it is not leaking. They would not warranty the work unless I replaced the line w/ the Ford part (which was $640/$1050 installed). They also said they could send the hose to have it fixed ($300/$610 installed). I'm looking @ about $300 for them to fix it evacuate the ac and recharge. I thought that was pretty pricey. But, I trust these guys so I went with them. Anybody have the part numbers for that hose? I want to see what price I can find it for online. I'll post pics tomorrow when I get it back.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 PM
rb8484
Tuned
Originally Posted by fltrader
It was done today. Picking it up in the morning. I went with a local shop. They said it is not leaking. They would not warranty the work unless I replaced the line w/ the Ford part (which was $640/$1050 installed). They also said they could send the hose to have it fixed ($300/$610 installed). I'm looking @ about $300 for them to fix it evacuate the ac and recharge. I thought that was pretty pricey. But, I trust these guys so I went with them. Anybody have the part numbers for that hose? I want to see what price I can find it for online. I'll post pics tomorrow when I get it back.
So what exactly did they do?? They cut out the part with the hole and just put a rubber hose in its place??

Old 06-21-2011, 07:17 PM
chazman
Senior User
mine rubbed a whole in the low pressure (Big one) rubber line by the rear spring bolt. Cut it and splice d it with a metal piece and some clamps. sucked down vacuum, filled with freon and works like a charm. That was three years ago.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:32 PM
rb8484
Tuned
You guys are lucky....just looked to see what line it was that was rubbed through, its the small one, so i presume it is the high pressure line?? Guess I wont be getting mine fixed anytime soon! Seems to be a problem with with the rear spring hanger bracket rubbing through the AC lines. If your reading this, go check your AC lines near the rear spring bracket and see if they are rubbing.

Quick Reply: A/C lines running to the rear.....has hole in line