S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Dreaded Bedplate Leak! What to know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 PM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dreaded Bedplate Leak! What to know?

Well they finally found my oil leak. It's the dreaded "Bedplate" oil leak! I've heard of this over the years but since my engine was at the end of the years I had thought that all these things had been fixed. Ford dealer says they have to pull the engine and only then can they tell if they will repair my engine or order me a new one! All this with 32,000 miles on it!

So here's my question: What should I know up front? What should I watch out for in the repairs? What the heck is a "bedplate" anyway?

Thanks, Jim.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:35 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bedplate is basically the lower part of the engine block right above the oil pan. It begins on the centerline of the crankshaft, and holds the all of the lower main bearings instead of having individual caps for each.

Mine leaks a little bit there also...in fact a lot of them do.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:51 PM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
The bedplate is basically the lower part of the engine block right above the oil pan. It begins on the centerline of the crankshaft, and holds the all of the lower main bearings instead of having individual caps for each.

Mine leaks a little bit there also...in fact a lot of them do.
Hi Steve! Thanks for the info. No wonder they need to pull the engine. What a mess! Is there anything I should be watchful about when the dealer is doing this?

By the way, how you been?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:08 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Been fine Jim, thanks.

I'd say just be sure there are no leftover parts

How much is the thing leaking, anyway? My thoughts on it are if it's not leaking much, leave it alone. If it were an oil pan gasket or a valve cover gasket that's one thing, but we're talking major surgery to fix this leak, and on a good running motor.

But that's my opinion...

Old 03-08-2010, 03:25 PM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
It's leaking pretty bad. Enough that when I drive there is a strong oder of burning oil. On long trips it can be strong enough to make you sick breathing it in. So something has to be done. I'm just ticked off that this is on a new truck with so few miles on it!

Old 03-08-2010, 11:13 PM
BigGeo
Senior User
Low Milage Major Repairs.

I know the feeling. Mine is an 07 also and needed headgaskets at 21500.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:46 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjimcruising
It's leaking pretty bad. Enough that when I drive there is a strong oder of burning oil. On long trips it can be strong enough to make you sick breathing it in. So something has to be done. I'm just ticked off that this is on a new truck with so few miles on it!
I guess there isn't much choice if it is that bad. There are a hell of a lot of misdiagnosis on that particular leak. Do you know if they put dye in your oil to find it? Bed plates don't usually leak as badly as yours sounds. And it sounds like they think so too, because they are considering a new engine. Like maybe they suspect a crack.

What you don't want is for them to pull the engine and then find out it was just a sensor leaking from above. So I would insist on the dye test before letting them tear into it.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:25 AM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
You're right on the money Bill! They did do a dye test. I had to drive it around for a couple days then go back in so they could check it. I think they used a black light but I might not fully understand what they did. Sounds odd. Anyway thats when they said it was this bed plate leak. I guess I'll find out when I take it in for them to work on. It might be a while since I'll have to figure out where to live while they are fixing it. Got to get new jacks for the camper then I can stay at my local Elks lodge for a couple weeks while they fix it. What a mess!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Jim!

May I ask which dealer you're using for diagnosis and repair?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:17 PM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
Hi Russ, long time! Hope all is well with you! I'm using Ken Grody Ford. They have an off site commercial truck shop now and they are the one's I'm dealing with. Any input or something I should know? Jim.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The guys at Ken Grody have been good to me so far.

I've spoken with, and been assisted by, Jeremy Curry and Eric Romanoff in their Service Department. Eric is the Director of Service and Parts and has a 7.3 powered Super Duty in pristine condition.

The only challenge that I have had is I have never been able to speak directly with the Technician that worked on my truck. I do admit that I have not pressed the issue though.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 PM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
Russ you might want to try out their commercial service center. They're very relaxed and easy going over there. The day I hung out there they didn't have any problem with me walking around the place. I talked to the techs when I wanted and could watch them work on the truck if I wanted. I didn't bother with that too much since I don't have much clue about diesels. After the work was done I talked to the tech about what he had done and any issues he found. When I took the truck back to check for the leak I again talked directly with the tech about the leak. During their lunch hour I even hung around with the guys in the lunch room, they didn't have any problems with me being there talking to them. Louis is the service writer I deal with over there. Maybe it's more relaxed there since they don't have all the tourists from the regular cars hanging out and bugging them.