Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New engine - but not running yet!??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:31 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
New engine - but not running yet!??

Well, it runs, but sounds like its not firing all cylinders and won't start unless plugged in...

DTC's are P1293, P1294, P1296.

Here is the weird thing - buzz test only buzzes loud on 1, 3, 5 & 7 and the other 4 buzzes come from the same side. IOW's, it buzzes loud, soft, loud, soft, etc - but all 8 buzzes are from same 4 injectors. Sounds the same with the other bank unplugged. Makes no noise, but produces same codes with 2,4,6,8 bank unplugged.

All the injectors appear to ohm out OK when testing from the VC and UVC harness.

STUMPED! Should I try the IDM from my other PSD? (where is it again??)

-Jason

Old 03-03-2010, 01:34 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would suggest that you look at the under the valve cover wiring harness..

Old 03-03-2010, 01:43 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by just another truck
I would suggest that you look at the under the valve cover wiring harness..
X2, did you pull the valve covers on the "new" motor? Is this a new reman motor or new to you?

if it is a new to you (used) motor what did you do to it before you installed it?how many miles on it? where did it come from etc.....

Old 03-03-2010, 03:07 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Its a rebuilt engine I bought with 2k miles on it. It ran really good - at 550+hp with Stage 3 injectors, big oil, S400 turbo, etc, etc. BTW, I'm only using Stage 1 single-shots, stock HPOP and a 38R...

The UVC's were updated not long ago and I mentioned that everything ohms out OK. I did pull driver's-side VC - everything looks good there.

Using AE for codes, etc - these codes point toward IDM issues (wire shorts or bad IDM), but I'm suspicious since the truck ran great before (except for the whole in the piston!!)

I've never heard of the buzz test producing the results we're seeing. Is this typical of a bad IDM? What could be 'shorted' that could produce these results?

I'm far from an expert (at anything), but have quite a bit of experience wrenchin' on my PSD's.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:24 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
The idm is in the drivers side wheel well up by the door hinge. Do you have one to try? Rick posted some troubleshooting from the manual in this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/722561-idm.html

Old 03-03-2010, 04:09 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Its a wire harness... pull the valve covers and check again... You will find it unplugged.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:22 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with the guys, from what I learned here, that whole pass. side bank is out. Wiring harness-passender side.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:04 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Here is the weird thing - buzz test only buzzes loud on 1, 3, 5 & 7 and the other 4 buzzes come from the same side.
Ok, I'm voting for a problem with the IDM... the harness is static, and hasn't changed. If the PCM is commanding #2 to fire, and #(ODD injector here) gets the signal, something is wrong Houston. I spoke to him on the phone, and there is apparently some arcing evidence where the harness plugs into the IDM (on the orange gasket), but the pins look ok.

So the question is, if you unplug one of the banks, and then run the buzz test, would the signals meant for the unplugged bank wind up in the bank that IS plugged up? I wouldn't think so, what do you all think?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:35 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
First of all a BIG THANK YOU to Ray for the generous donation of his time all day today helping me with this!! The people here on FTE are 'the best'. I am eternally grateful for all the help I've received here over the years and feel very fortunate to have made friends with people like Ray and CPUNeck (thanks for the phone call and moral support brotha!!)

OK, swapped IDM from the X and same results from buzz test - but now only getting P1294 'Injector high-side open - Bank 2'...

Yes, yes, I will be pulling the other (harder ) VC off. I'm aggravated enough to do it before I go to bed tonite, so I'll come back up and post when it comes off.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 8591461" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1>Its a wire harness... pull the valve covers and check again... You will find it unplugged. </TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: newreply_reviewbit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: newreply_reviewbit --><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Will this really make all the injectors on one side buzz - even when the 'buzz' is s'posed to be on the other side? I'll be as happy as if I had good sense if I find the pass-side unplugged or UVC harness pinched or something.

Did I mention this engine has 910 valve springs, chromoly pushrods, ARP head studs, Mahle pistons, ceramic coated Int'l up-pipes, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and the exhaust housing on the new 38R is also ceramic coated... Oh, I detailed and painted everything up real purty too. If only it RAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:46 PM
240spoke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey can you post some pics when you get a chance....Sound like a real power house....That will be a blast to drive..... Have fun with it....MATT

Old 03-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Subscribing.
I vote a loose connection somewhere as well.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:11 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 1296 is leading to a short or or miswired connector on the left bank which is the bank that ain't firing
why did that code go away and only showing a 1294 now?
But all three codes will kill 4 cyls

Old 03-03-2010, 09:48 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Thanks Matt! No real powerhouse with Stage 1's, but was fun to drive BEFORE the GTP 38R, so looking forward to spoolin' up faster after shifting gears!! All that ceramic coating is s'posed to help spool faster and help EGT's a bit too! The headstuds, valve springs, etc are to support future mods!! (damn PSD Mod Syndrome, ya know?) I'll post some pics eventually... I gotta be in Boston in a couple days - with this truck!! - so time is a little short right now.

OK, pulled the freakin' VC and everything is hunky-dory. WTF??

Going down now to run buzz test and see what happens.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 PM
patrickke
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did it start?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:03 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Alright, I guess I am still proud of it - somewhere deep inside right now anyway...

Not the best pics, but I didnt look at them until it was too late:

oh yeah, there's a SB Clutch Con OFE (ceramic dual-friction) clutch in there too...

PTFE-lined SS braided fuel lines with swivel JIC ends:

Quick Reply: New engine - but not running yet!??