2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I get a Tranny Flush or Drain performed?
Flush
46.67%
Drain
53.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Tranny Flush versus Drain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:22 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Flush versus Drain?

Okay, I'm stuck with a problem.

My '06 F-150 is nearing 30K miles and want to have the tranny serviced. My issue is, I've heard too many people complain of tranny failure after having a flush performed. While I've heard hardly anyone has had such problems with a simple drain.

Of course I want to extend the life of the tranny as far as possible, so I prefer to have a flush to get all the old fluid out. But if this will cause premature failure, I'd prefer to go the drain route.

I'm fairly new to auto transmissions, as all my previous rides, except one, were manuals. Truly wish the F150 5.4L came with a manual tranny. Any suggestions on thoughts?

Old 03-01-2010, 01:40 PM
jstnromero
Postmaster
I have had 2 flushes performed and have had no ill effects. The deal with flushing versus a drain is that the flush changes all (the majority of the fluid) vs a very small amount when dropping the pan. I go by what ford calls for (the flush) as this is supposed to be more than sufficient and is what they recommend. The way that I see it is that the Ford engineers would call a different procedure if the truck should need it. Just my .10 tho.

~jstnromero

Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
I would say this, like any service work it boils down to the tech. Since there are very few i trust, I flushed the tranny myself using the good ol, disconnect the line at the radiator mounter trans cooler, changed the filter (first time only), fill with fluid and then fire up the engine and when 4 qts dump into the bucket, shut it off & refill the pan.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe a lot of people say that a flush killed their transmission when their transmission was already on its way out.

You know perhaps it had been shifting weird, slipping a bit, and they figured a flush would do it some good. They get the flush done, and it fully gives out 5,000 miles later. So they figure it must have been the flush that did it, when it probably would have died anyways within the same time span.

Personally I don't get why they don't put drain plugs on torque converters anymore.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:45 PM
2004 xlt 5.4
Senior User
Originally Posted by jstnromero
I have had 2 flushes performed and have had no ill effects. The deal with flushing versus a drain is that the flush changes all (the majority of the fluid) vs a very small amount when dropping the pan. I go by what ford calls for (the flush) as this is supposed to be more than sufficient and is what they recommend. The way that I see it is that the Ford engineers would call a different procedure if the truck should need it. Just my .10 tho.

~jstnromero
Same here no problems after flush 50,000 klm since last one will be done again in spring at 160,000 klm

Old 03-01-2010, 07:59 PM
shuper
New User
What To Do

I've been struggling with the same decision for the past several weeks. Owner's manual for my '05 Lariat SuperCab 5.4L does not indicate transmission/transaxle fluid & filter change until something like 150k. Mine's just turned 40k and I beginning to lose sleep even though tranny shows no sign of any problems. Flushing, knocking down the pan, and changing the filter screen seems such an obvious prevent.

There seems to be more opinions out there than those claiming which engine oil is best. Here are just a few (several on this very forum) I've heard:
  • Never, ever flush;
  • Every 10K miles or so, drop the pan, change the screen, replace five quarts, add a little additive and call it good-to-go;
  • Merc V, used after '02, protects easily for up to 150k. Leave well enough alone;
  • Flush only if relatively low milage, known towing history, and absolutely no signs of tranny trouble;
  • Then and only then, be sure a BJ, Wynn or similar power flush is used;
  • Any signs of tranny problems whatsoever, drain only;
I'm not a DIY kinda' guy---especially when it comes to transmissions. And I simililarily distrust dealership servicemen, Aamco and media-hyped speciality shops. Reputable, local auto repair group does most all my routine stuff, any post-warranty needs and owner's manual recommendations. They have a power flush machine and don't mind my buying filters, fluids, etc. on-line or at Wal-Mart.

I treat my Lariat as if it were an only child and always follow the manual to the letter, except for a few K&N or WIX filter substitutions. But I simply cannot decide if I should flush, drain, or trust.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On my wifer's 2007 Lincoln LT 5.4, I added a Summit Racing external tranny filter for $35 that included mounting. Best $35 I have ever spent for a tranny fluid filter. On both rigs, at 25k, I flushed the tranny and then added the external filter. From now on at 50k, I will flush the tranny and change out the external filter. No more dropping the pan for me and if there is any gunk, my external filter will catch it.

Pap

Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 PM
bigj85
New User
i get it flushed every year at a transmision shop they flush it first then drop the pan and change the filter

Old 03-02-2010, 01:32 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
No flushing for me, I just change fluid and filter on them.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:16 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I don't ever flush them. Just drain it and the torque convertor if possible and replace the filter.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 AM
EBTDM
Senior User
The Transmission Fluid Exchangers that I have researched, connect in series on the pressure line of the transmission to the input line of the cooling radiator.

They have a cleaning cycle in which you pump a cleaning solvent through the transmission (usually calls for about 5 minutes of engine run time). Then filters the old oil so that it can be reused (Hmmm). There are site glasses so that you can watch fluid flow and color.

The exchange cycle pumps fresh oil in while pumping the used oil out. That way you never go low on fluid or pressure internal to the transmission. Again the site glasses come in handy for flow and color.

Knowing how the machines work, should aide you in your decision process.

I myself will do a simple fluid exchange of pumping fresh oil in while pumping old oil out.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 AM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Shuper: You and I are on the same page then. I hear so many good, but so many bad stories, I just don't know what to believe or do.

Now I do have an ESP, so if the tranny fails prior to 6yrs/60K miles, I'm covered. Plus if I get it done at a Ford dealership, they should have record of what was done and all should be covered.

Now one thing I've been told, via another forum, is to ensure the shop that flushes the tranny does not use a reverse flow or reverse flush (something like that) type of machine. They say this can cause debris to clog up the tranny ports and hoses, leading to premature failure. Which I'd hope my dealership has the proper equipment.

If I do get a flush, it'll be by the dealership. I'm simply hoping this will give me piece of mind. If I go the drain route, I have a reputable shop I trust to complete the service.

Appreciate all the suggestions so far, but keep them coming. I'm still on the fence on which avenue to take. Thanks!

Justin

Old 03-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Peter94
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Lead Head
I believe a lot of people say that a flush killed their transmission when their transmission was already on its way out.

You know perhaps it had been shifting weird, slipping a bit, and they figured a flush would do it some good. They get the flush done, and it fully gives out 5,000 miles later. So they figure it must have been the flush that did it, when it probably would have died anyways within the same time span.

Personally I don't get why they don't put drain plugs on torque converters anymore.
This is my belief 100%. In fact i've seen it myself.

I would say do what you are comfortable with. Personally I do not have a tranny flusher (however we do at work) and I basically didn't want to pay our shop for me to do my own labor, so I just decided I would do a "drain and fill plan".

Basically for the next 2 oil changes, drop the pan and drain the fluid. Then on the 3rd one drop the pan and change the filter and fluid. I did this to my GF's 2005 Impala, and noticed that the fluid is still pretty discolored (it was REALLY REALLY REALLY bad when we bought it though) so I might wind up doing it again.

On a side note for flushers. I flushed a Ford Taurus that had about 210K on it with no issues (car still comes back for oil changes every 3k) and even flushed my older Impala that had 120K on it. Before I flushed my Impala it would shift hard (fluid was black) on occasion. After i flushed it the problem continued (as I had expected) however I do not believe it made it worse because I sold it at 140K and everything still worked great on it.

That is why I believe the quote above. Now most people on this board are very cautious about their trucks/cars. However the general public will usually drive their car around without any concern for routine maintenance until they notice it shifting hard or leaking. Then they bring it to get it flushed. and then all of a sudden the transmission fails completely.

So to sum up, if you don't want to drain and fill your transmission for the next few oil changes, then just have it flushed. Or if you are like me and cheap, just drain and fill it for a few oil changes.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
LightningRyan
Senior User
I always just drop the pan. Than I can see if there is anything that shouldn't be in the fluid alot better, ie metal shavings from grinding of gears. if you flush it you have no idea what's going on in there and the solvent can actually eat away at the gears and what not over time ( talking 10+ years). I would recommend a dump and fill!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:27 PM
williamsplumbing
Senior User
My 01 SCrew Lariat, 200K when I sold it, flushed the trans 3 times, not a problem. took my 08 Expy in for a 30K service, trans was serviced. flushed, I'm not sure. had to take it back to have the "program" upgraded.

Quick Reply: Tranny Flush versus Drain?