Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG AT T/A KO - Good all around tire for highway/tow/snow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 PM
schwank
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG AT T/A KO - Good all around tire for highway/tow/snow?

So my recently acquired Ex (53K miles) still has the factory original BFG Rugged Trail tires. The tread is still great but it came out of AZ and there is definitely some cracking on the sidewalls near the bead. Before I start towing all over the place, I definitely want to swap out the tires to avoid any potential issues.

My main use of the truck will be to tow about 5000lbs (loaded wt) of trailer on highways around the region. Secondary use is for snowboard trips during the winter, into areas that require traction tires during stormy weather.

The BFG AT T/A is an E load, snowflake rated tire that looks like it could take care of me for all uses. Would prefer this to having two sets of wheels/tires that must be swapped seasonally. Any reason the T/A would be less than ideal for towing? I understand there might be a small compromise in mileage due to the tread design but any other concerns?

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2010, 01:09 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

You'll likely get a lot of opinions on this one. When I was reseaching, I went with Cooper ATR's and upped to a 285/75. Most swear by Bridgestone REVO 2's, I couldn't justify the price for REVO's considering I like the ATR's on my 4runner alot. The BFG's do not do well mileage wise IMO.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:02 PM
YellowSled
Elder User
BFG AT TA rock! mud, snow, rain, dry pavement.... Only tire I put on my trucks...

Old 02-28-2010, 03:27 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love them. Mileage has alway's been great, 40K+, super in snow, good road manners. Only weak point is in mud, but you have to give up something to be good all around.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Dads79
More Turbo
I've had three sets of them. I have gotten 50k out of them. Great in the snow.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:20 PM
ExpySport
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never quite understood all the hype about the BFG A/T's....until the recent snowstorms we had here in the Mid-Atlantic. My brother swears by the BFG's and has them on his F-250. He swears he will NEVER put a different tire on any of his trucks. He plows with this truck, as well, and he offered for me to ride shotgun with him during his plowing excursions. Well, after riding with him, I am a true believer in the hype now. Those tires were unstoppable!! There is one driveway he plows which is a real PITA. Because of the winds and the location of this house, the snow had drifted across the driveway and made it seem, to me, impossible to navigate up this driveway - 2+ foot drifts in areas. At the base of the driveway, he dropped the blade, and said "hang on". Those tires dug in and got his truck up that 1/8 mile driveway, all while pushing snow. I was blown away and told him how impressed I was - I swore we'd get stopped and bog down, but those BFG's dug in and got the job done. Come time for a new set of tires on my Expedition, I know what I am getting!

Old 02-28-2010, 05:33 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Wear was the problem I had 30k.......here are some options for you to consider
Consumer Survey Results By Category

Old 02-28-2010, 05:43 PM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
Watch out for hydroplaning with the BFG's too.

Bridgestone Revo's are great, but are a bit pricey. I have Firestone Transforce A/T's on my Ex now and love them!!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:09 PM
schwank
Freshman User
It does not appear that the Bridgestone's are snowflake rated however. While any tire may perform well in the snow, the law says in some conditions that 'traction devices' are required. This can be anything from a snowflake tire to chains. I can be fined for not having that rating. So I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone and fine a good overall compromise for both purposes. I really don't put that many miles on the truck per year so having two sets of rubber is overkill for me.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:15 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by schwank
It does not appear that the Bridgestone's are snowflake rated however. While any tire may perform well in the snow, the law says in some conditions that 'traction devices' are required. This can be anything from a snowflake tire to chains. I can be fined for not having that rating. So I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone and fine a good overall compromise for both purposes. I really don't put that many miles on the truck per year so having two sets of rubber is overkill for me.
If you have your heart set on the BFG's then by all means.....get them....they are certainly not a bad tire.....you don't have to convince us that you need the snowflake. Where are you anyway ?

Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 PM
schwank
Freshman User
Sorry, I am in Portland, OR. We run up to Mt Hood a bunch in the winter and there are frequently posted warnings for traction devices. Well, maybe not so frequently this year but...

I don't have my heart set on anything in particular and don't really have experience buying many big truck tires. Just kind of looking for the jack of all trades that best fits my needs.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 PM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by schwank
Sorry, I am in Portland, OR. We run up to Mt Hood a bunch in the winter and there are frequently posted warnings for traction devices. Well, maybe not so frequently this year but...

I don't have my heart set on anything in particular and don't really have experience buying many big truck tires. Just kind of looking for the jack of all trades that best fits my needs.
That's exactly why I gave you the Tire Rack customer ratings.......so you can be better informed when making your decision. I am from the east so I have no idea, but would the snowflake qualify ?? I am thinking they might mean tire chains or equivalent.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:12 PM
schwank
Freshman User
Snowflake tires qualify as 'traction devices' here. Right now I use my VW which has Blizzaks but with appropriate tires the truck will be awesome up there. I've gone without before but the law is the law and if you get in any accident with inappropriate tires you are in a bad spot.

I appreciate the information you guys provide no doubt, hence the post. I am a car guy and definitely search around trying to get as much info as I can before I buy something. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 PM
carrnut
New User
I run the BFG's on my f250 315 75r16 and run the dueller revo's 285 75 r16 on the excursion. The Revos handle extremely well in the snow but you are right they are not snow traction rated tires and if pulled over can receive a ticket if you don't have chains. When the Revo's wear out I will be putting the BFG's on the Ex. cause it's a pain to have two sets of tires since the wife is not inclined to try and install chains. I live in Oregon also and have seen several people fined for not having traction devices. The snowflake does designate the tire as snow traction rated. Several people have said that they don't get the mileage out of the BFG's but I am on my third set and have changed them out at around 50k due to cracking and not for wear. Of course I am fanatical about monitoring tire wear and changing the pressures to ensure even wear across the surface.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
ExpySport
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing to consider about the BFG's and the snowflake rating. As mentioned on the TireRack page, not all of the A/T KO's are branded with the snowflake symbol. Majority are, but double check your particular size. I know off the top of my head the only all-terrain tires branded with the snowflake emblem are the BFG A/T KO's, the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor and the General Grabber AT2. I have been doing research on tires for my Expedition and they are the ones I've found which carry the snowflake symbol. There are others out there which do awesome in the snow, too. Guy at work just put Firestone Destination A/T's on his F-150 and he is raving about them. He said many times he was able to take unplowed roads with 1-2 feet of snow in 2WD and the truck kept chugging along. Another friend has Toyo Open Country A/T's and he said they are very good in light & deep snow. I had Kelly Safari AWR's on my Expedition and they were incredible in the snow. Unfortunately, they are no longer made, so couldn't replace with the same when the time came around.

Quick Reply: BFG AT T/A KO - Good all around tire for highway/tow/snow?