1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Rims

Hey Guys,
Thinking of adding aftermarket rims to my truck. Just wondering what you guys have done to bypass or use the annoying TPMS sensors?? Any tools out there to delete the sensors? Any cheap kits out there to add the sensors to the aftermarket rims? Spartan was supposed to be working on a bypass for them but I've inquired on their site and got no response. I know lots of guys have done it and I'm just wondering the best way to do it. Any and all tricks and tips would be appreciated.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
I was told by Discount Tire that they just transfer them to the new rims but since mine was a job 1 truck I didn't have them so it wasn't an issue. That is what I was told so I hope that helps.

Leon

Old 02-25-2010, 11:38 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brandon D
Hey Guys,
Thinking of adding aftermarket rims to my truck. Just wondering what you guys have done to bypass or use the annoying TPMS sensors?? Any tools out there to delete the sensors? Any cheap kits out there to add the sensors to the aftermarket rims? Spartan was supposed to be working on a bypass for them but I've inquired on their site and got no response. I know lots of guys have done it and I'm just wondering the best way to do it. Any and all tricks and tips would be appreciated.
At this time, there is no way to bypass them without tearing apart your entire dash to pull the wire. Still won't prevent the message center from displaying the issue though.

The ones you may have heard that have done it are those that have trucks where the door sticker says 80/65 PSI. They appear to beable to get away with running all 4 at 65 PSI or a little lower without the sensors tripping. But there's a fine line between what you can run and what won't trip the sensor.

What type of wheels you looking at?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:31 AM
waverunner800
Senior User
When you go to Discount Tire's website, and do a vehicle search, it gives you the option of selecting TPMS. Here's what I get: 2008 FORD F-350 XL CREWCAB 18"OPT. AWD (TPMS)
When I select a certain type of wheel (I selected the Ballistic Jester), and select a store, it list the TPMS Rebuild kit as free....Although, when I clicked on that link it brought up a new window that shows the rebuild kit, which is in the valve stem. On our trucks, I think it's a band around the rim....but, they obviously know the vehicle has TPMS. I would think other stores would be able to transfer the TPMS also.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Thanks guys I'm looking at a set of Mamba M1-8 20" rims for my truck. I found a place that's having a sale on them and shipping to Canada isn't too outrageous. The TPMS sensors on our trucks are on bands on the rims and I don't know anywhere up here where a guy can get a cheap set of replacements? I had to get 3 installed when I bought the truck (smart guys at dealership had only installed 1!!!) and at that time they told me they were over $150 each so that definately increases the price of changing out the rims. Not to mention that they said the factory bands only come in 2 sizes (18" or 20") and they don't fit most aftermarket rims. Was hoping there was a way to disable them or find a cheaper route to take for replacement parts. Thanks for your advice, I guess I'll keep looking.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:38 AM
RuralSurvivalGuide
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Brandon D
Thanks guys I'm looking at a set of Mamba M1-8 20" rims for my truck. I found a place that's having a sale on them and shipping to Canada isn't too outrageous. The TPMS sensors on our trucks are on bands on the rims and I don't know anywhere up here where a guy can get a cheap set of replacements? I had to get 3 installed when I bought the truck (smart guys at dealership had only installed 1!!!) and at that time they told me they were over $150 each so that definately increases the price of changing out the rims. Not to mention that they said the factory bands only come in 2 sizes (18" or 20") and they don't fit most aftermarket rims. Was hoping there was a way to disable them or find a cheaper route to take for replacement parts. Thanks for your advice, I guess I'll keep looking.
I have 17 inch TPMS on mine from the factory. From what I was told, the factory bands are not reusable but the unit itself is. My tire dealer says he can get bands to work with the stock unit,that should be cheaper than OEM. I would think a 20" band would work on any 20" tire(of course thinking gets me in trouble) I checked into puting the TPMS's on the spare, but that will not work either as they are motion sensitive and go to "sleep" while not moving. Info relayed to me by the local tire shop -Les Schwab. Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:48 AM
SERGEANTROD
New User
WANT TO SELL FACTORY RIMS? $$$

Old 03-02-2010, 03:09 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
So I called my dealer and I can pick up 20" bands from them that are supposed to work with all 20" rims and they are $24 each. Then I just re-use the sensors so I guess it's not all that expensive. As for the factory rims I think I have a buddy that wants them but if he backs out I'll post them on here.

Wouldn't you know it that while I was doing the research on this the place that had the rims ran out of stock on the ones I wanted, haha. Anyone know a good place to order rims from? Preferably somewhere that won't rape me on shipping charges to Canada?

Old 03-02-2010, 05:22 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
A word of caution here when selecting new rims. When I was looking a new rims I could not find any that had the same load capacity as the factory rims. Now granted that was well over a year ago and I am running 18".

Things are probably better now, but I would not want to loose the ability for payload and towing when making a change.

Just something to ponder.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:20 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by senix
A word of caution here when selecting new rims. When I was looking a new rims I could not find any that had the same load capacity as the factory rims. Now granted that was well over a year ago and I am running 18".

Things are probably better now, but I would not want to loose the ability for payload and towing when making a change.

Just something to ponder.
Thanks Senix that is probably something that I would never have considered when shopping for a set. I don't tow anything heavy but it would be a shame to have my rims put a limit on that if it came up down the road. Great advice.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 AM
senix
Super Moderator
You're welcome! As you can see in my pic I ended up just keeping my rims. I wanted to go all black.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 PM
TEAM HARD
Senior User
I looked at rims too, also had a hard time finding them with the load capacity, those i did find were more expensive as you might predict. Look to ProComp... unless you are looking for *Bling* *Bling*

http://www.4wheelparts.com/wheels.as...24&ptID=100073

senix - how do you like your Coopers... i went with the same thing and i find them to be real greasy on the highway and very hard to keep balanced. I had them rebalanced twice now after they were installed and still the vibration at speed comes and goes. They clean out well, but nearly any M/T should do that. I am used to the BFG Mud Terrains and they were hard to keep balanced but the vibration wasnt this bad and they had better road manners.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TEAM HARD
I looked at rims too, also had a hard time finding them with the load capacity, those i did find were more expensive as you might predict. Look to ProComp... unless you are looking for *Bling* *Bling*

http://www.4wheelparts.com/wheels.as...24&ptID=100073

senix - how do you like your Coopers... i went with the same thing and i find them to be real greasy on the highway and very hard to keep balanced. I had them rebalanced twice now after they were installed and still the vibration at speed comes and goes. They clean out well, but nearly any M/T should do that. I am used to the BFG Mud Terrains and they were hard to keep balanced but the vibration wasnt this bad and they had better road manners.
Mine are just fine. I have even rotated them with no issues. I had a local truck tire dealer do mine. They specialize in big rigs.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by senix
You're welcome! As you can see in my pic I ended up just keeping my rims. I wanted to go all black.
Yes that is my plan as well, I want to get rid of the chrome rims and black the truck out a little more. Next step is getting rid of the POS chrome side steps and replacing them with some black ones. I guess I'll see what I can find.