The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

Thinking of joining the military.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking of joining the military.

Its something i tried to do several years ago, but was unable to.
I am again thinking about it, but am unsure of it at the moment, i like the idea of it, but i dont like the idea of missing out on life.
Anybody else thought about joining?

Old 02-28-2010, 01:26 AM
da X-man
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you mean missing out on life? I'm thinking about joining the corps when i graduate high school.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:25 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,305 Posts
Originally Posted by Truckin4life
Its something i tried to do several years ago, but was unable to.
I am again thinking about it, but am unsure of it at the moment, i like the idea of it, but i dont like the idea of missing out on life.
Anybody else thought about joining?
If you don't mind an older guy dropping in for a moment. Joined the Marines (0311/infantry) right out of High school did 4 years. Missing out on life is one thing you will not do.... got to see Japan (climbed Mt. Fugi), Philippines, Okinawa. Met tons of great guys. Lots of great memories. Plus the honor to serve the country. It can test what your made up of at times especially now in this world we live in.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:18 PM
da X-man
Elder User
I'm thinking about joining the corps once I graduate high school. For me, it's not serving the country that makes me want to join, it's the brotherhood of marines. It seems like such a great experience.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by scraprat
If you don't mind an older guy dropping in for a moment. Joined the Marines (0311/infantry) right out of High school did 4 years. Missing out on life is one thing you will not do.... got to see Japan (climbed Mt. Fugi), Philippines, Okinawa. Met tons of great guys. Lots of great memories. Plus the honor to serve the country. It can test what your made up of at times especially now in this world we live in.
Another old timer reports:
I don't feel like I missed out on any part of life as a result of the military. What do you think you'll miss out on? The only thing you have to give up is drugs- you don't want to mess with those, anyway.
I did my 20 in the navy, got to spend 2 years in Japan, climbed Mt Fuji, saw 'GI Jane' (the movie) in a Korean movie theater, pointed to a menu that was in Japanese and said "I'll have that" and enjoyed whatever it was immensely. I spent 3 years in Fallon, NV- hunting, fishing, skiing (snow and water), hiking, camping, off-roading, etc. I have been to about 20 countries and now that I am 44 years old, the military is not only paying my college tuition, they are paying me to go to school as well. I had the opportunity to go to a variety of schools and the navy paid for all of my travel and I also got to use tuition assistance to go to traditional college while I was sill on active duty. I got my first Bachelor Degree just before I retired- the navy paid for most of it. I'm now getting my second- the navy is paying for ALL of it.
You won't miss out on life. In fact, your friends will think they've missed out on life because they stayed home. There's a lot of veterans on this site, feel free to ask any of them about military life.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:35 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
Originally Posted by stu37d
Another old timer reports:
I don't feel like I missed out on any part of life as a result of the military. What do you think you'll miss out on? The only thing you have to give up is drugs- you don't want to mess with those, anyway.
I did my 20 in the navy, got to spend 2 years in Japan, climbed Mt Fuji, saw 'GI Jane' (the movie) in a Korean movie theater, pointed to a menu that was in Japanese and said "I'll have that" and enjoyed whatever it was immensely. I spent 3 years in Fallon, NV- hunting, fishing, skiing (snow and water), hiking, camping, off-roading, etc. I have been to about 20 countries and now that I am 44 years old, the military is not only paying my college tuition, they are paying me to go to school as well. I had the opportunity to go to a variety of schools and the navy paid for all of my travel and I also got to use tuition assistance to go to traditional college while I was sill on active duty. I got my first Bachelor Degree just before I retired- the navy paid for most of it. I'm now getting my second- the navy is paying for ALL of it.
You won't miss out on life. In fact, your friends will think they've missed out on life because they stayed home. There's a lot of veterans on this site, feel free to ask any of them about military life.

Thank You both for excellent posts and for your service both are greatly appreciated.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:14 PM
EricW.
Senior User
Don, you'll never miss out on life, if I could've passed the medical requirements I'd have joined regular army...

Old 03-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Truckin4life
Its not so much really missing life. But missing the life i have now...
I have worked VERY hard for everything i have. Medical is what kept me from joining last time but i finally have a doctor that will help me out. Im still debating on it. Still doing lots of research.
Anything yall can add is great
Scraprat and stu37d think you for your input and thank you for your service.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 PM
EricW.
Senior User
What are you worried about missing out on in your current situation?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:02 PM
cOpE!
Senior User
I am not an older guy (only one year to old to post on this forum) but I have 9 years of active duty service in the Air Force and am currently a recruiter. You wont miss out on a thing, no matter what branch you join. The experience is undescribable. And Ive built a lot of cool rides for next to nothing in the base hoby shop. Met alot of great people...pretty sure I havnt missed anything.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Truckin4life
Im not reffering to missing out in life really.

I know there are expirences there that you can get no where else.

The life that i have formed for my self is what i am reffering to, i guess im curious where things will lead...

If i join the military i wouldn't be able to find those things out.

Im not saying no to the idea right now. Still considering it, quite strongly at the moment too.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:35 PM
EricW.
Senior User
Originally Posted by Truckin4life
Im not reffering to missing out in life really.

I know there are expirences there that you can get no where else.

The life that i have formed for my self is what i am reffering to, i guess im curious where things will lead...

If i join the military i wouldn't be able to find those things out.

Im not saying no to the idea right now. Still considering it, quite strongly at the moment too.
How do you figure that Don??? You don't know what the future will bring...

Old 03-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Truckin4life
Exactly, but i have a curious mind and want to know where they go...

Old 06-11-2010, 07:35 AM
jerg_064
Senior User
Sounds like your stuck on a woman.

I joined the AF straight outta high school. Have had good and bad times, been to war twice, now married. Bout to put on Staff Sergeant in 6 weeks at only 22yrs old.

I'm not gonna stay in at the end of my term, but I wouldn't have done things any other way looking back. Even if the military life isn't one you end up liking, you can get out with a heck of a good set of skills.

If anything, it's a good expierence that will set you up for the rest of your life if you take from it what's there to be given.

And if you don't want to leave your home, there's always guard or reserve. Though you won't have nearly as good of an expierence with them, IMHO.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:01 PM
fasttrucker01
Junior User
the military is a great way to start a life, i am only 19, i joined the Navy after high school, went to bootcamp in febuary, now i am in South Carolina for my schooling for the navy, gonna be an mm nuke, this is the best decision i have could have made, especially with the economy the way it is. Also I didnt want to go to college, theres no way of knowing if you could get a job in the field that you studied for. The with everything thats going on also, nuclear power is going to become much bigger, so if i decide to get out i can get a pretty good job, but definatly look into the military, there are many opportunities that you can get though the military. Plus you meet so many different people from all over. I wouldnt trade it

Quick Reply: Thinking of joining the military.