1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans front seal leak and R&R questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans front seal leak and R&R questions

2000 Ex with 7.3 diesel, 4x4, auto trans, 150k miles. It has started a slow leak of trans fluid about 3 months ago (4000 miles). It has been on and off but gotten worse over time and now has dripped at high frequency at occasion to where I am worried about it starting to spew.

I had replaced the fluid 1.5 years ago and did not have to add. I do not think the trans is / was overfilled when this condition started.

I did a bunch of reading and it looks like this may just be the front seal. Is this realistic or may be more wrong with the transmission. I am aware that the front bushing may be out and / or the converter may have a grove worn into it. I am just asking about internal transmission issues aside of the issues that may be around the pump / seal / converter.

- How hard (and how much time) to do the trans R&R to get to the seal?
- Any special tools to R&R the seal?
- Timken Seal okay (from AutoZone, $8.99)?

Ford said $1100 for the job (that's without knowing it is a 4x4). This may pay $50 an hour to do myself.

Thanks in advance for your much valued input!

George

Old 02-23-2010, 11:37 AM
geoaigel
Elder User
I forgot to mention. The leak is coming out of the bellhousing cover, right between the transmission and engine.

Thanks,

George

Old 02-23-2010, 03:35 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you towed anything before or while it started leaking? When the trans gets hot, it will leak fluid from the seal, but it will some times stop leaking. If it is leaking all the time now, you will want to have the seal changed. This kind of leak happens a lot when trying to back a trailer up a hill because of reverse being a higher ratio. It's best to put it in 4x4 low to back loads up.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:01 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
No towing whatsoever. It started to leak very gradually, only leaving a small spot every week or so, but now it is always leaking, sometimes even dripping as I watch. I will have to fix this soon, as it may speed up while driving and I may run the trans low.

Thanks for helping guys!

Georg

Old 02-23-2010, 04:40 PM
danyzf95
Junior User
Last year I had to replace the converter in his 02. When the trans would get warm it leaked similar to what you described. All said and done it was a crack in the converter that would open up when it became warm.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:53 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
This has taken a turn for the better. I was preparing to pull the transmission and took the inspection cover off first, to see the mess. Well, there is practically no trans fluid in the bell housing. I fired the truck up and while it ran observed. The fluid coming out turns out to be DIESEL. My driveway is at an incline and a fuel leak found its way perfectly into the inspection cover between transmission and engine.

I went to inspect the top of the engine around the fuel filter bowl and it turns out to be the common o-ring leak of the fuel drain valve. I had a hard time finding the o-rings in town and after driving around from hardware store to 2 auto places and 1 bolt place I threw in the towel and got the ford part. I didn't want to have the truck down for 4 days waiting for a mail order o-ring. Neither did I want to put it together with regular rubber o-rings and redo the procedure. It isn't hard but it is tough to come by.

Now I just need to drive the truck and see what leaks may persist. I better let some trans fluid out of the transmission too. This explains why my level never went low, even with the copious leak!

Thanks!

George

Old 05-03-2011, 04:27 PM
James_Ellis
New User
Front seal leaking and truck not pulling

Originally Posted by miller_feed
Have you towed anything before or while it started leaking? When the trans gets hot, it will leak fluid from the seal, but it will some times stop leaking. If it is leaking all the time now, you will want to have the seal changed. This kind of leak happens a lot when trying to back a trailer up a hill because of reverse being a higher ratio. It's best to put it in 4x4 low to back loads up.
My Front seal started leaking when pulling out a trailer that was stuck in the mud. After I got the trailer to the gate I stopped to take out of 4x4, when I got back in the truck would not pull. That is when I noticed the transmission leaking from the front seal area. I had it towed to my house to avoid further damage. Should I just add fluid to see if it will pull and stop leaking first, or do you think I have worse problems than this? My Truck is a 1999 F-250 Superduty 4x4, 7.3 diesel 170,000 miles.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:51 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by James_Ellis
My Front seal started leaking when pulling out a trailer that was stuck in the mud. After I got the trailer to the gate I stopped to take out of 4x4, when I got back in the truck would not pull. That is when I noticed the transmission leaking from the front seal area. I had it towed to my house to avoid further damage. Should I just add fluid to see if it will pull and stop leaking first, or do you think I have worse problems than this? My Truck is a 1999 F-250 Superduty 4x4, 7.3 diesel 170,000 miles.
Welcome to FTE.

You can add some fluid and see what happens, but I think you may be looking for a rebuild if it went that far. Check and see if the fluid is dark and smells burnt. If you never had the trans rebuilt with those miles, I think you did good to go that long if you use the truck hard. I have A BTS trans, so I don't have to worry about this happening.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by James_Ellis
Mark K. has chimed in several times in the past about this exact problem description, and his advice seems to be along the lines of:
1) Make sure fluid isn't burned (sniff test).
2) Add fluid.
3) Test drive.

From what I've seen, 90+% of these situations turn out fine with no repairs required. Just an overheated seal that return to normal after cooling.
Using 4 LO in high power, low speed situations helps prevent this.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:55 PM
James_Ellis
New User
Thanks guys for the advice, I added fluid back to normal level and the transmission is pulling fine with no leaks so far. The fluid had a little smell to it but the color was still light red. I am going to use caution for a few days. I may have dodged a bullet for a little while longer. I need to start planning for my replacement tho. Like I said thanks for the help!!

Old 08-18-2011, 05:42 AM
brrybren
New User
my front seal keeps blowing last time after 46 miles any advise