Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Aux Engine Oil Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 04:31 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
congrats on the new ride crew.i bet she tows that 5ver nicely.

so loaded up today,truck and trailer,i ran her up the hills.i just ordered the banks oil temp gauge.iv always been curious and knew i should be monitoring it.this way i'd know if i should get an aux oil cooler or not.
so rather than wait for the gauge,i decided to just pull over after pulling a hill and hit the oil pan with my point and shoot tool...........262 degree's at the pan! hot momma! good thing iv been running synthetic! if 230 is ideal,and banks says 240 is max,im still over 20 + degrees.
she did quickly come right back down to 230 after a couple miles,but she shouldn't get up that high.i'll cure that.

so my list so far,looks like:
Earl's Performance 41600AERL
Perma-Cool 2840

i can fit that cooler nicely under my rad mount and my bottom bar of my plow push plates.5" high x 13" long and 2" thick.i'll just have to rig up a hd metal screen for it to set behind.i can never bump it into the ground,due to it still being greatly higher than the pumpkin,and it's up above the push plates.will be just below the front air valance to receive airflow.
now to investigate aux oil cooler thermostats more.i don't really want it open until 220-230,cus she should really help hold her right there i would think. a nice size cooler like that.

with the thermometer,and pointing around.the highest place was right mid way up the pan.looks like my sender should be right here.i know nothing about having a bung welded.please someone tell me i don't need to pull the pan to do this? or i guess i'll investigate on rigging up something to screw into the drain plug,so i'll have a port this way? seems like they might make fittings to do this?

im not trying too hard right? this is the way to go,and not trying to source a 93-94 water cooled oil cooler right? the few more fins over n/a may work great,but the cost and hassle would just be more involved and more expensive both right?
she can really pull a hill loaded up with the fuel maxed out an FMIC,but she's generating some heat baby!

Old 06-26-2013, 12:29 AM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the oil system on this engine is way over kill, there is a pressure regulator that sends all the unneeded volume back to the pan, all the oil goes thru the cooler, before the regulator, to improve your cooler get the turbo model and drill a 1/8 inch hole in the valve of the thermostat so there is always small amount of cool, coolant moving into the engine, and cooler, in this way the thermostat can't stop, the flow of coolant. use the power stroke oil filter, moble1 601, extra capacity, check your fan clutch for proper operation, my .02 and Banks didn't design your engine, Navistar did.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:16 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
i don't think 262 degrees @ the pan is overkill engine oil cooling.this wasn't even after a large hill.just a longer incline taking off loaded & towing.the reason i chose to pull over and test there,was because no one was around,there was a nice turn out,and i had taken off and held her in 2nd for a 1/4 mile up grade.

i understand who built the engine.however navistar didn't build mine with a turbocharger & intercooler in mind.
im not sure i like the idea replacing the oil cooler.iv read it's a big job.i wont buy used for this engine,and if by drilling something out like a t-stat,this may make the cooler overkill and not get optimum 230 temps.she might run too cool then.
im pretty set on the t-stat aux oil cooler setup.but thanks for the opinions just the same brother.

what got me thinking about this,was the water temps shoot up so quick up the grades.sure it's warm out,and the e-fans keep that in check,but i just got to thinking,that perhaps the reason why they shoot up so fast is because the oil isn't being cooled as well as it should be.so im really thinking this will help with engine cooling all the way around.im asking a bit much for my radiator cooling system with 260 degree oil temps........and who knows what they are on the larger hills.iv never noticed a drop in oil pressure,so nothing extreme has been happening there,but i don't want them to either.with some extra oil cooling,the radiator system will just work a whole lot easier in the summer.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:17 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
i kept meaning to post this sooner but been busy.so i installed an aux oil cooler and it solved my coolant temp spikes nicely back in the heat of summer.
here is my setup with part numbers:

Earl's Performance Temp-A-Cure 16 Row Oil Cooler #41610A
Mocal 200 Degree High-Temp Remote Oil Thermostat #MOC-10ANHT
Perma-Cool Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter #2840
Hy-Lube 1.5-16 Remote Oil Filter Mount
Parker 426-8 ( 1/2" ) High Temperature Hydraulic Hose w/ Jic (AN) Fittings.

i didn't want to move my oil filter for anything,but do you think i could source a basic aux oil cooler/filter sandwich for the ever so popular 7.3l? not for the life of me! i couldn't believe it!
then hy-lube remote filter head was the only oem thread size so i could keep my large filter (most run the fl1995 motorcraft.i run a larger synthetic type with same threads mobil m1601) so i had to pay big too keep that too.
i was/am totally floored at the lack of 7.3l support for aux oil cooler and remote location filter heads and goods.unreal.especially since the 94.5-97 psd share the same filter thread.
i figured for such a popular engine,i could easily choose all kinds of options.i figured id just buy a oil filter sandwich with a/n fittings complete with t-stat and all like popular gas engine choices.....oh no.that would have been too easy and too affordable.no one even makes a basic sandwich without t-stat and basic npt ports......nothing.nada.crazy! so it really costs some coin to keep things "right".aww well,like the old saying goes; if it was easy everyone would do it.

pics attached.
as you can see i mounted two coolers down below the front valance behind a sheet of 1/2 wire screen stock (or whatever it's called.found locally at hardware store.)
it sets up above the front axle and mounted above fisher plow mm push plate cross bar (i know,how convenient) it is not an off road truck (well.on grass or plowing snow,but no running through the woods or trails of course lol.)
the larger rear cooler is a tru-cool aux transmission cooler (on a 180 t-stat - not shown.)
the smaller front cooler is the aux oil cooler (on a 200 t-stat - shown in pic.)

the results were fantastic.
at first i simply did the oil cooler and that cured all that ailed her really.
then i thought well how much better if i ditch that massive aux trans cooler from in between that massive 3" thick front mount intercooler and move that right down with my aux oil cooler.
then that helped even a bit more to reduce the electric cooling fan run time without that blocking air.though that was fairly minimal compared to just the aux oil cooler.the oil temps was much more of the issue than too many coolers stacked behind the grill but both went hand in hand nicely.
no more fast high spikes when at max gross pulling grades.

Attached Images