Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser
Old 11-20-2014, 06:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Windshield cracked - Replace with OEM or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM
captaineddie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield replacement should be covered by your comprehensive, and if I'm not mistaken, would be counted as an "incident" that you did not cause, instead of an "accident" which would mean you or someone else was negligent. If you go with after-market glass, some insurance companies pay the entire cost.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vlmach1
oem is always the best...
Horsefeathers! Ford OEM glass is the softest junk I've ever seen. Within a few months, the glass on my screw was so chipped from bugs it looked like I drove it through a sandstorm.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:26 PM
busyknight
Junior User
Exclamation Windshield stuff: been there, done that!

The OEM glass is Carlite. Chances are very high, it won't be your dealership that replaces the windshield anyway. My Dallas dealership subs that out; in my case, to Richardson [TX] Auto Glass.
If it's something you've got to pay for, out of your own pocket, I'd bypass the dealership (& their markup) and find out who they sub that job out to and then go directly to them. At least you'd get a break from the dealer's markup.
How do I know all this? ....well, let's just say the voice of experience is a powerful thing. Fortunately, in my case, it didn't cost me anything & I made darn sure they replaced the OEM glass with OEM glass (and not something cheaper).

Old 02-23-2012, 07:31 PM
outbacktaz
New User
Originally Posted by captaineddie
Windshield replacement should be covered by your comprehensive, and if I'm not mistaken, would be counted as an "incident" that you did not cause, instead of an "accident" which would mean you or someone else was negligent. If you go with after-market glass, some insurance companies pay the entire cost.
Where do you live CaptainEddie? Obviously not in Alberta!! We're the only Canadian Province that doesn't have the Glass Coverage included in our Premiums. It's an extra that will double up your Premiums here...!

Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald
Horsefeathers! Ford OEM glass is the softest junk I've ever seen. Within a few months, the glass on my screw was so chipped from bugs it looked like I drove it through a sandstorm.
I'm totally with you on this one Lady Fitz!! I bought my truck before going on deployment for 4 weeks, when I came back, the truck was at 2500 kms, had 3 chips off already!! Very very weak OEM windshield on the 2011 F150s...!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 AM
captaineddie
Senior User
Originally Posted by outbacktaz
Where do you live CaptainEddie? Obviously not in Alberta!! We're the only Canadian Province that doesn't have the Glass Coverage included in our Premiums. It's an extra that will double up your Premiums here...!

I'm totally with you on this one Lady Fitz!! I bought my truck before going on deployment for 4 weeks, when I came back, the truck was at 2500 kms, had 3 chips off already!! Very very weak OEM windshield on the 2011 F150s...!
I'm in Georgia. My insurance agent refers to glass breakage, limb damage and other unavoidable things as "acts of God or Satan"! If a person is willing to settle for after-market glass, the insurance company pays the bill. If not, then the deductible applies.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 AM
busyknight
Junior User
Talking

I'm in Georgia. My insurance agent refers to...."acts of...Satan"!

That's becasue he's still tryin' to recover from his last loss:

Charlie Daniels Band "Devil Went Down to Georgia" Grand Ole Opry - YouTube

Old 02-24-2012, 11:08 AM
outbacktaz
New User
I'm in Georgia. My insurance agent refers to glass breakage, limb damage and other unavoidable things as "acts of God or Satan"! If a person is willing to settle for after-market glass, the insurance company pays the bill. If not, then the deductible applies.
I'm not sure but I think Alaska (correct me if I'm wrong!!) and Alberta (I'm sure about here!!) are the only 2 places in North America where glass coverage are not included in Premiums... Sucks!!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:35 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You can buy an OEM brand windshield with the tint at the top if you want it. I had to have mine replaced after only 3 day because of a rock that hit it. The new windshield with the tint cost the same as the others. This cost me $350.00 installed.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 AM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
Originally Posted by osbornk
For those who complain about shoddy work of particular glass company, keep in mind that the shoddy work is due to that particular employee and not the company.
It is the company's fault, a good company would not continue to employ individuals who do shoddy work.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Augster
Senior User
Originally Posted by bnk190
I know people here are hung up on the insurance part but get a load of this.

Per the normal Ford dealer I go to the OEM windshield was $550.

As I may have mentioned or maybe I didn't after reading on the comments on Safelight I decided to call around. I called another dealer who admitted that they don't do the windshields and bring in another company.

That company is someone we used when my wifes car was in an accident and is what Toyota dealers around us use so I knew they did good work.

Their cost installed was $404.

Here is the interesting part. They put in the Ford OEM glass that they get from the dealer. This tech stated most dealers don't have auto glass installers and that when one is needed they contact a company like theirs to come and do it which is why my normal dealer wanted my truck all day.

Next interesting fact. This company places the list price of $547 and sell price of $265.35. That's right. The same glass the dealer was installing for the same list price. The glass is OEM and even states Ford right on it the same place where the original one did.

I was blown away by this and also the work they did has a lifetime warranty as long as I own the truck.

I guess buyer beware.
Yep, this is the same here at my local dealer in SoCal; they don't do the install themselves but contract it out and they quoted $650 to me. Since they didn't do the work themselves my insurance company would not cover it because they didn't list the "contractor" as actually using OEM glass.

So the insurance company recommended Safelite and they quoted $450 for OEM or $250 for non-OEM; all covered by insurance. I went with the OEM glass (and yes, it had the rain sensor if that's what you need).

I had outstanding service from the local Safelite; they walked me around the vehicle before, during and after to ensure they did not damage anything, and they showed me any difference between the original glass and OEM (there was one small logo that was not in the same location as the original).

But it seems that West coast Safelite's provide a much different (and much better) service than East coast Safelite's as I hear countless horror stories of awful service on the "right" coast...

YMMV.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:52 AM
moparmusclecars
Junior User
windshield

I think the Safelite stores are all going to be a bit different. Hopefully, they all strive to be good at what they do, but some are not at the same standard as others. I am here in Montana in a city of about 60,000 people, and the Safelite here is excellent. The guy that does the installations for my body shop has been with the Safelite store here for at least 15 years, and does excellent work. I have never had to call them back for anything. Just depends on that store, manager, and installer(s). Same as a Subway sandwich shop. Some make better sandwiches than other Subway stores. The employees taking pride in what they do can make a big difference in customer service and appreciation.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:01 AM
wolfy
Senior User
Maybe I can offer some insite. I was an engineer at a glass manufacturing plant that made automotive glass. Manly GM. But the specs are very similar. OEM specs for windshields are quite a bit tighter then that of the aftermarket. Now not saying that all aftermarket is bad.

Here is what we did at our plant. We would make the size and thickness and color. And some of this run, depending on the 'draw lines'. This is from the process, many many many variables to this. Anyway during this size run the lower quality would go to the aftermarket and the higher quality goes to the OEM.

The draw lines are easy to see. Its similar to the viewing angle on a tv. Similar to driving and looking out the passenger side of the windshield. The steeper you look the easier you will see the lines. Now that you start to notice this you will see other cars on the road beside you and you will see these lines. Ever been in someones car and the windshield looks like it has waves in it?

Anyway I know for sure that overall the OEM bests the aftermarket in spec. Now if the run was great when making the glass and all the glass say beats the OEM spec, then the aftermarket gets 'better' glass. its a minimum spec. Hopefully I explained that ok.

Just some incite from the automotive glass making process. By the way I was the head of the process that controlled the optics.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Augster
Senior User
Fantastic insight to a process I've never bothered to think about...

Thanks Wolf!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:49 AM
busyknight
Junior User
Lightbulb Hey Wolfy!

What's your take on the "reduced lead" in the glass business? Ever hear of that before (any truth to that)? Is auto glass more "soft" now than say, a decade or two ago (i.e., more prone to chipping / cracking, etc.)?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:00 AM
outbacktaz
New User
Originally Posted by busyknight
What's your take on the "reduced lead" in the glass business? Ever hear of that before (any truth to that)? Is auto glass more "soft" now than say, a decade or two ago (i.e., more prone to chipping / cracking, etc.)?
Is this question directed to Wolfy or at large?

Quick Reply: Windshield cracked - Replace with OEM or aftermarket?