1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Air Suspension Leaks in Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 PM
dalesatter
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Suspension Leaks in Cold Weather

My front right air suspension on my 2004 Navi has trouble filling up in colder weather, anytime it is 50 degrees or cooler. If I warm up engine for a while or drive it a mile or two then park and shut off open the door and restart it usually inflates. Otherwise it is flat and bouncing and the left side looses its air also. Sometimes it will fill up then sink back about halfway. In warmer weather it is just fine. If I turn the key to on but don't start the engine and open the hood, the air pump is working and the right front air bag is trying to fill but if I bounce on the right front fenderning a little I can hear air escaping down under the battery. It sounds like it's coming from the top of the air bag or strut. It's only in cold weather.

Anybody else have this problem in cold weather?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:50 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
there are some o-rings that could be leaking, get a spray bottle with soapy water and spray it down

Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
go_phx
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 06 Navigator Luxury that had those exact same symptoms. Here in Phoenix it wasn't a problem but when we drive to LA to visit in-laws our Navigator would lose air pressure in the front when it was cold and damp outside. Once it would warm up all symptoms would disappear. Dealer replaced air compressor (under warranty) - did not fix. Replaced the "air caps" on the two front air shocks and that seemed to solve the problem.
Looking at my repair order....

18A099 Code D1. Pneumatic Test Failed. Found leaking front air spring caps.

(2) 6L1Z-18A099-CA CAP
(2) 6L7Z-58302-A SPRING

That was back on 11/27 and it's held air since. Good luck. These air systems are a PITA but sure make for a nice ride. Many have done the coil over conversions.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:17 PM
dalesatter
Senior User
I finally got around to replacing the 5 o-rings in my front right airbag yesterday. My initial test drive seemed to produce no impovement. Today again on a longer drive it was pretty much the same results as before I replaced the o-rings. It was fine after warming up. O-ring seal kit was just $30 at Ford, part# 2L7Z 5B302AA, so it was worth a try.

I read elsewhere that the small o-ring that goes around the center strut shaft on top was not plump enough to do the job and adding a second or fatter o-ring could fix it, so I might try that next before I spring for the new cap at $140. The o-ring I am referring to seats up against the cap and the cap had no signs of wear. Actually I need to use the spray bottle next.

I didn't see any spring inside, so I'm not sure where that part would go.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:02 AM
charliebren
New User
I have the exact problem as you. As soon as the weather is above 35 the problem disappears or after I drive the car for a few miles. It is only on the right front. Did you finally resolve your issue?

Old 01-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Waylon77
New User
Hey guys, new to the board. Ive had the same problem here in AZ this winter. The front will usually rise but in the morning it will rise then the front passenger side soulds like it is expelling all the air about half way up. If I drive a few miles (warming up) and shut it off and start it again it usually works fine. Again this only started in the cold weather (below 60). Dropped it off at the dealer yesterday and they told me BOTH front bags are leaking and the seals are all shot and they want $2400 to replace the front shocks and seals. I think they are screwing me. I am going to try and order the o-rings and maybe air caps parts myself and try that first. Any suggestions for step by step instructions? Thanks

Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 PM
charliebren
New User
O rings and air caps will likely do the trick.

I tried O rings alone and still had a leak, so i suspect it was the caps because the bags looked great. But our local O Reilly's had a complete strut/bag/cap assembly for $350. It was more expensive than the cap and rings but I was going to have to wait a week on a cap. And the complete assembly was a heck of a lot easier to install. With a 30MM socket and I think the 5/8 on the top bolts you can swap the assembly in 30 minutes. Just do when it has already leaked down so you don't have to worry about releasing the pressure.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Waylon77
New User
Originally Posted by charliebren
O rings and air caps will likely do the trick.

I tried O rings alone and still had a leak, so i suspect it was the caps because the bags looked great. But our local O Reilly's had a complete strut/bag/cap assembly for $350. It was more expensive than the cap and rings but I was going to have to wait a week on a cap. And the complete assembly was a heck of a lot easier to install. With a 30MM socket and I think the 5/8 on the top bolts you can swap the assembly in 30 minutes. Just do when it has already leaked down so you don't have to worry about releasing the pressure.
Awesome man. Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that and will keep the thread posted. Does the O'Reilly's part come with the solenoid?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 AM
charliebren
New User
The solenoid is the only thing missing from the O Reilly's part. But they do provide new O Rings for the solenoid. Here is the part I used... its been down to 15 at night and I have no leakage and don't have to drive for 10 miles and restart my car to get my right front up..

Arnott Air Suspension AS2139 - Air Suspension Strut Assembly | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 AM
DAF898
New User
Being that I recently had my warranty company pay for a new Compressor and New air bags, and struts and still have this problem in cold weather, I am finally thinking these caps may be the solution. How difficult are these caps to change? Does anyone have posted instructions on this?

Thanks for the info guys, I was getting tired of reading about the need to convert the suspension.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:57 PM
charliebren
New User
If they replaced the bags they might have replaced the caps. I think dealers typically replace them as a kit, just like the one from O Reilly's.

However if you do need to replace the cap, you have to remove the entire shock assembly, deflate the bag and the cap is held on by a bolt to the strut and two push in pins. Pop out the pins and your ready to install the new cap. I think it would be recommended to replace the O Rings on the cap when you install the new cap.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:32 PM
landonspop
New User
I have same issue with 2003 Navi

I have the same cold weather problem. It works fine when over 60* or so..

My entire front stays down, not just 1 side or the other.
Does this make a difference? When cold, my shocks will not even air up even after the compressor runs several times.

My mechanic says he thinks the solenoid is getting stuck open.

I don't want to replace 1 item at a time until we get the right part. I am thinking if he hears air from the solenoid, it could be a ring for the solenoid.

He says the air bags look fine.

Where should I start??

Old 11-30-2011, 02:54 PM
dalesatter
Senior User
I ended up doing the same as charliebren and replaced the whole strut assembly with a unit from Arnot Air Suspension. Everything worked great after that. Since then I was T-Boned at an intersection, rolled, and spun around. Needless to say, I don't drive the same Navi now. I went with a 2008 which puts me on a different forum.

I just wanted to say everyone here has been great. This is the best place for online help I have ever experienced. I haven't had any problems with my 08 Navi yet but when I do I will be back to FTE for help. Talk to you guys then. Thanks for everything!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:41 PM
turborich
Senior User
Hey guys, Do yourself a favor & get your air suspension parts from American Air Suspension. Way cheaper than OEM and better warranty. I picked up a couple of rear bags for my Expedition last year and no issues.

My Expedition bags would leak down over night when cold outside, replaced the bags & now it won't lose any air even after sitting for 2 weeks.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 PM
nathank
New User
Originally Posted by Waylon77
Awesome man. Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that and will keep the thread posted. Does the O'Reilly's part come with the solenoid?
I bought two of the complete assemblies from O'Reilly's this past week, and I can confirm they DO come with solenoids now.

However, mine was leaking at the assembly somewhere and I replaced BOTH front assemblies and now the new ones are leaking. I can inflate them, shut the air suspension switch off and if it sits for a couple of days it will be completely deflated. It's my understanding that it should not do this.

I'm calling Arnott in the morning. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Leaks in Cold Weather