Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Explorer or Aviator

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:51 PM
gawno1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Explorer or Aviator

I am going to start looking for a used truck and was wondering which truck would be best to buy. I keep reading about a lot of problems with the Aviator and was wondering if the Explorer was just a less expensive version.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:36 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
What kinds of problems are you reading about with the Aviator? For the most part, the Mountaineer and Explorer are less expensive versions of the Aviator. That being said, the Aviator does have an instrument cluster and a DOHC 300 HP engine which is NOT shared with the Mountaineer or Explorer.

If the problems with the Aviator you've read about relate to the engine or instrumentation, you probably won't experience those exact issues with the Mountaineer or Explorer. If the systemic problems you've heard about are with the transmission, suspension, brakes, paint, window glass, seats, electronics, etc. then the same issues will likely be present in the Explorer and Mountaineer. As with any "complaint" website you must consider the number of the type of vehicle that were sold and normalize the complaints against the sales volume.

-Rod

Old 01-29-2010, 05:48 PM
gawno1
Freshman User
Thank you for the information. Mostly I heard about problems with the engine. If I do find an Aviator I will try and get a warranty.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:35 PM
jrgoffin
Freshman User
The Aviator is a great truck, but from what I have seen, the major issue with it (and the Mach 1 & Marauder) has been a TSB that deals with the possible need to replace the left cylinder head due to misfires and valve problems. You can Google TSB06-5-13 & 05-22-8. Seems like the COP's are also a real weak link on these DOHC motors!

That being said, I recently bought an '03 with 45,000 miles on it and have had a few gremlins pop up. Fortunately, it was owned by an older gentleman who didn't put many miles on it, but he didn't do much other than put gas in it and have the oil changed regularly. I'm having some issues regarding sluggishness on the highway, but I think I need to just swap out the other six COP's (did two of them already). Had I known better, I would have taken it to a dealer and had them do their computer diagnostics to map out the compression and let me know how all the coils are (like in the TSB's).

Additionally, I have had some recent issues during start where I get no crank at all. I replaced the ignition switch but the starter, battery (which is new), and alternator all check out fine. Might have some problems with a relay, but otherwise all the troubleshooting steps in the service manual are leading me to the Transmission Range Sensor, but if it acts up again, off to the dealer it will go.

The rear "applique" is also a problem for the Aviators, Explorers, and Mountaineers, so you can search for TSB05-24-2. Fortunately, you don't have to replace the rear window, but you can get the lower part replaced or deal with the cracks.

Other than that, there are a lot of parts on the Aviator that are unique to it only, so it could be hard to come by parts down the road. I'm glad I got it though, couldn't pass up on the price, but I'll just hope the low mileage will keep it relatively maintenance free!! I am amazed at how many Aviators I see out there with over 100,000 miles that still bring a decent price. Just my $.02 so far...

Old 01-31-2010, 07:09 AM
Arniect
Freshman User
The Aviator is a huge step up from the comparable Explorer. We love ours, almost 7 years now and still drives and looks like new, with the exception of the crack under the rear window in the plastic trim.

We have not had the COP issue even though ours was included in the extended warranty offered when the issue arose several years ago. Only issues we have had were with the power window's and a bad rear ac condensor that showed up at less than 2000 miles. Since then clear sailing.

The Avistor does not like city driving, it loves to run down the highway at high speeds. its made for road trips.

I expect to get many more years out of the truck.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:00 AM
jrgoffin
Freshman User
I wish mine was liking the highway driving! Well, it does at WOT - really moves, just the surging under light load that will hopefully go away when I swap out six more COP's!

If I could do it again, I'd love to get my hands on this one:

2003 Used Lincoln Aviator at Richards' Motorcars in Boston, MA, IID 4535660

Too bad they initially wanted a bit much for it and refused to budge, but it has been "Sale Pending" now for about three months. Wonder what they would come down to now!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 AM
gawno1
Freshman User
Thank for all your help.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gawno1
Thank you for the information. Mostly I heard about problems with the engine. If I do find an Aviator I will try and get a warranty.
The engine in the Aviator has been around since 1993 starting with the Mark VIII. It has been regularly improved on over the years with ever improved performance in acceleration and fuel economy. My 1994 Mark VIII
gives me 20/22 MPG around town and 26/28 highway only. And thats with 199,000 miles. We have had 4 Mark VIIIs over the years and they were all great autos.
If the Aviator you are looking at is sluggish it's probably because it was never driven at Real highway speeds and needs to be properly broken in. When I was a kid I bought a 2 year old Ford to replace the new '55 Ford Crown Victoria that I wrecked just north of Leadville Colo. I took the Insurance money and bought a '54 Crest liner that was a salesmans car that was never out of Chicago with about 15,000 miles on it. I used it while on convolescent leave, again, just around town. When my leave was ending I loaded my stuff and headed west. The speed limit was "Reasonable and Proper" in Ill. at that time so I put the pedal to the floor and got all the way up to about 60/62 mph, I was not happy. I pretty much kept it at the floor from Chicago 'til nearly Dallas - Ft. Worth before it was starting to do 100 MPH. I went to New Mexico to see a friend and it was bouncing the needle all over the speedo face but that Ford would really run. The moral of the story is besides my being a stupid kid that derned Ford just needed to stretch it legs. After I got out of the army that Ford was one of the faster cars street racing on the west side of Chicago. Then the 283/270HP Chevvys came out.

Sorry for the long story but, my fingers just wouldn't shut up.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 AM
jrgoffin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
If the Aviator you are looking at is sluggish it's probably because it was never driven at Real highway speeds and needs to be properly broken in.
Wow, never thought of that! I am owner #3 of mine. The first was in Brooklyn NY where I suspect the first 25,000 miles over the course of three+ years were mostly local. Owner #2 lived two miles from work and put 20,000 miles on it over the next three years. Here I am with a seven-year-old Aviator that needs more highway miles now!

The COP's are still a weak link, going to put in six more and hope that does the trick. Otherwise, the 4.6 is a great motor - hoping to use it in an FFR Roadster soon enough

Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Spindoctor
Junior User
If it makes a difference to you and if you plan on renting a trailer from U-haul, I'd steer clear of the Explorer badge. That's one of the main reasons I had to sell my Sport Trac. They will never rent a trailer to anyone wishing to tow it with a vehicle badged "Ford Explorer" regardless of tires or maintenance records - their legal department has forever closed that chapter. I'm repeating what U-haul customer service told me over the phone on two occasions - both times they took my reservation over the phone only to turn me away when they saw my truck.