1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

1966 F250 Camper Special new to forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 AM
casanezo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1966 F250 Camper Special new to forum

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and truck ownership, I work with 4 guys who all have 1964 F100's. I always admired how fondly they spoke of their trucks and the valuable information they received from this forum. After several years of prodding from my co-workers I finally took the plunge and bought my very own truck. I am now an official member of their non official truck club. They call themselves the "Live Wires" after the lightning bolt hood emblem on their trucks. My truck is a 1966 F250 Camper Special. It's a couple of years newer that their truck but shares the same body style. I have the V8 emblem on my hood. They have accepted me as one of their own. The story on how I bought the truck is just as amusing as my co-workers. This truck was brought to my attention by fellow forum member killerkjn It was an ad on Craigs List in Seattle. It was a grainy picture saying the truck has rust in flashing and hasn't run in 3 years but was straight and asking $1,000 or OBO. We figured it was worth a look. After calling the seller we scheduled a time to take a look at it. It was pretty far away in a rural area outside of Olympia Washington. My F100 friends tagged along as my technical advisers. When we arrived we met the seller and he told us the truck was in a barn a couple of miles away. So we all piled in my car and he guided us to the barn. By now it was dark and snowing. The thought of our pictures being on a milk carton raced through my mind. When we got to the barn we turned on the lights and I remember seeing my friends jaws dropping. Either the truck was very nice or the guy pulled out a chain saw! What we saw was a truck in showroom condition on the interior and exterior, It had been stored in this barn for over 10 years but not driven in 3. The seller told my the history of how his dad bought it new when he was in Jr High. He had saved every record from oil changes to fill ups. He even had the original bill of sale from the Ford/Mercury dealer. Needless to say no haggling was done. I paid the man what he wanted. The only condition was that the seller did not want to sell the truck to someone who would part it out or turn it into a "Hot rod". He wanted someone who would keep it stock. My truck is now running and getting a lot of waves and nods from people. The only mod I have done is add a dual port master cylinder and a power booster on the brakes. I hope I haven't bored you too much but my friends kept insisting that I share this story with fellow Ford Truck enthusiasts. I can tell you that "Barn Finds" Really do exist. I have started a Album so you can see the truck.
Thanks!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:24 AM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice story - and Welcome! to FTE!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:10 PM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE, GREAT looking truck, very nice find.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:16 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Guys wanting to know what sheet trucks are worth and you come along with that find for $1000.00. I call yours the deal of the month.

John

Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Wills1966F100
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greetings casanezo. That's too nice; nothing left for you to do! Hey killerkjn, send me a PM next time you hear about one of those.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jowilker
Guys wanting to know what sheet trucks are worth and you come along with that find for $1000.00. I call yours the Steal of the month.

John
Fixed it for you John What a Beautiful truck you bought, and Welcome to FTE.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:43 PM
SlickFreak
Senior User
WOW!!!!................WOW!!!!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 05:02 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Bill W
Fixed it for you John What a Beautiful truck you bought, and Welcome to FTE.
Uhhh, what did I miss????

John

Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Changed it from Deal of the month to.... Steal of the month, Which IMO he stole it from the guy.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by casanezo
I have started a gallery so you can see the truck.
Where are the gallery pics???

..Sounds like a great truck and a even greater deal!
BarnieTrk

Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM
killerkjn
Mountain Pass
I was there!!!!!

First of all the pictures are in the albums section he hasn't step up a gallery yet. Everyone should check this truck out. It is a once in a lifetime barn find. In all my 30+ years of looking for old cars and trucks this is the best I've ever seen for the money. When we got there to see this truck it was in a dimly lit barn with 3 years of dust covering it. The closer we got to it the bigger my eyes got. When I opened the door my heart was beating so hard it felt like it jumped up my throat. This truck belonged to the owners father who passed away about 10 years ago. He had been paying for storage for it ever since, and get this!!! He didn't like the truck much he wanted a Chevy truck. Right then we knew the truck needed a new home and for $1000 dollars the deal was done.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:28 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by killerkjn
First of all the pictures are in the albums section he hasn't step up a gallery yet. Everyone should check this truck out. It is a once in a lifetime barn find. In all my 30+ years of looking for old cars and trucks this is the best I've ever seen for the money. When we got there to see this truck it was in a dimly lit barn with 3 years of dust covering it. The closer we got to it the bigger my eyes got. When I opened the door my heart was beating so hard it felt like it jumped up my throat. This truck belonged to the owners father who passed away about 10 years ago. He had been paying for storage for it ever since, and get this!!! He didn't like the truck much he wanted a Chevy truck. Right then we knew the truck needed a new home and for $1000 dollars the deal was done.
You're absolutely correct -- that is one fine-looking '66 truck for only 1K$!!
NICE SAVE, FELLAS!!!!
BarnieTrk

Old 01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by BarnieTrk
Where are the gallery pics???

..Sounds like a great truck and a even greater deal!
BarnieTrk
Right where they are supposed to be, click his user name and it will take you there.

John

Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 PM
casanezo
Freshman User
Thanks for the nice comments!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I am working on getting a gallery up and running. I have a few pictures started in the gallery but I only have a couple of pictures of the truck on my work computer. I will try to update as soon as I get home.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Imspry1964
Junior User
Kind of like having a winning lottery ticket, it just brings tears to your eyes...

What a terrific find (and bargain!!!). I hope you have a lot of fun with your new toy. Welcome to the group.

Quick Reply: 1966 F250 Camper Special new to forum