1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Turn Signals Flashing ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:38 PM
brucewon
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Signals Flashing ???

For some reason every once in a while my turn signals stop working and when activated left or right signal will begin to flash as if I have the hazards on. The front continue to work properly but the back will flash. I thought it was linked to the fuse panel under the hood (1955 F100) but I'm not sure anymore. The weird part is that sometimes they will work properly and other times they will flash. Has anyone had this issue before?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
My cyber space guess, ……poor / intermittent box ground for taillights, try a temp ground wire / jumper from the taillight housing to the frame for a month or two.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Do you have the type of signal switch that is built into your steering column, or one that is clamped on?

It sounds as though the switch is starting to go out (short), or you have a short/bad ground somewhere in your back light wires!

It could also be that you have a bad ground forming on one of the back light sockets and it it cross grounding back through the other light. Does it do this when you try to use either signal, or just one in particular?

Brake lights work ok, right?

Old 01-23-2010, 03:11 PM
brucewon
Cross-Country
Turn Signal is clamped onto the column. When they work (right and left) both are fine but when they don't work if I put on the right signal both flash and the same with the left. If i put on the hazards they flash correctly. The brake lights work and the running lights work.

Maybe the switch is going bad, I think I will take it apart to make sure all the wires are connected.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:54 PM
brucewon
Cross-Country
Just opened the switch and tested right and left signals and the light tester is indicating the switch is working.

The weird part is that when I turn on the headlights the rear singals work as they should. Turn off the headlights and they both blink when either the right or left signal is on.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
So I would assume (dangerous I know) that the malfunction is happing now? Try grounding the taillight housing to the frame, (jumper cables)?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Try flip flopping the wires on the right light. Also check the grounds on both back lights. You either have the wires crossed or have a bad ground in the back lights.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:01 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
It sounds simple to me: Turn signals are supposed to flash! LOL

Old 01-23-2010, 09:21 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I think the solution to your problem may have been mentioned previously in this post. Like 3 or 4 times. Check your grounds at the taillights and run a new dedicated ground wire if necessary. A bad ground can cause all kinds of freakiness in a DC system with a common chassis ground. The current signals want very badly to make a complete circuit and will take any path they can to get there. Sometimes that means backfeeding through another circuit. That's exactly what you are seeing.