1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cyclops Anti theft Module ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:39 PM
rackhound
Freshman User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyclops Anti theft Module ?

Hello,
I'm new to FTE
I just purchased a 99 PSD 4x4 a few weeks ago.
My first mods will be anti theft items.
I work in Phoenix Az. which has one of the highest pick up truck theft rates.
I have already installed the jimmy jammers door plates but those only slow a thief down.
Has anyone used the Cyclops theft avoidence module? It seems fairly simple and priced well too.
Thx!

Old 01-22-2010, 10:53 PM
nvreloader
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rackhound,

Take a good look at the Ravelco anti theft system, I was impressed with the info given. A little bit of bear for installing (non mechcanic type), and slightly expensive, but considering the cost of my 2010, I feel it was worth the time and trouble. Short of a hooker or being pulled away by a second rig, it will be there when you come back to it.

Don

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Futuresweets-10
Elder User
Originally Posted by rackhound
Hello,
I'm new to FTE
I have already installed the jimmy jammers door plates but those only slow a thief down.
Has anyone used the Cyclops theft avoidence module? It seems fairly simple and priced well too.
Thx!
Ive never used the product but have been in the automotive electronics business for almost 10 years. I just looked over the product and it looks pretty good. The only thing I would worry about is it going bad since there are a fair amount of components in that small of a space (inside of a relay), but if its built right it would be a good product.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Futuresweets-10
Elder User
Originally Posted by nvreloader
Rackhound,

Take a good look at the Ravelco anti theft system, I was impressed with the info given. A little bit of bear for installing (non mechcanic type), and slightly expensive, but considering the cost of my 2010, I feel it was worth the time and trouble. Short of a hooker or being pulled away by a second rig, it will be there when you come back to it.

Don

Id like to see the Ravelco in person....

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-23-2010, 06:13 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I have the ravelco as well. Ravelco Anti Theft Device.

They can come to you in most areas, should be a rep in Phoenix.

I also tend to back into parking spots.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:56 PM
rackhound
Freshman User

Thanks for the input on anti theft ideas.
I have another ?
If you have a custom tuner with the (no- start) setting will it acomplish the same thing as the ravelco system?
Is the no start setting easy to overcome for a thief ? or do you need a code or something to change the setting?
I got a quote on the ravelco system for $460 installed. That amount could buy a tuner and some custom tunes.
Thx.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:00 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Thanks for the input on anti theft ideas.
I have another ?
If you have a custom tuner with the (no- start) setting will it acomplish the same thing as the ravelco system?
Is the no start setting easy to overcome for a thief ? or do you need a code or something to change the setting?
I got a quote on the ravelco system for $460 installed. That amount could buy a tuner and some custom tunes.
Thx.
ravelco and a tuner are completely different. Not sure you could tell the tuner to not start.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:21 PM
zmanmike
Junior User
Hello,

I live in El Paso, TX which is also a hot spot for vehicle thefts since Mexico is a stone throw away. Anyway, I recently bought an 05 PS crewcab and I installed an inexpensive kill-switch just like I have in all my vehicles. I also use a steering wheel club.

I tapped the fuel-pump inertia switch which is located under the passenger side footpanel and mounted the switch in an out of sight place. If you look under there, you will see the hole on the panel marked "fuel pump reset" or something to that effect that is used to reset the inertia switch.

I bought the mini switch at RadioShack for around $4.00 and a roll of wire at AutoZone for another $6 or so. Make sure the mini flip switch is rated for 5-10amps or so and that the wire is at least the same thickness of the wires you are cutting. When the switch is off, there is usually enough residual fuel pressure in the lines to start the engine for a second (or less) then dies and won't start.

To install, remove the passenger entry footpad by pulling up on it carefully. Then remove the only plastic push-pin thing the is visible next to the inertia switch access hole by prying it up with a screwdriver and pulling with some needle nose pliers. That plastic pin is tough to remove so you will need to pull firmly, but carefully. After that, pull that footwell panel off by pulling carefully towards the rear of the truck in order to release two tabs that attached it to the front door pillar. Once removed you will see the inertia switch. Clip one of the wires going to it, solder two wire leads that are long enough where you plan on installing the mini switch. Make sure you either wrap tape around each solder connection or use shrink tubing or both.

Then to help route the mini switch wires to the driver's side, open your glove box. At either side you will see two tabs or pins that keep the glove box from falling to the floor. Carefully pulls those towards the center of the glove box and fully open the glove box. This will give you access to behind the glove box and help route the wires from the footpanel, over the glove box, to the final destination of your choice. You can mount your kill switch in an ashtray, cup holder, connect it to your uppfitter switches, or you can even make a stealth switch out of your cigarette lighter (which won't be functional anymore) and that way there is no traditional switch that anyone can see or find.

It's a pretty simple install that's cheap (around $10 in parts) and very effective.

Hope this helps. I've done this install on other Fords in the same way and never had an issue with them and of course messing around with your truck's wiring is at your own risk.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
if you had a no start tune written which is i bet possible it would be about the best anti theft tool. reason 1 the tuner locks out other tuners, only your tuner would resolve the tune used. 2 it would take a expensive flash tool to reflash the truck to get it to run. the down side they could tow the truck or steal the contents. also you would have to carry a bulky tuner around

Old 01-24-2010, 05:25 AM
senix
Super Moderator
better theft device is going to be one that goes under the hood and kills the fuel and kills the starter, separately.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:26 PM
tacoma9830
Junior User
I have the Cyclops on my superduty and turbo Focus its a 5 minute plug and play install im pleased with mine had them for two years now with no problems.I believe on the diesel it replaces a relay under the hood on the V-10 it replaces a relay under the dash.

Old 01-03-2023, 09:44 AM
Steve Elder
4th Gear
Cyclops T.A.M. is a great product

Absolutely love the product. Extremely simple install and pretty much brainless activation/deactivation. Valet Mode is important and requires you to actually press a button on the remote. DUH is my level of intelligence required to use it and that's exactly what I need.

Hello,
I'm new to FTE
Thx!

Old 01-04-2023, 08:44 AM
1964 Model
Mountain Pass
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Good morning..
Since I have one of these trucks, I have been following this discussion, with much interest. Please keep the suggestions coming.
I have my wife and I have a really nice 2004 Super Duty with a 6.0 that I bought new, it just turned up 70,000, that I am almost afraid to leave unattended, for the fear of theft.
I really liked the fuel-pump inertia switch idea, as it would not install something electronic, that might hurt the reliability out on the road some place if it failed.
Maybe a couple of switches such as this, and hidden away? I wonder about the one that keeps the gear shift from being moved out of park

I suppose all the thieves know about these possible easy ways to disable a truck. Especially with us talking about it.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, I will leave off here. Thanks so much for the posts..

Old 01-09-2023, 08:45 AM
Cook74
5th Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a Ravelco plug plus a powder coated 1/4" steel steering column lock. After having my last truck stolen from the dealer, I vow never to be a victim again. I also installed jimmi jam.ers on all doors. The collar device is built by Barry Johnston in Alberta, Canada. I think it was $350. Found him on Facebook in the PNW Stolen vehicles forum.

Old 01-13-2023, 06:07 PM
Phil Healy
2nd Gear
Did you install the Revelco yourself? Since I am in Oregon there are nor dealers/installers for Revelco. Thanks

Quick Reply: Cyclops Anti theft Module ?