6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Spartan Tunes on a Mac

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 05:49 PM
seanjackmc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spartan Tunes on a Mac

Does anyone have or know if the software on the DD with Spartan tunes is combatible with a Mac computer. Its all I have and having to go to a friends house everytime I want change tunes sounds like a pain in the A.
SJM

Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 PM
ssharber
Tuned
Fellow Mac user myself. What Mac do you have? Is it an Intel or PPC? I might be able to help

Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 AM
seanjackmc
Senior User
how can you tell, its the 24in version desktop got it less than a year ago. love the Mac. I was told I cannot tune spartan on it unless i run winows os.
figures

Old 01-23-2010, 07:51 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am in the same boat. Only Mac's in my house. Mine is a MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Mac OS 10.5.8.

I really don't want to install Windows on it so I would have to use someone else's computer to handle the tunes as well.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:53 PM
seanjackmc
Senior User
Im thinking I might just install windows on it. Using someone elses computer sounds like a headache. Im not sure how much the windows os system would be but I plan to look into it.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:13 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well Sean, if you don't mind, post what you find out and advise me on what to do. I think Windows is kinda expensive?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:22 PM
mattebury
Senior User
Well, I have a Mac with VMware Fusion installed on it to run Windows XP. I did not have to buy Windows as I used my old install disks from my old PC. VMware will run you $80 if you download it from their site but it's $68 if you buy it from Amazon. Windows 7 Home Premium will run you another $180 from Amazon. I like running VMware rather than bootcamp since I can run both OS's at the same time.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by seanjackmc
Does anyone have or know if the software on the DD with Spartan tunes is combatible with a Mac computer. Its all I have and having to go to a friends house everytime I want change tunes sounds like a pain in the A.
SJM
It's not as bad as you think. If you can borrow your friends PC for about an hour you can get done what you need to and never look back. Once the tunes are loaded on the memory card you don't need to connect to the PC anymore. I think that would be a lot simpler than installing a second operating system that you will rarely use. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:37 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure you can install ubuntu linux in a virtual machine, free.

Once you get there, install "wine"; the windows emulator for linux; then try running youre program.

I'm not sure, but mac may also have some form of windows emulator as well.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:56 PM
ssharber
Tuned
If its an Intel, which if bought in the last 2 years new it is, you can buy Parallels or VMFusionware for around $70. Then you will need an Install Disk for Windows XP or 7. But like Brandon said, it may just be easier to borrow a friends computer, unless you have the need to run Windows on the Mac. Unfortunately in my line of work all the hospital systems use Windows so I need to be able to run the occasional program, so therefore I have it. Mac's can run Windows faster than some original PC's, but unless you need it for other reasons, the cost far outweighs the benefit.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 PM
seanjackmc
Senior User
I have an old dell laptop, Im talking 5 years or so. Will that work for spartan tunes?
So are you saying I can load all the tunes on my memory card once and be done? I was under the impression if I wanted to change tunes I would have ot go back to my computer to do so? I m a little confused here. If I only needed a pc once then its a whole new ball game. I assumed I would need it for everychange of the tune.
Thanks for the help, the more I talk about it the closer I a to ordering it
SJM

Old 01-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by seanjackmc
I have an old dell laptop, Im talking 5 years or so. Will that work for spartan tunes?
So are you saying I can load all the tunes on my memory card once and be done? I was under the impression if I wanted to change tunes I would have ot go back to my computer to do so? I m a little confused here. If I only needed a pc once then its a whole new ball game. I assumed I would need it for everychange of the tune.
Thanks for the help, the more I talk about it the closer I a to ordering it
SJM
Yes the Dell will work just fine for what you need it for. That is why I am suggesting you avoid the headache. You need the PC for about an hour to set up the dashdaq. Then you load your license, config files, tunes, required splash screens and themes on the SD card and then load them onto the tuner. I have hooked my dashdaq to my computer 2 times since I've owned it, the first time when I got it and about 3 weeks ago when I had to update my tuner to the strategy flash tunes. If you're just ordering it then it will already have the strategy flash tunes and will save you the headache. It's a lot less hassle than you think it is. Not sure if you have read any of my other posts but you will NEVER regret spending the money. If you need any help or advice aside from what you find on here or the Spartan site then just send me a PM. Good Luck

Old 01-23-2010, 11:43 PM
mick1955
Senior User
It is not compatible..... The only time you need a windows based computer for the DashDAQ is when your updating the firmware. For that all you have to have is access to a IBM compatible computer or the software that will allow you to operate windows software on your MAC. For all the files on the DashDAQ, themes, sound, splash screen and config file all you need is an sd card reader/writer. Doesn't MAC have these on their computer, or can you purchase one.

When updating the firmware, including downloading the software, installing it on the computer, the total process only takes about 15 minutes.

Tech Support - Firmware Update 2.1.2-1949 / Updating Your DashDAQ

Old 01-24-2010, 05:51 AM
seanjackmc
Senior User
Thanks for the help above guys. Ill shoot you a pm brandon as I get closer to doing it. I have a card reader writer for my mac. So im guessing I will be ok. When I order the DD it should have the lateset frimware on it I would assume.
Im gonna do some more poking around but Im getting ready to do this!!
Thanks for the help again
SJM

Old 01-24-2010, 07:36 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you can also you Parallels Workstation on the Mac to run windows in a VM.

Sam

Quick Reply: Spartan Tunes on a Mac