6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR Elimination?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Hudsonxx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Elimination?

Ok...I have owned my 2004 F250 6.0 since Oct.09 and have already had to deal with the EGR monster. I am now a bit more informed to the issues with this 6.0. I understand to alleviate the major problems surrounding the EGR is simply to take it out of the equation. Ok, what is the best route to do this and what are the pros and cons for taking this step? Still learning, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:49 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the easiest way to do it is to buy a EGR Delete. There are many out there it really is just personal preferance. You could just do the block off. You could make your own delete (has been done and worte about many many times, just do a search on this way). The pros to doing this is you will no longer have all the soot going though your motor, you will get a good clean burn on every fire. You will not have to worry about the cooler going south and causing head gasket (or bolts rather) problems. no pulling that stupid valve out all the time to clean it. that is about it. the cons are if you are in a state that dose emissions test on diesel they may fail your truck because of this. It should pass the test but a visual tamper test if you go the delete route will fail (if they know what to look for.) that is about the only reason that I would know to be bad to delete it. you could do the delete and just leave the valve in the intake pluged in and should pass vissual test.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 PM
janton01
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have essentially the same truck with the 03 build engine. I had a problem with the coolant puking and cooling fan running whenever I had a load behind it. Turned out to be the oil cooler plugged with casting sand. I replaced the oil cooler and egr cooler but had a freeze plug welded into the input end of the egr cooler. Main reason is the likelyhood of NJ really getting into the inspection of then trucks. Mine looks perfectly normal with all components there. Just no exhaust flow through the egr and into the manifold. Cost of the repair was about $2500. That was back in July and everything works great. About 5000 miles since the repair. I also added a coolant filter to eliminate any chance of a repeat of the clogging. Used the NAPA system and it works great. Hope this is helpful.