Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dist and oil

Old 11-20-1999, 12:16 PM
John Boggs
Freshman User
Dist and oil

Well, I was getting oil on the top of my intake manifold with no apparent source. Someone suggested that I may have a distributor oil seal leaking. $1.38 for the part and a little labor, what could go wrong?

Well, I did all of that and put it back together just like the manual said and now it won't start. In fact after trying to start it, the last time it gave out a very loud backfire.

Anybody care to advise me on how to get it to start. What did I do wrong and how to correct it. I hope that it doesn't involve taking out the distributor again, what I a pain. That little bolt is hard to reach--must be a special wrench or something-huh?

Hope I haven't done permanent damage..any help would be appreciated.

J. Boggs

Old 11-20-1999, 07:09 PM
Nitro
Senior User
Dist and oil

What you probably did was put the distributor in out of time. Don't worry, this is very common. What you need to do is re-wire it if you don't want to puul the dist again. First pull oll the wires off the cap. Take the cap off and remember where the rotor is pointing at Top Dead Center. Put the cap back on and turn the dist so the rotor is very near one of the terminals, if not touching it. Then, put the #1 plug wire on that terminal. Wire the rest in accordance with your firing order. If you don't know the order, just call a parts store and they can tell you. It should fire now, but you need to find a timing light and get the dist in time, probably 10 degrees at idle. Tighten the dist bolt and you're done. Let me know what happens.

Nitro
nitro7445@cs.com