Sponsored by: DP Tuner

F5 or F6

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:29 PM
crazer42
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F5 or F6

so i think ive been converted to the dp tuner. i have decided thats what i want form what i have read i believe i will like it better than my current SCT. but money is tight iam seriousy debating whether to stay with the F5 and be able to afford more tunes, or spend the money for the F6. i just wanted some input and see if the F6 would be worth it. or if the F5 would be just fine

thanks

Old 01-18-2010, 01:49 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all depends if you can do without the chip if you decide you want other tunes burned on it.I got the f6 so I will never have to send it back and can try out trial tunes for free.I hate driving in stock tune after having jodys other tunes..IMO

Old 01-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Personally I would sacrifice for the F6 and start small on tunes. They are only an e-mail away.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:10 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

I agree with Rob and Clay, and the go with the F6.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:11 PM
mxracer3276
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Personally I would sacrifice for the F6 and start small on tunes. They are only an e-mail away.
This is what i did, started with one tune, 80e, but now when i can get more tuens without sending the chip back. I feel that i mad the right choice.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:17 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
I would go with a TS blank and a burner from Power Hungry Performance if it were me... Then you can get tunes from any vendor of your choice rather then being married to DP stuff...

Old 01-18-2010, 02:24 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
I would go with a TS blank and a burner from Power Hungry Performance if it were me... Then you can get tunes from any vendor of your choice rather then being married to DP stuff...
IIRC Jody (DP Tuner) is using TS blanks for his stuff anyhow. It would be the best of both worlds to get TW and DP Tuner tunes on the same chip! Like you say you could do it all at home as well.

Don't forget there should be some resale value for that SCT tuner you have. I am not sure how much anymore, but it is worth all the tunes you will get burnt on your chip.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:34 PM
crazer42
Senior User
so he gives free trial tunes

Old 01-18-2010, 02:38 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

yes he does.The tune will work for 10 turns of the key...

Old 01-18-2010, 02:44 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by crazer42
so he gives free trial tunes
Yep, with the purchase of the F-6. You try em and if you like them you can buy them, via downloaded to your computer then onto your F-6, think thats how it works. I had the option of the F-6 but I wanted alot of tunes at one time..

Old 01-18-2010, 02:52 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by sflem849
IIRC Jody (DP Tuner) is using TS blanks for his stuff anyhow. It would be the best of both worlds to get TW and DP Tuner tunes on the same chip! Like you say you could do it all at home as well.

Don't forget there should be some resale value for that SCT tuner you have. I am not sure how much anymore, but it is worth all the tunes you will get burnt on your chip.

Jody does NOT use the TS hardware... Once you go to his Moats chip you are 100% locked to his tuning. IF you want to try something other then his, you have to buy a TS chip...

With a TS chip you can have any tuners tunes out there, other then jodys... You OWN the hardware...

Jody should just lease the chips, beause you cant do crap with them if you dont want to run his... tunes anymore...

Old 01-18-2010, 02:59 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Jody does NOT use the TS hardware... Once you go to his Moats chip you are 100% locked to his tuning. IF you want to try something other then his, you have to buy a TS chip...

With a TS chip you can have any tuners tunes out there, other then jodys... You OWN the hardware...

Jody should just lease the chips, beause you cant do crap with them if you dont want to run his... tunes anymore...
So the F-5's were moates chips as well?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:07 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Correct...

And if you have a DP TS chip jody will not burn on them anymore.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:23 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

So you are locked in. Are the other tuners head and shoulders better than his? Having tried a couple of other trucks with them, I can't say there is much difference. Even one of the diesel mags that did the test on several other tuners showed that there wasn't that much of a difference. So yes, you have choices with the outdated **** chip but so what? Do you have something that is significantly better because the diesel mag showed that given a certain number of mods, the tuners were reasonably close. Choice for the sake of choice is not what I am after.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:36 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by aklim
So you are locked in. Are the other tuners head and shoulders better than his? Having tried a couple of other trucks with them, I can't say there is much difference. Even one of the diesel mags that did the test on several other tuners showed that there wasn't that much of a difference. So yes, you have choices with the outdated **** chip but so what? Do you have something that is significantly better because the diesel mag showed that given a certain number of mods, the tuners were reasonably close. Choice for the sake of choice is not what I am after.

I can look at those dyno graphs and tell you what one scares me the most...

Also, those were all just generic off the shelf tunes for all of them... Once you get into the mods and are looking for safe effective tunes, having the ability to run several differant tuners on a single chip...

Quick Reply: F5 or F6