6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Ford says EGR cooler not part of Emissions Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:24 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
This thread is 3.5 years old. I doubt there are many 6.0 that still have a valid emission warranty, other than purchased extended warranty.
DOH!!!!

ok, well what about the '08 guy then? huh? He started it (this time)...

Old 07-25-2013, 05:58 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This thread is 3.5 years old. I doubt there are many 6.0 that still have a valid emission warranty, other than purchased extended warranty.
Yupper, my ESP is good till 2016. Either way I won't cry if I have to pay the C note.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:23 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by going up 2!
i had mine replaced a couple weeks ago under warranty and they also tried getting my $100 bucks. i argued with them for two days before they agreed and refunded my money. it should b a non deductable repair.Good luck,they dont call them stealerships for nothing
It ceaselessly amazes me how many people will make bone-headed comments like this without thinking beforehand. For those of you NOT in the know, it isn't up to the dealership to decide if the causal part (part that failed) is covered (or not covered) under warranty. It is FoMoCo. Just because you, the customer aren't paying for the repair (or in the case of the OP's example, the cost of the entire repair), SOMEONE IS. The way the system works, is when checking for warranty coverage, each specific part has a "base part number" that is entered online through the vehicle's OASIS (Ford speak for the vehicle's build and other important information) with the mileage entered. The system will either return a "covered under BLAH BLAH BLAH coverage" message or a "not covered" message. At THAT point is when it is determined if the part (or parts) in question are covered (and what type of coverage) or not covered. The deductible that is mandated on some parts/warranty coverage goes back to the FoMoCo, NOT the dealer. So someone please explain to me HOW the dealer is "stealing" in this case? Those of you who try to dispute this higher up the food chain, will only end up with someone else on the other end of the phone who has access no different than any dealership personnel has to your vehicle's information.

Posts and comments like this sometimes make me want to move to other methods for occupying my spare time.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:23 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
DOH!!!!

IMO, EGR is definitely covered. All parts of it including the cooler. But all Powerstrokes only have 5yr/100k emission warranty. If you look at the document Tim posted, you'll see that for purposes of emission warranty, Superduty falls under the heavy duty portion, because GVWR is higher than 8,500#.

I guess it can get complicated if the problem is really the oil cooler, which in most instances is the cause. But if the EGR cooler is leaking, it should be covered.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:35 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
It ceaselessly amazes me how many people will make bone-headed comments like this without thinking beforehand. For those of you NOT in the know, it isn't up to the dealership to decide if the causal part (part that failed) is covered (or not covered) under warranty. It is FoMoCo. Just because you, the customer aren't paying for the repair (or in the case of the OP's example, the cost of the entire repair), SOMEONE IS. The way the system works, is when checking for warranty coverage, each specific part has a "base part number" that is entered online through the vehicle's OASIS (Ford speak for the vehicle's build and other important information) with the mileage entered. The system will either return a "covered under BLAH BLAH BLAH coverage" message or a "not covered" message. At THAT point is when it is determined if the part (or parts) in question are covered (and what type of coverage) or not covered. The deductible that is mandated on some parts/warranty coverage goes back to the FoMoCo, NOT the dealer. So someone please explain to me HOW the dealer is "stealing" in this case? Those of you who try to dispute this higher up the food chain, will only end up with someone else on the other end of the phone who has access no different than any dealership personnel has to your vehicle's information.

Posts and comments like this sometimes make me want to move to other methods for occupying my spare time.
While I agree with you that using the stealership name calling is uncalled for, and we all deeply appreciate all that you do for us here without asking anything in return, I have to question some of what you say about authorizations being cut/dried.

In example, I had a turbo replaced under warranty, in fact, early in the warranty term. I was charged $100 by the dealership. I'm not one to argue with the guy who is still holding my ignition key. Anyway, 6 months later I get a check in the mail for $100 and a letter explaining that the dealership underwent an audit and it was discovered that I should not have been charged because the component was an emission related part. If things worked the way you described Mike, this should not have been possible. Obviously they can and do make mistakes at the service writing level.

A couple years later, different dealership, my EGR valve failed under warranty. Now a more educated warranty consumer, I argued with the service writer that $100 was NOT due, and he made that happen, but I can't say he was cheerful about it.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:46 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
I guess I'm confused on the GVWR thing. That's for truck weight plus whatever load we can put on it, but not counting trailers?

OK--I was thinking under 8500 but my GVWR is 8800

I guess if I could get that PDF to open again I'd reread the warranty thing.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:55 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
bp that happens from pretty much a lazy person taking a guess and not imputting a part number in the system for varification. with all the charges backs going on they are getting better at varifing covarge. im not making an excuse for incomptace by any means
tim the gvrw requirment on warrarty is matched to the gvrw on the door sticker if thats what your asking

Old 07-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Will Bite
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ask ford to just remove the cooler.. I bet they tell you they cant. Then ask them why........

Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 PM
captainkbt
Junior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
DOH!!!!

Yup....just wanted to share my experience. Got a topic going on the 6.4 thread. Sorry if I started something, but I think people should know whats going on with FMC.

And judging from the responses, it sounds like there is still some heated debate about the issue.....

Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 PM
captainkbt
Junior User
Originally Posted by m-chan68

Thank you for your comments and I understand what you are saying but at the moment that I am reaching into my back pocket to pull out my wallet to fork over $867 for a part (+labor) that is clearly covered in the Warranty Guide, I am not really thinking about some higher up at "FoMoCo" and the way they set up the computer system. I want the guy looking at me and talking to me to not sound like some robot and keep telling me "its not covered"......when I am showing him the Warranty Guide in my hand with said parts and systems highlighted with bright yellow marker, I want him to explain to me WHY it is not covered. If they cant answer this they are not being trained well by "FoMoCo" for customer service. Heck that may be the case, I dont know, but I would never run my company like that. The service writer and others are the liason and custodian to the customer. He should be getting and reading the memo on why said parts arent covered so he can tell that to the customer standing in front of him with steam boiling out of his ears.

In short, as the customer, its not my job to be "in the know" of the way "FoMoCo's" computer warranty information is disseminated. My job is to read my manuals and know what I am supposed to be doing to and for my vehicle.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 PM
captainkbt
Junior User
Now a more educated warranty consumer, I argued with the service writer that $100 was NOT due, and he made that happen, but I can't say he was cheerful about it.
Wonder why? It wasnt coming out of his pocket was it?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by captainkbt
Thank you for your comments and I understand what you are saying but at the moment that I am reaching into my back pocket to pull out my wallet to fork over $867 for a part (+labor) that is clearly covered in the Warranty Guide, I am not really thinking about some higher up at "FoMoCo" and the way they set up the computer system. I want the guy looking at me and talking to me to not sound like some robot and keep telling me "its not covered"......when I am showing him the Warranty Guide in my hand with said parts and systems highlighted with bright yellow marker, I want him to explain to me WHY it is not covered. If they cant answer this they are not being trained well by "FoMoCo" for customer service. Heck that may be the case, I dont know, but I would never run my company like that. The service writer and others are the liason and custodian to the customer. He should be getting and reading the memo on why said parts arent covered so he can tell that to the customer standing in front of him with steam boiling out of his ears.

In short, as the customer, its not my job to be "in the know" of the way "FoMoCo's" computer warranty information is disseminated. My job is to read my manuals and know what I am supposed to be doing to and for my vehicle.
sadly ford never tells us why, just like big brother. having worked at a chevy,toyota,dodge and daewoo as well in my time they all are the same.
now would you have been happy if the guy showed you a computer screen?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:19 PM
captainkbt
Junior User
Originally Posted by cheezit
sadly ford never tells us why, just like big brother. having worked at a chevy,toyota,dodge and daewoo as well in my time they all are the same.
now would you have been happy if the guy showed you a computer screen?

LOL....HE DID. He asked me to come around the counter and look at what he was reading on the computer. It said "not covered"......just like he was saying. What Im saying, is that it would help to get a good reason WHY its not covered when I am holding a Warranty Guide for my vehicle saying that "EGR systems" are covered until "5 years or 100K miles" and Ive got 83K on my OD. Or at least throw a bone and sympathize and say he understands what I am saying and offer someone higher to speak with, and we can work from there to solve a problem. Oh yeah, he did say that it was an "EGR valve...so it wasnt covered". I said....."ummm are you going to tell me with a straight face that the 'EGR valve' is not part of the 'EGR System' as stated in the Emissions Warranty Guide?" Now I admit I dont know a whole lot about EGR systems and Im not a mechanic but Im not an blond soccer mom either (no offense to any of you with blond soccer mom wives).

Old 07-25-2013, 10:00 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

sadly the guy did all he could, really do with the exception of getting you his manager. your mad at the messanger, i get that but in this case he was not limited by his stupitiy he was limited by a franchise system. a system that the dealer princable cant change.
if you live in CA then the rules are different there too.
your best recorse is to contact the authority that regulates the automotive repair industry in your state.
and yes i side with you for the record the egr valve is a large part of the egr system, its also an emmision part. some emmision parts are cover 3/36,4/50,6/60 and 7/100. now figure that out

Old 07-26-2013, 05:44 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Originally Posted by captainkbt

Remember, with the emissions warranty, all you are talking about is the $100 deductible, not the full cost of the part/work.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 521pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=694 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 521pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 24689" width=694><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 61.5pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=82><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 521pt; HEIGHT: 61.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl24 height=82 width=694 align=left>If you need more information about getting service under the Federal Emissions Performance Warranty, or if you want to report what you believe to be violations of the terms of this warranty, you may contact :</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.6pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 521pt; HEIGHT: 15.6pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl24 height=21 width=694></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.6pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 521pt; HEIGHT: 15.6pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl24 height=21 width=694 align=left>Manager, Certification and Compliance Division</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 27pt" height=36><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 521pt; HEIGHT: 27pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl24 height=36 width=694 align=left>(6405J)</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.2pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 521pt; HEIGHT: 13.2pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl25 height=18 width=694 align=left>Warranty Claims</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.6pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 521pt; HEIGHT: 15.6pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl24 height=21 width=694 align=left>Environmental Protection Agency</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.6pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 521pt; HEIGHT: 15.6pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl24 height=21 width=694 align=left>Ariel Rios building</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.6pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 521pt; HEIGHT: 15.6pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl24 height=21 width=694 align=left>1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.6pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 521pt; HEIGHT: 15.6pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8" class=xl24 height=21 width=694 align=left>Washington, D.C. 20460</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quick Reply: Ford says EGR cooler not part of Emissions Warranty