Tow Mirror Swap - Direct Fit Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:01 PM
TucsonTripleB
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Tow Mirror Swap - Direct Fit Guide

Calling all mirror swap experts!

I am going to search for salvage tow mirrors to swap on my 2000 X. While there is a great deal of excellent info about this swap on this site, I can't find a direct replacement list. (For examplet, if you have a 2000 - 2001 X with heated mirrors, then all 2000 - 2001 X, f-250, f-350 heated or non-heated tow mirrors are a direct replacement.)

If I have read everything correctly, the mounting of the mirrors is the same from '99 f-series through '05. So, the difference is the plug. It would be great to see a chart or list showing which years/options are direct replacements.

But from a purely selfish perspective, I need to know every direct replacement option for my 2000 X with heated mirrors. I don't care if the tow mirrors are heated as long as they fit. (I live in AZ)

Old 01-15-2010, 02:24 PM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to the search tab above and type in:

New Trailer Tow Mirrors with Turn Signals

Read the whole thing. Will give you all the parts and wiring harnesses you will need to make it work.

Good Luck.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:41 PM
TucsonTripleB
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 03-6L-X
Go to the search tab above and type in:

New Trailer Tow Mirrors with Turn Signals

Read the whole thing. Will give you all the parts and wiring harnesses you will need to make it work.

Good Luck.
Appricate the reply (reps sent for answering)

However, I have read, and just re-read all of these. They are all centered around newer X's upgrading to turn signal/running light mirrors and don't address my direct question, which is:

I just want regular, power, def (or not), telescoping tow mirrors. (no turn signal/running lights etc.)

I currently have 2000 power, def, dogear mirrors. (no turn signal)

Question:
What years/styles of tow mirrors will mount and clip directly into my current wiring harness without any additional wiring.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:32 AM
03-6L-X
Elder User
You should be able to put 03 TT mirrors on your rig. there is a wiring harness if I am not mistaken you need to make sure the defrost works. I will read through them again and let you know what it was. I sold my 03 mirrors to a neighbor that had a 2000X direct fit no problem just need a harness to make defrost work.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:28 AM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Originally Posted by TucsonTripleB
Appricate the reply (reps sent for answering)

I just want regular, power, def (or not), telescoping tow mirrors. (no turn signal/running lights etc.)

I currently have 2000 power, def, dogear mirrors. (no turn signal)

Question:
What years/styles of tow mirrors will mount and clip directly into my current wiring harness without any additional wiring.
Check with Ed here. He is a sponsor and will answer your questions and what exact part number(s) you will need. Probably price competitive on OEM vs aftermarket.

Y2K Ford Parts aka Millennium Ford

www.partsguyed.com

Old 01-17-2010, 02:32 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Any of the tow mirrors without defrost will mount right up.

I think the ones with defrost have a different plug, but I'm not sure on that. But you'll be safe with any tow mirror.

I could take the OEM tow mirrors off of my Ex or my F250 and they'd mount right up to yours without a problem.

Stewart

Old 01-17-2010, 10:35 AM
TucsonTripleB
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 03-6L-X
Check with Ed here. He is a sponsor and will answer your questions and what exact part number(s) you will need. Probably price competitive on OEM vs aftermarket.

Y2K Ford Parts aka Millennium Ford

www.partsguyed.com

Thanks Mike. I sent Ed an email.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Scott, any 99-current mirror will bolt right up.. The differences are in the wiring..Take off your door panel and find your mirror plug.. It should be round, with 3 wires.. That plug is for power mirror function only..IIRC 99-03 had this style of plug..

04-07 has a flat rectagular plug with provisions for heat and signals.. If you get these type of mirrors, you can easily wire up the lights and defrosters..

08+ have an even larger rectangular plug(20-pin?), as they have provisions for power fold/extension if equipped.. These can be wired up also..

Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 AM
TucsonTripleB
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Any of the tow mirrors without defrost will mount right up.

I think the ones with defrost have a different plug, but I'm not sure on that. But you'll be safe with any tow mirror.

I could take the OEM tow mirrors off of my Ex or my F250 and they'd mount right up to yours without a problem.

Stewart

Thanks Stewart. That seems to be the core question. It appears there are round connectors, square connectors, "adaptor wireing harnesses," etc. I am trying to figure out which is which. Is it by year? By options? Some combination?

Hopefully Ed at "Ford Parts Guy" can give me the low down on what years/options will connect directly to my current harness.

Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:44 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

FYI: how to pull door panel..

1: pull and remove sail panel (trim piece at base of A-pillar covering mirror mounting bolts)..
2: Remove red reflector at bottom corner of door panel.. There is a screw behind the reflector which holds the bottom of the panel in place..
3: Lift the panel straight up and then away from door.. Disconnect wiring harness..

Old 01-17-2010, 10:52 AM
TucsonTripleB
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by william_04_x
Scott, any 99-current mirror will bolt right up.. The differences are in the wiring..Take off your door panel and find your mirror plug.. It should be round, with 3 wires.. That plug is for power mirror function only..IIRC 99-03 had this style of plug..

04-07 has a flat rectagular plug with provisions for heat and signals.. If you get these type of mirrors, you can easily wire up the lights and defrosters..

08+ have an even larger rectangular plug(20-pin?), as they have provisions for power fold/extension if equipped.. These can be wired up also..

Thanks William, that helps a lot. I would prefer not to have to wire anything, so it sounds like 99-03 are the years I am looking (with out any additional wiring).

Just one question for clearification. You said "the round plug has three wires and is for power mirror function only." My current dog ear mirrors have defrost on them. Does that mean they have a different connector, or is defrost connected via a different connector?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:55 AM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Thanks William, that helps a lot. I would prefer not to have to wire anything, so it sounds like 99-03 are the years I am looking (with out any additional wiring).

Just one question for clearification. You said "the round plug has three wires and is for power mirror function only." My current dog ear mirrors have defrost on them. Does that mean they have a different connector, or is defrost connected via a different connector?

that's the reason for pulling the door panel off.. check out what you have for an electrical connector.. if you don't want to do any additional wiring, you'll need to know exactly which plug you have.. the door panel comes off very easily.. post back what you find..

Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
My current dog ear mirrors have defrost on them. Does that mean they have a different connector, or is defrost connected via a different connector?
Ooops. I missed that when I composed my prior, above answer.

Like William stated, pull your door panel and see what kind of plug you have.

Stewart

Old 01-17-2010, 12:50 PM
TYZ78F150
Elder User
If you just wanna see what style plug you have, you can just pop off the window switch and see the connector for the mirror.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:03 PM
TucsonTripleB
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Ooops. I missed that when I composed my prior, above answer.

Like William stated, pull your door panel and see what kind of plug you have.

Stewart

Ok, door panel is off. William's door removal instructions were helpful (especially the "lift up" note). Here is some clearification for future help. The "red reflector" is actually a light, and there is a second screw holding the door, located under the window/mirror switches.

Now, what I have is the white round (actually square with rounded edges) connector with three wires. ALSO, coming out of the mirror are two more wires that lead to a second, black connector. I am assuming this is for the defrost?

So, knowing what I have, does Williams original guidance stand?

Am I looking for 99-03 mirrors with or without defrost?
Will all of these have the white, sort of round connector.
Will these units all have the same seperate black connector for the defrost, if the mirror are so equiped?

Thanks guys, you are REALLY helping me narrow down what exactly I need to find.

Quick Reply: Tow Mirror Swap - Direct Fit Guide