2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My truck randomly wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 PM
GirouxBodyShop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck randomly wont start

So I had brought my truck in the shop for the night to let all the ice melt off it ( i live in VT) the next day i started it up and drove it out, drove it to lunch and back to work. At the end of my day i started up and went to put fuel in it ($70 worth, prices are crazy) when i went to start it back up... NOTHING! not a click or a tick. Checked all my lights and had good battery power. Ultimately had dad tow me home. I messed around with it today checked all the fuses (which are good) somehow finally got it turning over but it wont take off. I found the fuel pump reset and tried that, still no luck. cleaned up my connections on the starter, still nothing, took a rubber to the fuel tank, no luck. Now im stuck. Any Ideas / solutions..

2004 F-150 5.4

Much appreciated
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 01-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Wilber15
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theft light flashing fast? key could have lost programming....

Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 PM
GirouxBodyShop
New User
The theft light was blinking fast before i was able to get it to turn over. Now when i turn the key on all is normal except the check engine light is on. Also, I cant hear my fuel pump like i use to be able to. (thats next on my list to check) but it does turn over well. would it still turn over if the key lost programing?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Wilber15
Elder User
On the f150's I don't believe it will. So I'm guessing you've got a fuel supply issue. Only problem you'll have is this is a returnless fuel system, meaning you can't connect to the schrader valve to check pressure. You'll need a scan tool to monitor the FTP pid(should be around 38-39 psi) or possibly disconnect the fuel line from the rail on the intake manifold and install a T fitting.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:45 PM
GirouxBodyShop
New User
So how can i first tell that my fuel pump is getting power? i don't hear it at all turn on like i normally do and i didn't see anything in the manual to point me in the direction of any fuses for a fuel pump.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Wilber15
Elder User
Access the Inertia switch near the under dash fuse panel(passenger floor kick panel) and check for power with a test light on both wires connecting to the switch during the 3 second key on prime(when you turn the key to the run position, it will have voltage for 3 seconds then turn off). If you have power here, you should have power at the pump. This is the easiest place to look. The only other way is to get a schematic and get under the truck and find the harness AT the pump. This is a little harder, as there is less room to get to it.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:54 PM
2004 xlt 5.4
Senior User
There is fuel pump control module on the frame on top of the cross member behind the spare tire
it will need to be removed to get at the part its about 3" wide and 6" long it controls the fuel pump and other fuel functions
Salt gets up there and corodes the box lets water in and you have problems
there about $110.00 to replace I changed mine last year was starting to show signs of corotion I now remove tire in spring and late fall clean area with water hose and spray rust check spray all over it also grease back of spare tire key lock to keep salt out
good luck

Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Run a scan on it. If it's fuel related, you'll have some fuel system codes. If you get a PO191 code most likely it's the fuel pump control module.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:18 AM
GirouxBodyShop
New User
Wilber15: Thanks for all your help, I looked at everything you pointed me to and It all checks out well!!

2004 xlt 5.4 : Its funny that you mentioned the module because just yesterday we decided it was either the fuel pump or the module so I went to ford last night and bought both of them because my dad gets them at cost being a body shop owner. Im going to change the module first and hope that fixes it (the cheaper part) if not, then new fuel pump it is. Thanks for the info on on how to get to get to it. We have decided if its the pump that we are gunna take the box off instead of lowering the tank. I just put 26 gallons in it before it died, and we have overheard hoists in our shop. I really don't feel like draining 26 gallons or trying to take the tank down.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:42 AM
2004 xlt 5.4
Senior User
Keep us posted as to what it was .

Old 01-09-2010, 12:13 PM
GirouxBodyShop
New User
Well id like to say i have good news, but i dont. Yesterday we had it cranking over but it wouldnt fire. So today I changed that module and when i went to start the truck, NOTHING! It wont even crank over. the battery is good and so are all my connections. The theft light on the dash is flashing rapidly when i turn the key in the on position, any ideas?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Probably a dead cell in the battery. I had that happen on the wife's Taurus a couple of years ago. Wouldn't turn over and the lites in the dash were flashing fast. Wen home and got the Mustang battery and stuck it in and it started right up. Replaced the battery and that problem was fixed. 6 years on the original battery wasn't bad. Later that year had problems with it dying while warmed up. After it sat awhile it would start. Each time it had a PO191 code. Changed the fuel rail pressure sensor and it happened again a couple of weeks later. Long story short, I replaced the fuel pump and all was well. The fuel pump driver module is part of the fuel pump assembly on a Taurus. Change the battery with a known good one and see if that helps. If not, run a code scan and see what codes pop up.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:28 PM
GirouxBodyShop
New User
My battery tests perfect on a battery tester and i have changed a fuel module already.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
See what codes you have. It's far cheaper than throwing parts at it.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Wilber15
Elder User
Theft light is flashing fast, it's in vehicle disable mode. It isn't seeing the program in the chipped key. Thinks the truck was stolen....

Quick Reply: My truck randomly wont start