Notices

Raptor Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats funny....he was so convinced that he could build one for the same price.....and now he's got nothin....

Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 AM
frgtflrcn
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think he is also missing that the pre runner he can build for 50k is still 2wd. make that 4wd like the raptor and see where costs end up

Old 01-18-2010, 11:55 AM
carpenter547
Senior User
every one here is barking up the wrong tree.

some of you are on the right track but wrong points are being made.

the raptor as a truck is good. however ....

ford is advertising this truck as "100 mph desert running truck" that uses computers to allow the novice to achieve this rate of speed off road "safely" for only what 30 - 40k?

greaaat job ford lets give the THE stupidest class of people in this world a way to

1 go faster
2 think less
3 start doing the first 2 with out any real experiance doing them before owning this truck.

this truck is going to kill people. sorry to say this but this truck is going to kill many many people and the worst part is it won't even be the owners of the truck since they are safe inside. it will be innocent people around them.

my statistics are simple as is my credentials. i live in the imperial valley right on the way to and containing the glamis sand dunes.

every big holiday over 100 thousand people leave their safe white collar jobs in the big city * they can't even drive right on pavement * and load up to come here. where they proceed to drink as much as they can and play off road racer / bumper buggies. and they die. a good weekend A GOOD WEEKEND NOT WEEK WEEKEND EVENT consists of 3-4 people dying ONLY about 300 - 400 arrests and about the same number of emergency room visits. and this was before people had a FACTORY VEHICLE RATED AT 100 MPH OFF ROAD.

so i said it before i will say it again THANKS FORD FOR CARING ABOUT THOSE OF USE WHO YOU WILL KILL.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:19 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carpenter547
this truck is going to kill people.
Of course this truck is going to kill people. Every vehicle ever made kills people all the time. I'd say just as many people (if they're as stupid as you think they are) will take a regular F150 out and try the same thing they would in a Raptor just because it says "4x4" on the bed.

Stupid people are going to be stupid no matter what they're driving.

It just goes to show you that Ford can't win on here sometimes. You either have people saying "Ford sucks, they won't build a truck that competes with the other two" or "Ford sucks, they built a bad *** truck and its gonna get people killed". Double edged sword I guess.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 PM
006f350diesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1975StroppeBaja
Of course this truck is going to kill people. Every vehicle ever made kills people all the time. I'd say just as many people (if they're as stupid as you think they are) will take a regular F150 out and try the same thing they would in a Raptor just because it says "4x4" on the bed.

Stupid people are going to be stupid no matter what they're driving.

It just goes to show you that Ford can't win on here sometimes. You either have people saying "Ford sucks, they won't build a truck that competes with the other two" or "Ford sucks, they built a bad *** truck and its gonna get people killed". Double edged sword I guess.
I agree. look at diesels for example is someone gonna tell me that a 411hp, 6000lb raptor is more dangerous and deadly than those people that have 400-800hp diesels that weigh 8000lbs with a 12" lift and 38's??. as stated before its all in who is driving it. the wrong person behind an old 100hp ranger can be just as deadly. I commented on this right at the beginning of this thread and ill say it again this thread is way off track......

Old 01-18-2010, 09:11 PM
carpenter547
Senior User
the difference is between the two

the raptor is being sold as "100 mph off road with computers to let you not think while doing it" that is the difference.

the rest of your comparasons are moot because they are out of the price range of most morons.

by your logic ak47's should be able to be sold at 10 dollars on the street corner because "even an idiot could kill or maime with a bb gun" or "what about those people who spend 10k on a sniper rifle *

my logic is simple people are stupid give them the ok to do even more and feel confident that their actions will not have reprecussions and MORE people will get killed and hurt.

but i will remember your argument when a drunk hits your family cuz well hey you can't blame stupid people and infact that drunk would have the right to do it cuz some other drunk would have been ok right?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:48 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't agree with what you are saying carpenter. Show me the literature that says the computer will do everything for you and you don't even have to think while you drive 100mph in the desert

Old 01-18-2010, 10:09 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
the rest of your comparasons are moot because they are out of the price range of most morons.

by your logic ak47's should be able to be sold at 10 dollars on the street corner because "even an idiot could kill or maime with a bb gun" or "what about those people who spend 10k on a sniper rifle *
You keep bringing cost into this. Would you feel better about it if Ford charged $100k for the truck, so that only "smart" people could afford it? And, if a Raptor is in the price range of these morons, then a highly modified diesel truck is definitely in the range. You could have multiple modded PSDs for the cost of one Raptor.

I maintain that, who cares what it is or what it costs, stupid people are still going to be stupid. I don't think you can blame Ford for the marketing of the vehicle. You need to blame the people for being stupid.

If you blame Ford, then you should (maybe you do?) feel the same about the Cobra/Mustang/Camaro/Charger/etc. All the manufacturers advertise "XYZ horsepower!" or "0 to 60 in..?" or "1/4 mile time of..?" so I guess people are more likely to kill with those cars, trying to see if they will really do it?

Furthermore, I suppose fewer people will be killed by a Taurus because it isn't marketed as being fast? Ford didn't tell them it could go fast so they'll never try it? Even though the morons can afford those cars, they're magically smarter because Ford didn't tell them to go fast?

but i will remember your argument when a drunk hits your family cuz well hey you can't blame stupid people and infact that drunk would have the right to do it cuz some other drunk would have been ok right?
No, I did not say that stupid people have the "right" to do stupid things. Just that they're going to do them no matter what. If someone is dumb enough to kill/get killed in a Raptor they're just as likely to kill/get killed in a Ranger.

Oh, and thanks for your thoughts, and along those same lines, I will remember your argument when a drunk hits your family and he's driving a 1981 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup instead of a Raptor.

Of course, this is all just my $0.02. I've been wrong before.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:22 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
The same problem exists for all manufacturers. Toyota has to worry about people building a giant see-saw and driving a Tundra across it or driving at high speed right to the end of a cliff and braking just in time. Dodge has to worry about guys driving through obstacle courses where the truck will be hit with swinging logs and fire. Ford has to worry about blind people driving Mustangs at high speeds. And these are just a few. Many disclaimers out there as well warning people that the events are on a closed course with professional drivers.

It's not just the Raptor, it's all vehicles that are manufactured and marketed to the masses. It's marketing. Happens everyday from the shampoo you use to the food you put on the table. And if there's a way and a will to sue or claim something was faulty or defective, some toehead is going to try to do it just to get something for nothing.
I still stand by my original post above. It's marketing and nothing is going to keep stupid people from being and acting stupid. And a drunk can kill someone just as quickly in a Yugo as they can in a Raptor. Saying this truck is going to kill people is no more sensible than saying guns kill people. We all know that people kill people. There has to be a person guiding and operating any machine like that before it can cause harm to anyone or anything.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Duramaxfanatic1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive jumped my stock 88 f250 3 or 4 times pretty high up there everything in order still

Old 01-19-2010, 12:06 AM
carpenter547
Senior User
my argument is very basic price is included in decision making period. how ever you seem to think i single out ford. this is not true i love ford i credit them with putting food on my table and my first sexual encounter with a lady.

and no the last time i got hit i blamed the idiot who was talking to her friend.
the time before that when i was rear ended at a stop light i blamed the idiot with the motorola.

i blame cell phones and alkie. however this marketing campain is " now you can go fast not think and afford to break it *

Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
006f350diesel
Senior User
the difference is between the two

the raptor is being sold as "100 mph off road with computers to let you not think while doing it" that is the difference.

my logic is simple people are stupid give them the ok to do even more and feel confident that their actions will not have reprecussions and MORE people will get killed and hurt.

where is the 100 mph off road coming from. ive never seen a brochure or a ford commercial that claims this. is this statement coming from 3rd parties that are testing them?? automotive companies know how to protect themselve very well. the only "ford" full video i have found on the raptor has the usual disclaimers on it. Professional driver closed course, do not attempt this at home blah blah blah. correct me if im wrong

Old 01-20-2010, 09:41 PM
carpenter547
Senior User
this

this is where i got my info from.

******** width="560" height="340">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nWzwAp72_Oc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="340" width="560">*********>

it talk about vehicle limit 100 mph off road and stress the high speed desert running.
also talks about the computer compensation for the terrain.
and yes the review was third party however it is motor trend *same people who give the sought after truck of the year award* and we know motor trend to be factual in their reviews.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
ford is advertising this truck as "100 mph desert running truck" that uses computers to allow the novice to achieve this rate of speed off road "safely" for only what 30 - 40k?

greaaat job ford lets give the THE stupidest class of people in this world a way to

THANKS FORD FOR CARING ABOUT THOSE OF USE WHO YOU WILL KILL.

this is where i got my info from.

yes the review was third party however it is motor trend
All of that Ford-blaming and you're getting your info from Motor Trend?

Have you actually seen Ford officially market this in the manner you claim? If so please post a link.

That is a cool video

Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Huck BB62
Senior User
Well

100mph is the electronically limited top speed of the truck. I'm not sure if the tires are rated for much more over that. I've done about 80 offroad on stuff that would yardsale any other truck. Ain't that the purpose?

Quick Reply: Raptor Disaster