Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Keeps gelling...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:16 PM
msmith53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeps gelling...any ideas?

I got a bad tank of fuel. I took it in to my diesel place, and they dropped the fuel tank, drained all the contaminated fuel, cleaned the tank, fuel lines, fuel bowl, put in a new filter and made sure it was good to go. I filled it up at a place they recommended with winter blend, put in 16 oz. of Diesel Kleen winter version, and it ran awesome for about 150 miles. Then, last night on the way home, it went about 35 miles, then started losing power, chugging, and finally quit again. I tried to remove the fuel filter, but it was frozen too tight and wouldn't unscrew at all. I talked to my diesel guy and he thinks probably the fuel bowl heater has gone bad? Any ideas about what's going on? I mean with a cleaned out tank, fuel lines, fuel bowl...fresh winter blend with Diesel Kleen, why would it be gelling up in the fuel bowl? Thanks for any help. This is driving me nuts!! Temp last night was around 0.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:37 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The fuel bowl heater won't save you from gelled fuel. It will only heat a very small amount of fuel in the bowl while all the fuel in the tank, lines and pump would be gelled.

I'd suggest getting a sample of your fuel and putting it in a clear bottle. Leave it outside overnight and you'll be able to see if it's gelling. I'd also carry some diesel 911 to help with gelled fuel.

Are you sure the filter lid was frozen solid and not just on too tight?

Old 01-01-2010, 07:49 PM
msmith53
Senior User
Thanks for the advice. I'm guessing it's frozen, 'cause I used a 1" socket and it wouldn't turn even a hair...started stripping the top of the cap. First winter with a diesel...so I've got a lot to learn. I put 16 oz. of Diesel Kleen white in it...which is twice what it says...can the fuel still gel up? Maybe I need to add a whoie quart to each tank. Tomorrow, I'm taking my portable catalytic heater over to the truck and see if I can warm up the fuel bowl. If I can get the filter out, I'll replace it and try a little Diesel 911 in the bowl, plus put some in the tank.

Any suggestions for removing the fuel filter if the "nut" on top is stripped?

Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Got a big pair of Channel Locks? Use the jaws to try and twist the lid off.
With the DK in there and winter treated diesel I wouldn't think it would gel on you. That sucks. Just keep some 911 with you for those times I guess. I don't think overdosing with the white bottle DK will give any more benefit on preventing gelling though.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:55 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by msmith53
Any suggestions for removing the fuel filter if the "nut" on top is stripped?
Filter wrench or if it's got the grooves on top I've had to go as far as using a punch and 3lb hammer to try to spin one on our OBS 7.3 cause the previous owner put it on a wee bit too tight.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:57 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Channel locks will work. So will an oil filter wrench around the lid. The key will be to open the drain valve on the back of the fuel bowl with the key on. If you have fuel come out, it's not frozen solid in the bowl.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Warm up the bowl if you can and maybe some PB Blast before trying. Worst thing you can do now is fark up the bowl then you're really screwed. No more winter DK. More is not better, just expensive.

Are you sure your fuel pump is not taking a dump on you? It's not cold enough for your fuel to be gelling with what you describe. Check your fuel pump and or pressure.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F350-6
The key will be to open the drain valve on the back of the fuel bowl with the key on. If you have fuel come out, it's not frozen solid in the bowl.
What he said. Watching football and slow typing.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:24 PM
msmith53
Senior User
They checked the fuel pump and said it was putting out plenty of pressure. I'll try the channel locks to see if I can get it open, and I'll see if it drains with the key on. Thanks guys. If it's not gelled up, guess I'll just have it towed in to the shop again and see if they can figure it out.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by msmith53
They checked the fuel pump and said it was putting out plenty of pressure. I'll try the channel locks to see if I can get it open, and I'll see if it drains with the key on. Thanks guys. If it's not gelled up, guess I'll just have it towed in to the shop again and see if they can figure it out.
Better check it again to be sure. It is a electrical motor and when it dumps it dumps. Folks have hit them with a hammer and they start working fine until the next dump.
Edit: while you're at it make sure you have sufficient/good oil in the pan.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:10 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
How did "they" check the pressure?
Buy a freezer thermometer to verify temp in your house freezer. Get a plastic soda bottle and fill it about half full of fuel. Put them in your freezer overnight. Whether liquid or gell the next day, that condition is in your truck.
If you are dealing with gell, add a little K1. It thins the fuel and is a great anti-gell.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:58 AM
damicofuel
Senior User

Diesel fuel suppliment is the winter product to use, while the tank was down did you do in tank mod? The screen in the white mix tube was coated with junk on mine.With pre pump filter and in tank mod no mo problems!!

Old 01-02-2010, 08:39 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by damicofuel
Diesel fuel suppliment is the winter product to use, while the tank was down did you do in tank mod? The screen in the white mix tube was coated with junk on mine.With pre pump filter and in tank mod no mo problems!!
I never gelled until I did the in tank mod and moved the return fuel away from the mixing chamber, after I did the in tank I gelled every time it got to -10 or colder. It would clog at the inlet screen in the stock fuel pump, which is much smaller than the pickup foot screen.

Doing a regulated return system sending a lot of warmed fuel back to the tank finally cured my gelling problems.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:42 AM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you done the CCV mod? If so, make sure that line is not frozen.

Edit: I have done the intank mods with no gelling issues. Not saying it won't do that just that mine has been good for two winters.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:32 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Definitely keep some 911 with you.
Does the truck still run or is it gelled enough it'll shut it down?
Do you have a cold front? That can help keep things warmer under the hood.
More than likely the fuel is gelling in the line, and not in the bowl. There should be enough heat from the engine to keep things thawed out. Maybe try a regulated return like Clux said, or do a homemade version to save cost.

If you get it running, get some #1 or kerosene and dump in there. And just let it sit and run, if you have it turn up the idle.

Just a side note for those not in/or around Iowa, it was -15* at 8:00am.

Quick Reply: Keeps gelling...any ideas?