1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Headlight Lenses...98 Expy.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Jim859
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight Lenses...98 Expy.....

Thanks guys for all your info with the previous problems and issues i have had with my 98 Expedition.....I'm interested in replacing the headlight lenses on this vechicle....after 240,000 miles they are quite beat up and need replacing....looking for any insight into changing them out.....I have the replacement lenses already purchased and by viewing the existing i'm looking for what i have to pull apart to install the new ones.....Thanks for any info you can pass my way.....Have a Great holiday season....enjoy

Old 12-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Gevans17
Posting Guru
replacing headlight assembly on 98 Expy

There are 2 metal retainers behind each headlamp assembly. Push them rearward, then pull up to release headlamp assembly. Disconnect electrical connector to bulb socket. . Pull headlamp assembly out.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:06 PM
fiveohpoepoe
Senior User
Its fairly simple...gevans17 said it perfectly

Old 12-30-2009, 10:17 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Here it is in more detail.

Here's the design concept:
The headlight assemblies slide out forward. They are retained in their current location by a set of ridged steel pins affixed in a horizontal position. The pins fit into teardrop-shaped holes that are punched into movable steel tabs located behind the headlight assemblies. Sliding the tabs upward causes the narrow part of the teardrop to move up and release the grip that the tabs have on the pins. You can then slide the headlight assembly forward, turn the light bulb retaining ring that holds the bulb, and remove the bulb from the headlight assembly. The bulb is still plugged into the wiring, and you have to slightly pry away a plastic clip (don't break it off!) to unlock the bulb from the wiring harness while unplugging the bulb.

Now Simplified:

1. Open the hood.

2. Behind each headlight assembly are two black steel metal strips that have an "L" shaped bend. Pull these up while tipping them slightly back (to release a lock). They should move up about 2". They will not come off (while the headlight assemblies are still in place) and don't need to come off.

3. Slide the headlight assemblies forward, remembering that the headlight wiring is still attached.

4. Twist the knurled plastic collar surrounding the bulb socket to release the light socket from the headlight assembly.

5. The bulb unplugs from the socket once you slightly pry away the plastic clip that locks the bulb to the socket. Don't be Superman during this process.

6. Plug new bulb in, clean with a clean lint-free rag lightly dampened in alcohol. The new bulb must be ultra-clean, even from the skin oil on your fingers.

Reassemble following directions 5 - 2 in reverse order.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:47 AM
Jim859
Freshman User
Thanks

Thanks guys for all the info.....you make it sound very easy....I'll give it a shot today.....Once again Thanks and enjoy your New Years....

Old 12-31-2009, 08:00 AM
outkast_
New User
Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Jim859
Freshman User
Thanks guys for all the info for swapping out my headlight lenses....It went quick and easy.....also found some info on here of an issues I've been having with the heater blower motor.....seems the resistor and the plug end were both burnt out just as I had read on some post on this site.....Thanks once again.....