General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

A Champagne/Sparkling Wine Observation

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:18 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A Champagne/Sparkling Wine Observation

Here's the background. I'm a moderate drinker. Meaning, I like to have a good beer after work most days, and the occasional round of good bourbon or tequila, but I hate to get drunk, and I really hate hangovers. In the past, I've bought a bottle of Champagne or sparkling wine for New Year's Eve, and even though I liked the taste, even one glass would give me a headache the next morning--even though I never came close to copping a buzz off the champagne.

This year, I decided to step the sparkling wine up a notch. Instead of spending $7-8 for a bottle, I "splurged" and spend $16 on a bottle of Chandon Brut sparkling wine. My wife and I each had a glass last night, and are polishing off the rest this morning in the form of mimosas. No headaches.

I just thought it was interesting. I use to abstain from tequila because it had a certain undesirable effect on me also, until my BIL introduced me to better tequila, which does not cause the same "urgencies" the next day.

Jason

Old 01-01-2010, 08:28 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most red wine won't hang me over, white wine usually produces a headache, and any sparkling wine and my head will practically explode the next day.

Certain beer brands will also give me a hangover, Budweiser and Coors are the worst. I'm ok with most whiskeys, but scotch has made me want to kill myself a time or two the next day.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:42 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
I don't drink wine or Champagne, so I have no idea if that gives me a hangover. Scotch kills me for atleast two full days if I have enough of it. Whiskey gives me a little hangover, but the worst for me is Budweiser... it kills me. I have no idea why. I can drink a 12 pack of any other beer without an issue the next morning, but two Buds hurt me the next day. No matter what or how much I drink it always messes with my stomach the next day. Anything more than a couple of beers and I'm on the toilet for an hour the next day.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:25 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Nothing really gets to me except 'excess'......And I don't do near as much of that as I once did. I hate hangovers! Now PBRs give me a headache, so I just don't drink it---ever. I'll get a headache response quicker if I drink too much beer than if I drink too much wine. I'm not a fan of champagne, so I don't really know......But I heard (don't quote me on this) that carbonation in drinks (like coke or pepsi in a mixed drink) will 'headache' you quicker than if your putting in a squirt of bitters and some simple water.......

When I drink rum or boubon, that's how I mix it. On the rocks with a squirt of lemon in bourbon---lime in the rum---and a quick drizzle of water..........mix and drink. I rarely get a headache.

I remember back in the day literally starting early with beer......Going to mixed drinks (like rum & coke), then doing double shots of whatever into the wee hours (oh.....0300 or so), and not really remembering how I got home.......(this was Okinawa....bar-hopping.....on foot)..........and while I had dizzy, queasy, headachy hangovers most of the next day, I never drank myself to the puking stage........Strong stomach I guess. Thinking about how much I did drink, there were guys puking after having drunk a lot less.........

My head, however!

Old 01-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Keepin It Real
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't drink anymore, but when I did, I discovered that taking a couple aspirin before starting helped with hangovers the next day. Even then I only drank when I was alone or with somebody.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:02 PM
first today
Postmaster

This reminds me of a joke.

A guy comes stumbling out of a bar after striking out with the ladies. He stops in the ally to have a smoke when he sees a bum passed out with his butt in the air. The guy decides to alleviate his displeasure on the bum. When he is done he sticks a twenty in his jacket pocket and goes home.

The bum wakes up in the morning rubbing and scratching himself and finds the twenty. He runs down to the liquor store and tells the clerk that he wants twenty dollars of the cheapest wine they have. The bum goes back to his alley and drinks until he passes out.

The guy from the bar comes out again thinking that the bum was pretty good and wanted some more. He walks in the alley to the bum and gets his fill. This time he puts a fifty dollar bill in the bums pocket.

The bum wakes up again and scratches until he finds the fifty dollar bill. He runs down to the liquor store and tells the clerk he wants fifty dollars of the cheapest wine he has. The bum goes back to the alley and drinks himself out cold.

The bar guy goes back to the alley for a third night of luck and leaves a hundred dollars in the bums pocket.

The bum gets up in the morning and goes straight to his pocket and pulls out the hundred dollars. He runs to the liquor store and tells the clerk he wants the finest wine possible for a hundred bucks.

The clerk looks at him and says,"Two days ago you got twenty dollars of the cheapest wine. Yesterday you got fifty dollars of the cheapest wine. Today you want a hundred dollars of the best. What is the deal?" The bum says that cheap stuff tears my butt up.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:45 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Heres' a bit of off-key humor-

A drunk man walks into a bar with an octopuss under his arm, he walks up an slams it down and turns to the patrons and says loudly "I will bet any man in here this octopuss can play any instrument you can lay down to it"

So the first guy says " I wanna see this" and lays down a flute-The octopuss plays it perfectly

The second guy lays down an electric guitar-Octopuss plays the guitat better than Jimi Hendrix

At last a third guy, a scottish guy, tosses a set of bag-pipes down, and the octopuss just sits and looks at them confused and dumbfounded.

"Whats a wrong laddie, Can't ya playem?" Said the scot

After a few more minutes of dumbness the octopuss looks up in a really serious face and says "Play them, after I figure out how to get her pajamas off I am gonna F**** them..."

Jus throwin that out there-

-Wes

Old 01-02-2010, 10:23 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back during my drinking days, when money was the primary factor on the drink of coice, I drank whatever I could get cheaply. When I started earning decent money I switched to Bud. Soon the Budweiser began giving me headaches, even after only a few of them. Someone told me it was because of the rice Bud uses in their formula....Something to do with how the rice turns to sugar and that somehow causes a differnt reaction in the body. I swithced to Miller Lite and the headaches went away. Maybe some truth to it, I don't know. Also, hydration is the key to avoiding a hangover. On the days I knew I had drank too much, I would force myself to drink some water before bed and when I would wake up with a terrible hangover, I'd take a couple of Motrin and another glass of water and go back to sleep for a couple of hours. It seemed to work pretty well, but the best hangover prevention I have discovered is to abstain from alcohol completely. Seriously, for the last 18 years I have not had one alcohol related headache.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:54 AM
vortilon
Senior User
Budweiser? Thats an import now, if you are going to drink an import it's Guinness stout for strength.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:07 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
I haven't touched anything in about 15 years and i'm damned glad of it. But, when I was a drinker Bud killed me. From the Carribean, Red strip would tear my head up!

Stu mentioned hydration. Truer words have never been spoke as alcohol will dehydrate you and that's partially what causes the headaches. Cheap beer and booze is simply not worth the money or the pain the next day.

Tim

Old 01-02-2010, 10:25 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

I've never been a Bud fan. Baaaaaaad hangovers. All I have to do is mix in ONE Budweiser over the course of a night, and I'm feeling it in the morning.

But I have found an excellent cheap beer.

$8.00 for a 6 pack.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:29 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bigrigfixer
$8.00 for a 6 pack.
Hate to break it to you, but $8 a 6-pack ain't cheap, even in Canadian money.

Cheap is maybe $8 a 12 pack.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:31 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Originally Posted by clux
Hate to break it to you, but $8 a 6-pack ain't cheap, even in Canadian money.

Cheap is maybe $8 a 12 pack.
Still cheaper than $2.00 for a Corona. That's my benchmark.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:33 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Corona's about $8 a 6-pack around here. Must be the shipping on up there to Canada, or your Government is really sticking it to Modelo on import duties.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:44 PM
vortilon
Senior User
When I was young a six pack would last me an hour, now it will last a week or just sit there for a month. But when I want a beer I like real quality beer, there are some micro brewery beers that are not bad but I generally drink Irish or English beers. Hangovers are a no factor for me.

Quick Reply: A Champagne/Sparkling Wine Observation