Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brown crap in the cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:36 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My coolant looked like that (old oxidized carrot juice) when I bought the truck. I ran 100% water and would flush and refill with 100% water every couple days for two weeks. Then I used a coolant flush product by JB and used as directed. After that, I ran water for another week then switched to 50/50. I just changed my Tstat a couple weeks ago and the coolant still looks like new after two years.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:39 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your cooling system is full of a bunch of crapp . like Andy said flush it good with the kit several times , then put in some good coolant & keep your fingers out of your *** & don't crapp in the radiator & it should be fine , you may need to take the radiator to a radiator shop & have it cleaned out.....Lew

Old 05-03-2010, 06:41 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The brown stuff is either rust and dirt or it might be oil from a leaky seal somewhere.

If it is just rust and dirt, I would do like the ohter guys said. Dump as much of the dirty coolant as possible. Fill with clean water and drive around a day, dump it etc. I also like to backflush the system. The Prestone flush kit works pretty well. Be sure to backflush the heater core since a lot of junk collects there.

Then get a cooling system chemical cleaner, follow directions etc. BUT, if it is mild like Prestone Power Flush, I like to drive to work and back or take a short drive for less than an hour or so. Then flush, backflush, fill with water drive around a day etc. I even will fill with clean water and drive every day and dump the water every day for maybe a week.

Then the final flush I fill FIRST with the correct amount of coolant. Lets say the truck takes 15 quarts I put in 7-8 quarts of coolant and then top up with water. Distilled is probably better. The reason I fill first with coolant is that plenty of water is trapped in the block etc so to prevent having a diluted coolant, I put in the right amount first and then fill with water, which is usually half of what you think it would take. Then I drive for a week and check the coolant every day and top us as needed. On future top ups use only coolant, not water since the coolant weakens over time so you want stronger coolant to top up.

If it is OIL, you have a problem. Check the inside of the oil filler cap and the dip stick. If you find some creamy deposit that looks like a light colored puddin, you have water in the oil and possibly oil in your water. You will then need to fiure out where the leak is and fix it.

ood Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 05-03-2010, 09:16 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jim henderson
I fill FIRST with the correct amount of coolant. Lets say the truck takes 15 quarts I put in 7-8 quarts of coolant and then top up with water. Distilled is probably better. The reason I fill first with coolant is that plenty of water is trapped in the block etc so to prevent having a diluted coolant, I put in the right amount first and then fill with water, which is usually half of what you think it would take.
I do the same. glad you added it.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 PM
JoshRountree
Freshman User
Thanks guys, looks like I'll do the flush fill routine for a while.

It seems someone tried to flush it previously b/c it has a flush tee already in the heater core inlet. I took the cap off, it's gunked up pretty good. This might get interesting.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Xclimation
Senior User
Add me to the list with this crap in my cooling system! The PO neglected the cooling system pretty bad. And, I suspect some stop leak was used at some point. When I first bought the truck; The heater hoses were completely blocked the entire length of the hoses! I've never seen anything like it! And the PO is a mechanic to boot! I replaced the entire cooling system. And I mean everything! Pump, Radiator, all hoses, T-stat, hoses, heater core. All except fan and clutch fan. I still get that rust looking crap from the crap trapped in the block. I'm about 99% positive it's not oil either. I just replaced my oil pan gasket a few months ago, and there was nothing to indicated any coolant in oil. Also, the orangy/rust crap is nothing like oil. I've seen enough oil in coolant to know the difference. Anyway, It is frustrating as I have flush n filled 3 times in the past 2 years, and still get that crap. Its less and less each time, but Antifreeze ain't as cheap as it used to be!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:18 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
antifreeze = ain't cheep. That's why it might be good to flush and refill with water sever times for a week or so before adding coolant. That way you can just be done with it.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Xclimation
Senior User
Originally Posted by skyfox10
antifreeze = ain't cheep. That's why it might be good to flush and refill with water sever times for a week or so before adding coolant. That way you can just be done with it.
I hear ya. I do exactly this. After this, I refill like your supposed to (50/50) antifreeze/distilled h2o, but the more crap from the block gets loosened, and makes a comeback! Another flush or two, I should have most of it out.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:23 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
wow, what a PITA. Good luck