Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Posting Guru

2000ca250 has a good reputation on FTE.2000ca250 has a good reputation on FTE.
up-pipe replacement

pretty simple question. I have the stock up-pipes (as far as I can tell) on my truck, and am debating whether or not to replace them with the bellowed up-pipes. I have no visible exhaust leakage, and I was just wondering whether it makes a huge difference replacing the stock up-pipes if they are not leaking yet...

so should i spend my money on a new set of up-pipes or on a limited slip rear diff?
Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 AM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
I'd be willing to bet good money they're leaking, you just haven't discovered where yet.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:22 AM
Posting Guru

well as far back behind the engine as I can see i do not see any soot....are there other signs of leakage that I should be looking for? is it worth the 500 for new ones if i cant see a significant leak?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:56 AM
Post Fiend

ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
if there not leaking dont worry about it right now..if you got $$$ too burn..then go for it..you dont get any extra power from putting them on..i been seeing quite a few DI bellow for sale in the classifieds over on PSN..i got a set of new IH pipes over there for $100 a couple years ago..
Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,SRP 1.1 for oil,H-11 stud's,"NEW" alliant 315/200 hybrids, all supplied by unlimited diesel..shimmed 910's, DI push rod's, Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401 ..tuned by Gearhead..

1988 F250 7,3 IDI with 112k-bone stock plow truck..
Old 12-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Senior User

nunya001 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a running list of long term maintenance/fix goals for my truck - the up pipes were on it and I had the same questions you did. Btw, mine were leaking, but not terribly. I plan to drive and maintain my truck for a reasonably long period of time - I asked Clay at Riff Raff if he thought it was worth the money b/c $400+ is a little steep. His response was balanced and intelligent. You can repair the stock donuts, but at some undetermined time they will fail again. If may be 50k or 5k miles and then you'll need to pull the turbo, etc. . . .the cost of the part makes up for the cost of the repair multiple times and there is some piece of mind in knowing that your truck is well set up. In most circles people would think I'm strange for having a running list of maintenance/ fix/ improve goals but here it seems more the rule than the exception. With it comes no guarantee, but confidence in the service my truck will provide. Hell - that was long winded - sorry.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 AM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
I didn't see any soot on my up pipes untill I got my DP TUNER. I couldn't make smoke before the chip. I think my pipes were leaking before, but I couldn't see it.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Turbochargers rely on exhaust drive pressure to build boost.
If there are any leaks, the boost will build slower and not as high.
The more boost is needed the faster that leak will bleed off pressure.
It's never an issue at light load, idle, etc.
The real problems begin when the engine is really needing to make some power, such as pulling a trailer up a mountain pass.
That is where the big difference will be.
I have bellowed pipes.
On the PHP 80hp tune, I stomp on the throttle, exhaust belches a large puff of black smoke, then the turbo spools up NOW and the smoke clears as the truck takes off like a scalded dog.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Senior User

togobefastguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
i cant see soot on my pipes but i know they are leaking, i reached way in behind the turbo and felt the pipes and my hand was covered with soot. 2 reasons that i knew they were leaking, 1. when i would let to truck warm up i could smell exhaust in the cab, 2. i have noticed the my boost pressure was slowly going down, not having the max number i used to.
00 F250 136k handshaker 4x4 zoodad 6637 cold air ccv aih delete ww foil delete 6.0 intercooler turbo back stacks overboost s.shpx 140 idm schaffers engine oil fumoto hutched and harpooned 203* dp tuner full syn fluids traction bars blisten shocks
Old 12-30-2009, 09:55 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.
/pages/Riffraff-Diesel/103160771064 riffraffdiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000ca250 View Post
well as far back behind the engine as I can see i do not see any soot....are there other signs of leakage that I should be looking for? is it worth the $500 for new ones if i cant see a significant leak?
If you end up deciding to do it you shouldn't have to pay this much...
Old 12-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Post Fiend

big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
These Up-pipes are on my first to do list when I get back to work, I just got a very very small area after the BB on the pipe where Pete duckfan pointed out to me at RRE09 so they will be going in at some point in the near future. No noticeable power loss or smell but I'm doing them because they will need to be changed out sometime, might as well do it now before the price goes up again, and they will..Clay's who I'll be calling.
Mike's 03 [FONT=Verdana]F-250 7.3 CC SB XLT 4x4 Auto and just joined the 229,000 miles and counting. [FONT=Comic Sans MS]PAA#26 Wife's: Whoops, I mean an 08 (Explorer) Eddie B. 4.0 v6 4x4 109,000
Old 12-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Elder User

USAF CCM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.USAF CCM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya001 View Post
I have a running list of long term maintenance/fix goals for my truck - the up pipes were on it and I had the same questions you did. Btw, mine were leaking, but not terribly. I plan to drive and maintain my truck for a reasonably long period of time - I asked Clay at Riff Raff if he thought it was worth the money b/c $400+ is a little steep. His response was balanced and intelligent. You can repair the stock donuts, but at some undetermined time they will fail again. If may be 50k or 5k miles and then you'll need to pull the turbo, etc. . . .the cost of the part makes up for the cost of the repair multiple times and there is some piece of mind in knowing that your truck is well set up. In most circles people would think I'm strange for having a running list of maintenance/ fix/ improve goals but here it seems more the rule than the exception. With it comes no guarantee, but confidence in the service my truck will provide. Hell - that was long winded - sorry.
Don't be sorry.....there's absolutely nothing wrong with long term planning. The trouble many Americans get into these days is rushing into something without thinking of all the ramifications.

Dave Ramsey says "a well informed and patient man always wins". Stay the course!

2002 True Blue F350 Ext Cab 4x4 7.3 PSD SRW LB
Rhino Line; 4" BDS Lift; Bilstein Shocks; Centerline Rims; Racor Ext Fuel/Enviro Bypass Oil/Magnafine Trans Filters; 8 Autometer Cobalt Gauges; AIS; Toyo 315/75R16 ATs; Banks Monster Exhaust, Mag-Hytec Trans & Rear Diff Covers; BTS; ATS: AIH Delete; Spearco CAC; DP Tuning; DI SS Ups

30 Yr USAF Vet
Old 12-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Posting Guru

thanks guys, I said 500 beacuse when i get them i plan on getting the ceramic coating. Also i'm tryin to figure out whether to use the money for a limited slip rear end or on the up-pipes. I live in eastern WA, so its a tad annoying to have only one wheel spinning in the snow...but its not something that i cant deal with if the up-pipes are a better investment
Old 12-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Junior User

croozer is starting off with a positive reputation.
having the up pies leak is a reason for bad mpg's? i can smell exhaust inside me ex sometimes and am getting horrific mpg's
Old 12-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Junior User

croozer is starting off with a positive reputation.
sorry for the bad spelling
Old 12-31-2009, 04:13 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.Riffraff Performance has a spectacular reputation.
/pages/Riffraff-Diesel/103160771064 riffraffdiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by croozer View Post
having the up pies leak is a reason for bad mpg's? i can smell exhaust inside me ex sometimes and am getting horrific mpg's
Yes, leaking up-pipes will cause loss of performance, boost, mpg and will cause you to be able to smell exhaust sometimes.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:13 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1999, 2002, 73, 73l, bellowed, ceramic, di, diy, f250, ford, installing, pipe, pipes, powerstroke, replacement, uppipes