Sponsored by: DP Tuner

up-pipe replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:29 AM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
up-pipe replacement

pretty simple question. I have the stock up-pipes (as far as I can tell) on my truck, and am debating whether or not to replace them with the bellowed up-pipes. I have no visible exhaust leakage, and I was just wondering whether it makes a huge difference replacing the stock up-pipes if they are not leaking yet...

so should i spend my money on a new set of up-pipes or on a limited slip rear diff?

Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I'd be willing to bet good money they're leaking, you just haven't discovered where yet.

Stewart

Old 12-30-2009, 03:22 AM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
well as far back behind the engine as I can see i do not see any soot....are there other signs of leakage that I should be looking for? is it worth the 500 for new ones if i cant see a significant leak?

Old 12-30-2009, 04:56 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if there not leaking dont worry about it right now..if you got $$$ too burn..then go for it..you dont get any extra power from putting them on..i been seeing quite a few DI bellow for sale in the classifieds over on PSN..i got a set of new IH pipes over there for $100 a couple years ago..

Old 12-30-2009, 07:33 AM
nunya001
Senior User
I have a running list of long term maintenance/fix goals for my truck - the up pipes were on it and I had the same questions you did. Btw, mine were leaking, but not terribly. I plan to drive and maintain my truck for a reasonably long period of time - I asked Clay at Riff Raff if he thought it was worth the money b/c $400+ is a little steep. His response was balanced and intelligent. You can repair the stock donuts, but at some undetermined time they will fail again. If may be 50k or 5k miles and then you'll need to pull the turbo, etc. . . .the cost of the part makes up for the cost of the repair multiple times and there is some piece of mind in knowing that your truck is well set up. In most circles people would think I'm strange for having a running list of maintenance/ fix/ improve goals but here it seems more the rule than the exception. With it comes no guarantee, but confidence in the service my truck will provide. Hell - that was long winded - sorry.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't see any soot on my up pipes untill I got my DP TUNER. I couldn't make smoke before the chip. I think my pipes were leaking before, but I couldn't see it.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Turbochargers rely on exhaust drive pressure to build boost.
If there are any leaks, the boost will build slower and not as high.
The more boost is needed the faster that leak will bleed off pressure.
It's never an issue at light load, idle, etc.
The real problems begin when the engine is really needing to make some power, such as pulling a trailer up a mountain pass.
That is where the big difference will be.
I have bellowed pipes.
On the PHP 80hp tune, I stomp on the throttle, exhaust belches a large puff of black smoke, then the turbo spools up NOW and the smoke clears as the truck takes off like a scalded dog.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:52 AM
togobefastguy
Senior User

i cant see soot on my pipes but i know they are leaking, i reached way in behind the turbo and felt the pipes and my hand was covered with soot. 2 reasons that i knew they were leaking, 1. when i would let to truck warm up i could smell exhaust in the cab, 2. i have noticed the my boost pressure was slowly going down, not having the max number i used to.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000ca250
well as far back behind the engine as I can see i do not see any soot....are there other signs of leakage that I should be looking for? is it worth the $500 for new ones if i cant see a significant leak?
If you end up deciding to do it you shouldn't have to pay this much...

Old 12-30-2009, 11:57 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
These Up-pipes are on my first to do list when I get back to work, I just got a very very small area after the BB on the pipe where Pete duckfan pointed out to me at RRE09 so they will be going in at some point in the near future. No noticeable power loss or smell but I'm doing them because they will need to be changed out sometime, might as well do it now before the price goes up again, and they will..Clay's who I'll be calling.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:59 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Originally Posted by nunya001
I have a running list of long term maintenance/fix goals for my truck - the up pipes were on it and I had the same questions you did. Btw, mine were leaking, but not terribly. I plan to drive and maintain my truck for a reasonably long period of time - I asked Clay at Riff Raff if he thought it was worth the money b/c $400+ is a little steep. His response was balanced and intelligent. You can repair the stock donuts, but at some undetermined time they will fail again. If may be 50k or 5k miles and then you'll need to pull the turbo, etc. . . .the cost of the part makes up for the cost of the repair multiple times and there is some piece of mind in knowing that your truck is well set up. In most circles people would think I'm strange for having a running list of maintenance/ fix/ improve goals but here it seems more the rule than the exception. With it comes no guarantee, but confidence in the service my truck will provide. Hell - that was long winded - sorry.
Don't be sorry.....there's absolutely nothing wrong with long term planning. The trouble many Americans get into these days is rushing into something without thinking of all the ramifications.

Dave Ramsey says "a well informed and patient man always wins". Stay the course!

Old 12-30-2009, 06:35 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
thanks guys, I said 500 beacuse when i get them i plan on getting the ceramic coating. Also i'm tryin to figure out whether to use the money for a limited slip rear end or on the up-pipes. I live in eastern WA, so its a tad annoying to have only one wheel spinning in the snow...but its not something that i cant deal with if the up-pipes are a better investment

Old 12-31-2009, 04:10 PM
croozer
Junior User
having the up pies leak is a reason for bad mpg's? i can smell exhaust inside me ex sometimes and am getting horrific mpg's

Old 12-31-2009, 04:12 PM
croozer
Junior User
sorry for the bad spelling

Old 12-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by croozer
having the up pies leak is a reason for bad mpg's? i can smell exhaust inside me ex sometimes and am getting horrific mpg's
Yes, leaking up-pipes will cause loss of performance, boost, mpg and will cause you to be able to smell exhaust sometimes.

Quick Reply: up-pipe replacement