1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

what the difference between the 7.3's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
hmm, friend had issues with his DMF in his 02 24v.
replaced the dmf with smf and had no problems after that.

i'll have to ask ron if he has a dmf or smf if he knows.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:23 PM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travis, I want the book. Tech manuals like that are my favorite reading material. Real world stuff.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:55 PM
blue66tang95f150
More Turbo
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
William, no 2nd gen dodge i have torn into had a DMF in it and my brother has 3 24v dodges, a '99, a '01, and an '02.

Sam, thanks for the comments there. i actually did no research on that. i have the book that all the ford diesel mechanics got when the SD's came out on the PSD. it lists in there all the differences, how to work on them, special tools, wiring schematics, torque specs list, etc. its the book that they use for when they gotta take their tests on the new trucks. i have read that book about 50 times now b/c it somehow doesn't get old to me. i can post pics if anyone wants. its got a pic for most of the stuff i mentioned up there. LoL. So yeah, the ford mechanics should be much smarter than they are, but i guess since they work for money instead of fun and don't care about the customers trucks like we care for our own they don't turn out to be all that great b/c they are trying to do things as fast as possible. this book is pretty dang good. gonna go read it again now....
Where did you get this book, and how can I get my hands on one? Very impressive.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:42 AM
bpayne88
Freshman User
ok so what can you take off say an 04 F 350 and bolt up to an obs to add power? because i have almost a complete truck at work that has been taken apart and is just sitting there in pieces.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 AM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Thank you travis for all the info. I also want one of those books so where can I my hands on one? I have a buddy that works for ford?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:51 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dougbrown
Thank you travis for all the info. I also want one of those books so where can I my hands on one? I have a buddy that works for ford?

doug, ask your buddy at ford if he can get his hands on one. LoL. My buddy that works at ford had it sitting there and about to throw it away, but decided to give it to me instead. i will ask him if there are anymore of them running around the shop there or maybe i will go poke around there and look for one. LoL. if y'all have any buddys that work at ford they might still have them b/c they got the books in '98 when the SDs were about to come out.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:53 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bpayne88
ok so what can you take off say an 04 F 350 and bolt up to an obs to add power? because i have almost a complete truck at work that has been taken apart and is just sitting there in pieces.
you would have to have parts from a '99-03 7.3L, but the '04 6.0L does have some stuff we can use such as the intercooler. other than that there is nothing except for the seats. you can make the seats work in an OBS.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:03 PM
bpayne88
Freshman User
ok that what i ment. on the PS 7.3 what could i use? and do you know a good place to get the up pipes for the intercooler? i really like the banks kit... until i get to the price.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:04 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Travis could you give my a break down of some of the abrivations you use?
I know some but others i'm like
sd= super duty

Also what is the title of this book? I'm going to call him in a few.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:16 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bpayne88
ok that what i ment. on the PS 7.3 what could i use? and do you know a good place to get the up pipes for the intercooler? i really like the banks kit... until i get to the price.
you can modify the SD stock pipes to work and do some modding to fit up the SD intercooler in the OBS. you can use lots of parts off of an SD 7.3 unless you have a 94.5 or 95 model. you can use the cam(if you have electric fuel), heads, pushrods, HPOP, oil cooler, injectors(if you mod them to single shots), etc. lots of stuff there.
Originally Posted by dougbrown
Travis could you give my a break down of some of the abrivations you use?
I know some but others i'm like
sd= super duty
HPOP-high pressure oil pump
LPOP-low pressure oil pump
OBS-old body style
ICP-injection control pressure sensor
IPR-injection pressure regulator
HPOP rez- high pressure oil pump reservoir
PSD-powerstroke diesel
WTS-wait to start light
CPS-cam position sensor
CEL-check engine light
EGT-exhaust gas temp.
DP-downpipe

any other ones i have used that you wanna know? i know there are a lot more than i listed, but just a start there. haha

Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Iallwork
Elder User
Boy, ya ask a simple question.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:56 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
doug, ask your buddy at ford if he can get his hands on one. LoL. My buddy that works at ford had it sitting there and about to throw it away, but decided to give it to me instead. i will ask him if there are anymore of them running around the shop there or maybe i will go poke around there and look for one. LoL. if y'all have any buddys that work at ford they might still have them b/c they got the books in '98 when the SDs were about to come out.

I do have a buddy that works in the parts department at a Ford Dealer in Sacramento I will ask him for the book. What is the name of the book?

Old 12-31-2009, 01:14 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 95_Dually
I do have a buddy that works in the parts department at a Ford Dealer in Sacramento I will ask him for the book. What is the name of the book?
heck i don't know it just says DIT 7.3 powerstroke on the front. i will look through again tomorrow to see if i can find a specific title for it. i left it at work cuz i read it while i'm not busy at work since FTE isn't exactly hoppin' at that time of day. haha

Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Thanks Travis. I appreciate it.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:57 AM
SlickFreak
Senior User
Since we're on this topic.

I have a complete 97 7.3/e4OD with all wiring computers ect that is a good running rig

I also have a 99 7.3 and everything that goes with it, it runs but it's tired and smokes.

I'm putting the 7.3 into a 66 f250. I got the 99 mainly so I could get the front accessories off it to swap to Hydro-boost brake booster for more real estate.

What else besides the Electric fuel pump setup and CAC should I use?

Quick Reply: what the difference between the 7.3's?