1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OT: People here can't drive worth a darn.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:13 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
OT: People here can't drive worth a darn.

We drove across the state to pick up an old truck. I was driving the PSD on glare ice until sunrise. People were flying off the road, rolling their vehicle, slamming into guard rails, just insane numbers of accidents. I was in 2WD w/ damn near bald tires and my *** end slipped out to the side twice. The first time was nothing, the second time it flung out a good 45 degrees because of the ruts in the highway and wind. I countered it immediately and controlled everything, then slowed down. On the way back, I drove the old Ford and my wife drove the PSD. There was a head on collision 1 car length behind my wife. Jaws of life were in action when we passed by it on our way back onto the highway. Fatalities for sure.

People here absolutely suck at driving. I've never seen such ignorant folks drive in such adverse conditions and completely disregard one's safety and the safety of others. IMO, there's no difference if someone were to drive around and just shoot people as they drove by yesterday.

311 miles there and 311 miles back. We saw at least 40 wrecks. Darwinism in full effect.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:20 AM
itsjustdan26
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you head up north? Hiway 12 is a pisser...I used to race on it when I was younger. 2 lane hiway with loggin trucks and various other semi's and vehicals paralling the Clearwater River..... Fun times but yet stupid times of youth.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:28 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
I-84 East to I-86 East to I-15 North to US-20 East to ID-33 East to Rexburg. Once the sun came out, people thought they were superman. They sure flew off the highway like superman.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:31 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
where did you go? Idaho Falls? Anyway idiot drivers are not limited to your area. I see em everywhere. the challenge you have are all the idiots that moved to Idaho in the summer and don't know how to drive on winter roads. "I have a 4X4, I can drive anywhere" mentality. dumba$$ it won't stop any better, maybe worse.
too many people think driving is a right, not a privilege that comes with the responsibility to know how to control the 8000 lb bullet that they are piloting head on towards some innocent bystander.
there should be manditory driving tests to keep your license. I'd take one if it would keep the idiots off the road.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:37 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
I went to Rexburg, past Idaho Falls. I've never been out that way before.

I agree with the mandatory driving test. I'd take one in a heartbeat. I didn't have to put our truck in 4WD once. I just took it easy on the way there and the way back.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:40 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by itsjustdan26
Did you head up north? Hiway 12 is a pisser...I used to race on it when I was younger. 2 lane hiway with loggin trucks and various other semi's and vehicals paralling the Clearwater River..... Fun times but yet stupid times of youth.
Makes you wonder how some of us lived so long
If I had known I was gonna live this long I would have been more careful when I was young

Old 12-13-2009, 10:42 AM
shark1979
Elder User
It the same way around here when we get snow or ice. We dont get it very much but when we do you should LOOK OUT!! Some poeple around here think just because it is 4X4 that it is safe to drive fast in snow or ice. IMO 4X4 does not really help that much on ice in the first place. It is fun to watch people like that slide off the road as long as no body get hurts. Then it is not fun.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad you made it safely, around here its really not that bad, people for the most part drive civil but when I lived outside of Philly in the burbs, holy cow, dragstrips, cutting people off, dangerous. My car insurance dropped by half when I moved out here..

Old 12-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Good reason to drive a big Powerstroke.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:01 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Good reason to drive a big Powerstroke.
I saw lots of PSD's and Chevys fly off the road yesterday. A Jeep did too. He went bombing off a STEEP bank on the side of the highway, didn't roll, made it too the bottom and drove onto the exit ramp. We saw him in the Autozone parking lot in Rexburg after I test drove the old truck we went to buy.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:13 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Don't worry, you're not the only one worrying about bad drivers. I get the priveledge of driving with them with the semi truck. Made a run a couple days ago, two little cars in front of me putzing along 40mph, braking as they go down the hill on packed snow. Not smart whey there's 80,000lbs behind them. Had a long stretch to get around them, as I got around the second car, the car up front started speeding up. I was doing 65 to get around him. Not real thrilled about it but finally got around them. Kinda dumb on their part, if I were to loose it, they would be the first thing that I'd run over before going in the ditch. Had another guy running with me, he said the car did the same thing to him.

There are cars and trucks all over the ditches around here. Kinda sad how dumb people are when it comes to bad weather.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:36 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
All I can say is "Idiots don't know any certain geographical location, They are everywhere."

Old 12-13-2009, 01:02 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by farmb0y
Don't worry, you're not the only one worrying about bad drivers. I get the priveledge of driving with them with the semi truck. Made a run a couple days ago, two little cars in front of me putzing along 40mph, braking as they go down the hill on packed snow. Not smart whey there's 80,000lbs behind them. Had a long stretch to get around them, as I got around the second car, the car up front started speeding up. I was doing 65 to get around him. Not real thrilled about it but finally got around them. Kinda dumb on their part, if I were to loose it, they would be the first thing that I'd run over before going in the ditch. Had another guy running with me, he said the car did the same thing to him.
I have had this happen many times with four wheelers and some truckers.I would follow them for miles on a two lane at about 40 mph then when I got a chance to pass they would speed up bout the time I got beside them

Old 12-13-2009, 01:35 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by farmb0y

There are cars and trucks all over the ditches around here. Kinda sad how dumb people are when it comes to bad weather.
On the way there, we saw a double trailer FedEx truck almost lose it. He recovered nicely and slowed down. One truck got a bit aggressive and cut my wife off when she was following me. She had to swerve and hit her brakes to get out of the way. That guy was right on my tail. I had some little cars doing that to me on the way back. They were going 45mph on the highway and I was going 55mph. They kept on speeding up when I tried to pass. So I took them on an incline.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Sounds awful Jason. Luckily you both made it home safe.

Originally Posted by mueckster
All I can say is "Idiots don't know any certain geographical location, They are everywhere."
Truer words have never been spoken.

I'm in the same area as Adam and its been interesting. Luckily I get to stay in town and didn't have to head out onto the highway, but stupidity exists on all roads. Couple days ago on the way home from work (we got a foot of snow last week) I had stopped for an ambulance. Some lady behind me in a big Yukon got all bent out of shape (wasn't paying attention) and flew around me to take a right hand turn and lost control, ended up sideways right in front of the ambulance. Luckily he saw her and slowed down, and she got out of the way, but

Some people shouldn't breed.

Quick Reply: OT: People here can't drive worth a darn.