1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Molbil 1 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 05:38 PM
tx_rooney
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have two 1998 Fords in the driveway that were bought new; a Ranger and E-150 custom van. Always used Mobil1 and Fram filters, sometimes standard filter, sometimes their extra guard or tough guard. 367,000 miles total on both vehicles and zero engine problems. Change the oil twice a year, spring and just before winter. Just bought a 1998 Expedition with 160,000 miles and the first thing I did was change to Mobil1 and a Fram TG filter.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tx_rooney
I have two 1998 Fords in the driveway that were bought new; a Ranger and E-150 custom van. Always used Mobil1 and Fram filters, sometimes standard filter, sometimes their extra guard or tough guard. 367,000 miles total on both vehicles and zero engine problems. Change the oil twice a year, spring and just before winter. Just bought a 1998 Expedition with 160,000 miles and the first thing I did was change to Mobil1 and a Fram TG filter.

OOOOOOHHHH a wiener measuring contest I have a '98 Ford Ranger, a '99 F150 and a '99 Expedition in the driveway and their combined milage is over 560,000 without ever using Mobil 1. Congratulations, you have wasted thousands of dollars on motor oil and have nothing substantial to show for it.

In addition you have proven the power of marketing in that you have bought some of the worst rated products in their respective catagories and are seemingly proud of it. Excellent post.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:12 PM
tx_rooney
New User
That reply is nothing but a flame - goodbye to this site. I've seen this behavior time after time and I'm not going to waste any more of my time here.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
What was the point of your post if not flame bait?

Opinions need to stop where the facts start.

Independant testing has shown Mobil 1 to be the poorest performing (claimed) full synthetic on the market. It is routinely out performed by admitted dino oils. Some of the comparison specs were already posted.

Fram filters have been repeatedly shown to be a sub par product in independant testing.

I apologize if you were offended but I honestly do not know how else to respond to a person bragging about how successful they have been with poor products.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alloro
I'm not disputing your remarks just yet because I haven't had the time to look into this much yet. However, I couldn't help but notice the article in the link you posted reads like an Amsoil promotional ad. Any idea who owns and runs that website?
Big Greenie is right about Mobil 1 oil. They changed the formula after losing the lawsuit against Castrol's "full synthetic" claims. They contended that Castol was misleading the public by claiming that their oil was a "full synthetic",when it was not. When they lost,they did what Castol was doing......changed the formulation to a "hybrid synthetic" and left the "full synthetic" name on the packaging since the lawsuit that they lost had set a legal definition of what a "full synthetic" meant.
JL

Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
In all fairness, there are some Mobil 1 formulations that are reportedly still full synthetic. Problem is, it is pretty difficult to discern which ones. I think they had a special formula for the BMW M3's at about $12/qt.

I think the consensus among oil guru's though is that the bulk of the M 1 products are no longer full synthetics in the true sense of the definition, but they do qualify by definition of the law

Old 12-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Big Greenie
In all fairness, there are some Mobil 1 formulations that are reportedly still full synthetic. Problem is, it is pretty difficult to discern which ones. I think they had a special formula for the BMW M3's at about $12/qt.

I think the consensus among oil guru's though is that the bulk of the M 1 products are no longer full synthetics in the true sense of the definition, but they do qualify by definition of the law
True-there are a few oddball formulations that are still full synthetics.
I stopped buying Mobil 1 when they changed the formulation and did the "me too" game of screwing the consumer like Castrol has for years.
JL

Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 AM
dirtmonkey11
Senior User
I personally use Castrol Syntec, but I think as long as you use any name brand oil your going to be fine. Some oils are better than others but for the most part they are all the same thing. I use all synthetics but that's my choice, some people I know never use synthetics and their vehicles last just as long. For your vehicle, I think synthetic blend would be the best choice. Brand doesn't matter, although high mileage oil wouldn't hurt.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Omahastro1
Senior User
I agree use what you want, what ever makes you feel good. The important thing is change the oil and filter and do it regularly. I prefer a name brand oil but how much of that is bottled by someone else. I have seen this a million times when it comes to oil and filter questions, if it makes sense to you who cares what you use if it works and it sure seems to. Use synthetic, use dino who cares, it sure isn't worth some of the comments I have read on here. This was a good site no pointing of fingers or implying that some people know more than others we are all here to just get by and do the best we can.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Originally Posted by Omahastro1
I agree use what you want, what ever makes you feel good. The important thing is change the oil and filter and do it regularly. I prefer a name brand oil but how much of that is bottled by someone else. I have seen this a million times when it comes to oil and filter questions, if it makes sense to you who cares what you use if it works and it sure seems to. Use synthetic, use dino who cares, it sure isn't worth some of the comments I have read on here. This was a good site no pointing of fingers or implying that some people know more than others we are all here to just get by and do the best we can.

So you would FEEL better is nobody ever challenged any of the information posted?

That way incorrect information could float around in the archives for new people to read?

Or might it make more sense to refute, with facts, things that are incorrect in order that people with questions could make decisions based on facts rather than just opinions?

The reality is, some people DO know more than others. Isn't that why you come to a board like this, to learn something you don't know?

Why does everybody have to get so sensitive and take everything so personally? We ALL have made mistakes. NONE of us know it all.

I completely disagree with the notion that sharing knowledge should be PC.

I know that when I am wrong, I am wrong, and thanks for setting me straight. There are way to many people on way to many sites that do think they know it all yet have no facts or experience to back it up. With your suggestion, we just let that go. I am not sure what the point of a site like this would be then. Just to blow smoke up each others posteriors?

This isn't my site though, and maybe I am way off. If that is the case I will find a place interested in facts and right and wrong, because that still does exist even as foo foo as our society has become.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:24 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
We ALL have made mistakes. NONE of us know it all.
Obviously you've never met my wife!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Originally Posted by alloro
Obviously you've never met my wife!
I had one like that.

From some of my less sensitive posts you can just imagine how well that worked

I will acknowledge that I am on occasion a little too abrasive. Nobody's perfect...except maybe alloro's wife

Old 12-07-2009, 06:29 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
I will acknowledge that I am on occasion a little too abrasive.
Noooooo, say it ain't so. Now what was the nickname you almost picked up...Big Meanie, wasn't it?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Floatsun
Freshman User
Wow!
As the original poster,,, Didn't mean to stir up such a hornet's nest.

However, I did learn a couple things.

1) Didn't know all that law suit stuff about Mobil 1

2) Didn't know MC was sold at Walmart

3) My question was well answered (waste of money).

Outcome-
First stop willbe my local Walmart to see if they carry MC oil & filter.
If I don't find it, I'll go back to my old reliable Wolfs head or Valvoline. (That's still good Dino isn't it?)
And the biggest thing I've learned? Filters! I'll stick with Motor Craft.

Thanks all,
Gary

Old 12-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Floatsun
Valvoline. (That's still good Dino isn't it?)

Thanks all,
Gary
That's what my work truck ('01 F150 Supercab 4.6L/4R70W) has ran since we got it with 68k miles on it. 10w30 Valvoline for the last 160K miles, and it's still nice and clean inside. Nobody would guess that it's got 230K miles on it. It's all about keeping the oil changed at proper intervals.
JL

Quick Reply: Molbil 1 worth it?