2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should they be held accountable?
Yes
88.16%
No
13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Should Ford be held accountable for the sparkplug design?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:51 AM
rcaddell
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a MINOR issue. MINOR. Well known, well documented, and taken care of by Ford already. If it concerns you, don't wait 100K to change plugs. Maybe check them once a year. Taking them out once a year will alleviate the problem, alongside following the procedure Ford has listed.

You want to see a MAJOR problem? Research V8 SHO Cam Failures. This si not a "oh, the spark plug broke and needs to be extracted" This is a "Holy Chit, the cam sprocket slipped and gernaded my interference engine" And Ford denies the issue exists ......

Old 12-07-2009, 06:29 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
sparkplugs are also a wear item.....and just because people think spark plugs should cost 2 bucks each and take 4 minutes each to change doesn't mean its so...

Ford did step up and fix the problem......but what exactly do you want them to do...recall the trucks and replace the engines??? Pay to have your maintenance done??? Just because YOU don't own the tool to do this repair properly doesn't mean ford should pay more because of it....also....alot of people that are aware of the problem early enough to fix the problem without broken plugs opted not to do a damn thing and instead leave it till 130K miles when the problem is for sure going to happen.....
Originally Posted by rcaddell
This is a MINOR issue. MINOR. Well known, well documented, and taken care of by Ford already. If it concerns you, don't wait 100K to change plugs. Maybe check them once a year. Taking them out once a year will alleviate the problem, alongside following the procedure Ford has listed.

You want to see a MAJOR problem? Research V8 SHO Cam Failures. This si not a "oh, the spark plug broke and needs to be extracted" This is a "Holy Chit, the cam sprocket slipped and gernaded my interference engine" And Ford denies the issue exists ......
The whole point to having the 100K mile plug change interval is to reduce maintenance and operating costs. I shouldn't have to wrench on a truck that is not symptomatic just to avoid a problem that shouldn't be there. I change my plugs at 100k miles or earlier if it is needed.

If a tech breaks a plug off in one of my heads, I expect the shop to do what is right and make the repair at his/her expense and then fight with Ford for reimbursement or whatever.

If a tech damages my paint while working on my truck, is that my problem? This actually happened to me BTW. What's the difference, damage is damage.

A lot of good loyal Ford customers have been screwed pretty good over this. I don't care that GM and Dodge have thier issues and scrrew thier customers as well. We're talking Ford here.

Tim

Old 12-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be nice if Ford did the right and ethical thing and recalled the problem trucks and replaced the sparkplugs with Champions so that we could get them out without breaking them. I do know that Ford has made a lot of money for Lisle and the other tool manufacturers that make removal tool for these engines. It's a shame you have to buy one before a plug change, though. The plugs cost enough the way it is.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:41 PM
rcaddell
Junior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
The whole point to having the 100K mile plug change interval is to reduce maintenance and operating costs. I shouldn't have to wrench on a truck that is not symptomatic just to avoid a problem that shouldn't be there. I change my plugs at 100k miles or earlier if it is needed.

If a tech breaks a plug off in one of my heads, I expect the shop to do what is right and make the repair at his/her expense and then fight with Ford for reimbursement or whatever.

If a tech damages my paint while working on my truck, is that my problem? This actually happened to me BTW. What's the difference, damage is damage.

A lot of good loyal Ford customers have been screwed pretty good over this. I don't care that GM and Dodge have thier issues and scrrew thier customers as well. We're talking Ford here.

Tim
Who said anything about GM and Dodge? If you mean my reference to the V8SHO ... being a "ford guy" surely you know what the SHO is...

Sorry, but the problem was fixed. There is a tool to remove if you run into a problem. How long does Ford have to warranty something? Should they warranty all AX4S transmission since they are a known weak engine prone to failure? How about the 3.8 essex engine prone to head gasket failure?

HD says I only need to change my oil every 5K miles in my bike. My air cooled bike. I change it much sooner than that.

Ford acknowledged the problem and worked to resolve it.

You only hear about the plug issues on a forum because everyone shares their gripes. Overall F150 ownership is FAR more than what is on FTE and F150Online. There COULD be just as many people with no problems.

If you guys feel Ford is responsible simply put together a class action lawsuit. I wish you luck in it. There is one outstanding that I know of already on a vehicle and engine they stopped making 10 years ago ... and there has been ZERO headway on it.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:43 PM
spatts
Senior User
THIS GUY MUST WORK FOR OR BE IN BED WITH FORD IN SOME WAY !!!!!!!

If Ford says plug change is 100,000 miles and it takes est. 1.5 hrs plus the cost of the plugs to do the job then thats what we should pay and not a dime more for a bad design problem by over educated Retards , Who probably never tuned up a engine in there entire life.
END OF STORY !!!!!!!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Ford did have a hidden extended warranty on the 3.8L Essex headgaskets for 100,000 mile/ no time limit. A couple of friends of mine had that engine in the Fords and when they took them in for other work they asked about it specifically. For those who never inquired, they got nothing from Ford. I totally agree with SPATTS' comment on the subject. Part of any engineering degree should be a requirement that before any credentials are issued the engineering candidates should be required to work on what their designing for at least 2 years in a dealership so that they are familiar with the real world problems that techs live with. They also should have to buy their own tools just like techs do. Maybe then we'd have vehicles engineered and designed for the techs and consumers and there would be fewer design flaws.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:22 PM
spatts
Senior User
Here We Go ........

1) Send out a letter to all F-150 owners with the plug issue . Simply explain that due to a design flaw in the Plugs the service interval should be every 50,000 miles .
2) The cost of the plug change will be a (Fair) set price regardless if a plug breaks or not. The work must be done by a Authorized Ford Dealership Only . If you choose to go outside Ford and the plug breaks , then to bad for you.........
3) Everyone is Happy Now !!!! We get new Plugs with no headaches (Fair Price)and Ford gets a huge amount of business . Bean Counters Do The Math !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Fat Ford Boy
More Turbo
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

Customer satisfaction is instilled, and FORD keeps future customers/sales !!!!!!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:09 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by rcaddell
Who said anything about GM and Dodge? If you mean my reference to the V8SHO ... being a "ford guy" surely you know what the SHO is...

Sorry, but the problem was fixed. There is a tool to remove if you run into a problem. How long does Ford have to warranty something? Should they warranty all AX4S transmission since they are a known weak engine prone to failure? How about the 3.8 essex engine prone to head gasket failure?

HD says I only need to change my oil every 5K miles in my bike. My air cooled bike. I change it much sooner than that.

Ford acknowledged the problem and worked to resolve it.

You only hear about the plug issues on a forum because everyone shares their gripes. Overall F150 ownership is FAR more than what is on FTE and F150Online. There COULD be just as many people with no problems.

If you guys feel Ford is responsible simply put together a class action lawsuit. I wish you luck in it. There is one outstanding that I know of already on a vehicle and engine they stopped making 10 years ago ... and there has been ZERO headway on it.
I'm not referencing anything you said about the V8SHO. Simply heading off an arguement about how GM and Dodge have thier little problems just like Ford and thier customers probably get screwed the same way.

I don't own a 5.4L engine and I have no intentions of ever getting one. It's just not right. If a tech creates more work / damage in the process of changing a spark plug, then the Ford dealer or FMC should cover the difference.

I don't beleive there needs to be a recall, class action lawsuit or any other silliness. Ford or dealer simply needs to step up and cover what they break.

Tim

Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spatts
THIS GUY MUST WORK FOR OR BE IN BED WITH FORD IN SOME WAY !!!!!!!

If Ford says plug change is 100,000 miles and it takes est. 1.5 hrs plus the cost of the plugs to do the job then thats what we should pay and not a dime more for a bad design problem by over educated Retards , Who probably never tuned up a engine in there entire life.
END OF STORY !!!!!!!
1....i'm not in bed with ford in any way......and i think its rediculous to expect ford to take ALL responsibility for something that effects a very small number of people, and that they've engineered ways to fix in a easy and timely fashion...

2.....engineers spend far more time wrenching on things than you ever will....trust me....engineers are engineers because they enjoy building and fixing things....its what the vast majority of them do with their spare time...

Old 12-08-2009, 06:56 AM
spatts
Senior User
You need to Stop , Take a Deep Breath and Listen........

Ford should not recall for the plug issue ! I agree.......

However if I go into a dealership for a plug change at the correct interval for a cost of X , and a plug or plugs break due to a poor design, and the dealer now tells us we have to pay Y thats Just CRAZY ! Ford must eat the balance of time it takes to remove broken plugs .......Simple

If you claim its not such a huge issue then it wont be so costly to Ford now will it ? I am still paying High price (Quality Job) to have a Dealer change my plugs.

I.E.-I go to the dealer to change out my power window switch and the tech breaks the housing trying to get it off because the plastic is cheap crap . You dont think I have to pay for that part or labor do you ? I could go on & on !

Old 12-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
I doubt that any engineer now working has wrenched anywhere near as much as I have over the years and they definately don't work in real world conditions where rust, corrosion, customer neglect, and etc. are experienced. I doubt any of them will drive their vehicles long enough to have to relace a heater core, timing chain, wheel bearings and the like. Believe when I say that if they had to work on a 150,000 mile 10-15 year old vehicle daily there would be a lot of design changes for the better, especially if it's Wisconsin, Michigan, or Indiana vehicles. If the 351 in my old 95 F150 had the tight tolerances and decent heads that the 5.4 engine has, it would be a far superior set up. The automakers are at a crossroad. The purchase price and cost of ownership has by far outpaced what the average American can afford. Everything that's being done with vehicles today can be made simpler and effective if the right applications are used. Ford needs to revisit Henry Ford's vision of keeping it simple and reliable as well as affordable for the masses.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:49 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Wow. I knew this thread would get interesting. I have two items to respond to:

1. To the Junior Member who says this is a minor issue and used the words "Class Action" (big no no here by the way). That statement really depends on your mechanical abilities and knowledge base doesn't it? This isn't a minor issue to a person who doesn't know any better and isn't mechanically inclined. Such as a single mother with several kids to feed and only one car to get them to school and her to work. This individual, driving her Screw or Expy just found out a simple misfire resulted in an unexpected $500 plug change with a stern warning from a service advisor that it MIGHT be more. She gets a call a day later saying things went bad and they need to take apart the engine (head removal). Kiddos miss Christmas this year and find out what a soup kitchen is. Now explain to her and the kids your contention that this issue was "minor".

The complaints reported here represent a small fraction of a percent of those who have actually had to deal with this issue.

2. Good engineers play golf on the weekends and get others to fix their stuff.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys have a pretty odd view of who engineers are.....you should go hang out with some for the weekend.....they have some of the coolest gargages you'll ever find....

Old 12-09-2009, 03:49 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
So who's gouging who in a spark plug change gone bad? Is it Ford? No folks it's your local dealer who has decided to take advantage of YOU. Will Ford cover the cost. We really don't know because our friendly service advisor or better yet service manager will always play it up that FORD wont cover it.

Wow, great sob story. Spark plug change goes bad sends owner to a local soup kitchen.

Quick Reply: Should Ford be held accountable for the sparkplug design?