6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Wix vs Motorcraft oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 05:46 AM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Mark,

Thanks for chiming in. Looks like we both are saying pretty much the same thing, excopt you're using your usual finesse and I'm using my "knuckle dragger" approach.

Thanks for helping settle this!

Mike

Old 12-08-2009, 06:59 AM
northerndave
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I live up in the boonies and I don't know where the closest IH dealer is so I might have to source an IH cap online.

I watched the training vid & my truck is going back to the OEM filter ASAP for the same reason's I preffer to run Motorcraft spin on filters on my gasser 5.4's

Thanks all for the sound advice & I too am anxious to hear what caused & what cured the dark or dirty looking oil.

My oil allways looks terrible in my 6.0, terrible! (compared to oil in my old 7.3)

I have always assumed this was just due to the soot inhalation via the EGR system on these engines.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:09 AM
northerndave
Elder User
We have Case IH dealer locally, but they wouldn't have my filter cap would they??

Old 12-08-2009, 07:40 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by northerndave
We have Case IH dealer locally, but they wouldn't have my filter cap would they??
I don't think so; International split their business several years ago. The truck & engine side went one way (Navistar) and the equipment went another. Here is a link to find the nearest International/Navistar dealership.

International Truck and Engine Corporation

I'll go back on the record and say that your local IH dealer isn't the cheapest place to find the filters (dieselfiltersonline is the best price)...but they're most likely the only place locally where you'll find them allot cheaper than Ford. I used to work for a Caterpillar dealership several years ago....and we used to preach OEM from sun up to sundown. But I can't spend the extra $20-$30 at Ford for the same filter I can get at IH. Yes, the blue oval on the box would be nice...but it ain't worth that much to me.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 PM
delta70
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 1954oldred
awesome videos! Great link to look at!!
I have watched all of this guys videos. He has some real informative info on 6.0s. if you go to his website powerstrokehelp.com he has a full list on the left hand side to check out.

I just wish this guy was closer to Texas so I could take my truck there. I haven't been able to find a good diesel guy in the DFW yet.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:59 PM
delta70
Freshman User
Originally Posted by northerndave
Hmm, I'm really glad I found this thread. Just getting ready to change oil on my 05. Last time I tossed in a wix because I've been a wix guy for quite some time.

I do buy the motorcraft superduty 15W40 diesel engine oil. I guess i'll swing up to the ford dealer tomorrow & pick up a motorcraft oil filter & probably due for an air filter too.

Does the motorcraft oil filter come with a new cap?
I bought my truck used and had to buy a cap also. It cost me $35.00 from the dealer.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:59 PM
northerndave
Elder User
Originally Posted by delta70
I bought my truck used and had to buy a cap also. It cost me $35.00 from the dealer.

sweet, that news prompted me to make the call & the dealer has caps in stock, he told me 30 bucks for the cap 29 for the filter.

Picking both up tonight.

(and i'll be keeping that damn cap)

Old 12-08-2009, 04:36 PM
da-bees
Senior User
CombatMed! Time-out. Obvisualy my statements unintentionaly mis lead you or you are attaching far too much emotion to this. In any event I feel compelled to elaborate so that third parties don't get the impression a pi$$ing contest is in the offing. Please,if anything I say appears condisending,contemptious or otherwise offending,it is only atributed to the fact I am not formaly educated nor well spoken, not to a desire to detract from anyones quality. I don't construe "should not reoccure"as the SM guaranteeing nor taking financial responsability if what they did failed to prevent problems in the future. To me a mechanic addressing a just finished repair might say (I did the best I could but you should watch it) (hey,I think you shoud sell it before it breaks down again) and in a case in between "should not" "probly will not"and dozens of other phrases could be applied according to his level of confidence with it. I don't see anything that suggests SM is poorly trained or even a hint of him not beeing an "advocate of his company". In this conversation he certainly never said to use Ford,GM, off brand #1 #2 or anyones product. We must leave it to each to decide while reading this thread and useing only the words presented without any effort to guess what was on someones mind,to decide if anyone got close to smugness in their statments. You and almost every one since my last post have recconized problems happen even in spite of best practice,so I hope that saying the issue is not filter related is not interpitated to mean anything other than it was not related to tires or transmission fluid either. What I get from "not filter related"simply means that eventhough it was masqurading as the filter(to me)it would not matter that the correct filter was in place it would be the same symptom.Your 5th point is selfsufficent. Your 6th point is one that will never be black or white. If there was a way of knowing the truth,I am confident that companies have PR reps doing damage control on any forum that has sugnifigant effect on thier bottom line,there are individuals who present themselves in cyber space as something other than what they realy are just as you suggest in sumation. No Sir,nothing you said is harsh or harmful in my eyes. I am pleased you come here albeit,I'm sure you would rather be 100% healthy and to busy carring out your duty to have time. If I ever find myself in a life or death situation where action must take place without delay and a commity,I hope a medal recipent is present. I thank you and your commrades Sir for doing a job most of us want no part of but is so criticaly nessary.
OK enough,back to bussiness as usual

Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 PM
northerndave
Elder User
so, I'm all done with my oil change and I'm back to the motorcraft filter & housing cap.

peace of mind.

feels good to be confident you are upholding your part as the truck owner.

Thanks guys.

Dave

Old 12-08-2009, 07:00 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
I'm glad you're back to your comfort zone Dave! Good Luck this winter and let us know how everything is holding up!

Us corporate spy's would love to know!

Mike

Old 12-08-2009, 07:12 PM
janton01
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious is the Fram version one of the bad ones or is it also made by the Racor folks. Seems I have seen something like that before but want to make sure.
Thanks.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:15 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,497 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Early on there were Frams that were aftermarket. Even recently, some folks have said they have seen an aftermarket in a Fram box. The general consensus is that they are now the same. Check for the felt on the bottom and the patent numbers. Frams should be just fine.

How to tell a Racor oil filter:

1. One piece top (NO plastic cap adaptor)
2.Top is glued to the filter media
3. Patent numbers (below)
4. Felt gasket on bottom
5. Diameter - exactly 1.5"
6. Length - exactly 6.5" (excluding the 4 snap tabs on top)
7. Filters are stiff and resist any twisting motion
8. 52 or 53 pleats
9. Pleats are 11/16" wide and 6 3/8" tall

U.S. Patent 6.554.139 describes the filter components (the good stuff, made by the Parker-Hannifin Corporation).
U.S. Patent 6.086.763 refers to the front disk assembly (not quite as important - made by Ing. Walter Hengst GmbH & Co.).

Also - I contacted Racor a while back about their filter design. They stated to me it was rated for 20 gpm which matches the LPOP design. It is designed to filter at least 95% of all particles 20 microns and larger.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:16 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Fram CH-9549 is made by Racor if it has the felt seal and patent numbers on it. I have about a dozen of them and they are a perfect fit.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:17 PM
CombatMedicF-250
Senior User
If you use the fram filters you need to check that they share the racor numbers. For now Racor makes Fram too. But remember, a lot of times a company will go to a lower quality to ensure a profit margin. Sticking to what you know is usually always best.

I always check the numbers on the filters. I have changed about 5 of my neighbors trucks with Fram...But they share the Racor number.

So...be careful! Caveat emptor!

Mike

Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 PM
northerndave
Elder User
Originally Posted by CombatMedicF-250
I'm glad you're back to your comfort zone Dave! Good Luck this winter and let us know how everything is holding up!

Us corporate spy's would love to know!

Mike

Ha, now it sits in the garage with 99550 on the odo & I am having a hard time getting myself to drive it lol!!

Think I'll hop on the frozen parked outside 1977 parkbench F150 tomorrow morning for my ride to work

Quick Reply: Wix vs Motorcraft oil filters