Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Plow mounting questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:35 PM
JD_F250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plow mounting questions

Hey guys, its been a while. I finnally started mounting up my plow to my 87 f250. its got a 6.9l with the ttb front end. I got a plow that was not meant to be on the truck and started cutting and welding. its the type of plow that the plow mount stays attached to the truck year round. which is fine...its a work truck. so anyways, i got the plow frame mounted to the frame of the truck but now in stuck. as far as the lower mounting points (the ones that go from the lowest most point on the mount back) i dont know where to go with them. anything would help. especially pics. snow season is almost here and i need to get it on the truck. thanks in advance.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Who is the plow manufacturer?

Power angle or manual
Hydraulic power from an electric motor or power steering pump or dediacted hydraulic pump.
Electro hydraulic or hydraulic or cable control

Old 11-24-2009, 10:14 PM
JD_F250
Senior User
the plow control in the cab says MONARCH. Its power angle left and right and there is a separate hydraulic pump that i mounting under the hood and is electric. the plow works fine. at least it did when i pulled it of the 78 f250 i got it from. but down where the plow mounts up to the plow frame. there should be two supports that run backwards at an upward angle. they should take most of the umph when you slam into some snow. with the TTB i dont know how to fab anything up. anything i try would be whacked by the steering bars

Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
I made my own. For the brace you are talking about, I ran a piece of angle across the rear of the plow mount, and I use short pieces of 2 inch angle iron up on the frame. The one on the driver's side uses one of the bolts for the steering box. Both of these short 2 inch pieces of angle bolt at the frame were it starts to become boxed.

Once I mounted the angle iron on the frame, and on the plow mount, I then connect the two together with some more angle and welded it together on the truck. They both miss the steering linkage.

When you are doing this, make sure when the plow is down, the pivot pin that the plow angles on is plumb. If you make your truck mount too high, then the outer corners of the plow will tend to "dig in" when you angle the plow.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:06 AM
84 f250 6.9
Posting Guru
if you can wait ahwile ill go take pics of my 84 with the permanent plow frame im pretty sure its fabbed up

Old 11-25-2009, 10:13 AM
joe chevy
Elder User
try craigs list

i would search craigs list
if not for exact mounts whats refered to as push plates
at least the items that contain pix to get an idea of what you
need to fab
i know from searching craigs that there's a ton of push plates available
lots of trucks out there without plows but have mounts still installed
maybe something that fits but from different plow mfg. that you could
graft to work with your application
good luck

Old 11-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by joe chevy
i would search craigs list
if not for exact mounts whats refered to as push plates
at least the items that contain pix to get an idea of what you
need to fab
i know from searching craigs that there's a ton of push plates available
lots of trucks out there without plows but have mounts still installed
maybe something that fits but from different plow mfg. that you could
graft to work with your application
good luck
Many of the plow manufacturers don't make a plow mount for a diesel pickup, or it's a diesel only set of brackets. I think the radiator support hangs down too much in the way.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:11 PM
joe chevy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Many of the plow manufacturers don't make a plow mount for a diesel pickup, or it's a diesel only set of brackets. I think the radiator support hangs down too much in the way.
never heard of diesel only brackets
who has a diesel only frame
the only reason they dont suggest putting a plow on diesel is
the added weight

Old 11-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Franklin2
It's not the frame. There is a diesel only radiator support for the heavy duty radiator that most of them come with, and it hangs further down than the gas radiator supports, so the regular plow brackets don't fit. I believe one of them that says their brackets do not fit a diesel is Meyer.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

My Snoway has a diesel specific bracket, for the exact reason Franklin stated.
On the 86 the diesel radiator support sets 6" below where a gasser radiator sets.
So the bracket has to be made to clear the radiator bottom.
Frame has nothing to do with it.

Back to the original question, from the search I did last night, Monarch probably made the motor and controls, but not the plow.
Snoway actually uses some Monarch power units on some their plows.

One thing that is rather inportant, when the plow is down, the A frame from the plow to the mount has to be very close to level.
If it is not that way, full angle left or right will cause one end of the plow to dig in and in extreme cases the other end will not even touch the ground.
A short time plowing that way will destroy a cutting edge.

Also check your cutting edge, you want the cutting edge on the ground with the plow blade well clear of the ground.

Cutting edges are cheap when compared to a new blade.

A few pictures of the blade and mount and we may be able to figure out which one it is.

Another good place to look for info would be www.plowsite.com

Old 11-26-2009, 12:56 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
I second the cutting edge. Once your down into the moldboard you'll be shopping for a new plow. Seen a few get so wore the holes to mount the cutting edge were almost gone.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:16 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,172 Posts
all my old body style diesel trucks had Meyers classic mounts on them. and the Meyers mount does not use kick back braces.
the lower receiver mounts to the frame, and just sticks down. i have been plowing municipal roads with my 88 for 21 years, and it has never moved .

Old 12-02-2009, 08:28 PM
JD_F250
Senior User
Well i found one way to mount it. doesnt look the best and i dont think it would be as strong as it could be but it is an option. 84 f250 if you had some times to take some pics, you would be my savior. its supposed to snow this weekend and im sitting with an unusable plow and a whole bunch of drawings and measurements.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Notice plow bracket.

Removed for repairs.

Bottom view.

In the last picture the top bolts to a steel plate that drops down from the front of the frame horns.
Solid plate side to side about 12" down from the top of the frame rails.
The bottom plow reciever is about 9" front to back.
On both sides at the back (bottom in picture), braces run right straight back up to the frame.

Those braces only cleared the tie rods by about 1/4" as you cycled the steering from left to right at the closest place.
Trying to think, when the IFS axle was under there I think the joint on the pitman arm was what was close to hitting.

I know those don't really help since all of my hydraulics are mounted on the plow A frame, but the bottom of your plow will still have to mount something like that.

Mevers uses an angle brace since all the pressure down there is from pushing.

Mine pushes and lifts from down there as well as has hydraulic down pressure on the blade.

Three pins and one electrical connection take me from the top picture to the bottom picture.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:48 PM
JD_F250
Senior User
well everything helps dave. my setup is quite different. ill get some pics tomorrow after work and see what i can get on here. we expecting like 4-6" tonight and blizzard like conditions later in the week. need to get my butt in gear

Quick Reply: Plow mounting questions