1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Suckered again on Ebay or Third members a crowd!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 05:15 PM
HD74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suckered again on Ebay or Third members a crowd!

Filed my dispute over a posi third member I just received. This is what I wrote;

Since the seller has only one way to contact him I think this is the best approach to resolve this matter.
I guess red flags should have popped up when you only showed two side of the 9 inch third member in your auctions. When I open the box after waiting for almost a month I was surprised to find what you are passing off as a posi was a converted open carrier and looks nothing like the Ford unit that I thought would arrive. When I went on line to look up your auction and the term "Torque-Lok" it turns out to be a non-existent or made up posi unit name and looks very similar to term used by Ford "Trac- Loc". I also found that there are no sources of replacement parts for the unknown posi unit.
A serious question of safety comes-up concerning unknown parts from unknown sources and untested. The bottom line for me is the statements of the sellers auctions are vague and misleading and now I see why. I thought I was buying a rebuilt Ford posi traction unit, that's not what showed up. If I would have known this was some home made stuff I would have shopped else where. I want my money back in full including shipping. Thanks you.

Bottom line research, research, research and sometimes we still get fooled.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:24 PM
HD74
Elder User
I lifted this off another site, of course after the fact!

I wanted to follow up on this thread and let you all know what you are dealing with with most of these eBay 9" posi rear auctions (where they specifically avoid saying "Traction Lock, Trac Loc, Trac Loc" etc... (Ford's later limited slip)). BTW, rebuilt units with new gears based on true Trac Loc carriers generally command prices upwards of $1000.

I looked into this because of this thread leading me to wonder about what I had purchased some time ago for my car under restoration. This is what I found:

All three of the vendors mentioned (the original one (vshforlife, subject of the thread), mine (jmmarketing) and the other one (69dart_440) mentioned in a subsequent post) do not say "Traction Lock" (as pointed out). My vendor says "a limited slip that we designed here at xxx OVER 15 YEARS AGO" and one or more say "Torque Lock" which is a non-existant or made up posi unit name, and the pictures of the carriers from all 3 avoid showing the ring gear bolt side of the carrier. Here's why they don't show that side of the carrier:

I did some homework and found that the Traction Lock units have recessed bolt holes on the carrier and use 5/8" head bolts. The open carriers have a flat ring machined all the way around the carrier where the bolts go through and use 3/4" head bolts. See: http://www.maliburacing.com/ford_9_i..._nine_inch.htm and specifically look at the words "[***************]Shown above is an open 28 spline spool (on left) and a traction loc “Posi” 28 spline 2 pin spool ( to the right)" about two-thirds of the way down the page and below a picture of the two types of carrier under discussion. [/COLOR]

Checked my own unit and found it was based on an open carrier. I was not happy. So, I began prodding the vendor for additional information as to what my unit was made from and how it worked, I had my doubts that a posi unit could be properly implemented in the space available in an open carrier and was worried that it was nothing more than a makeshift posi made by preloading the side and/or spider gears to get posi action or something like that.

Took a bit of patience and waiting but when the vendor found that I was not going to just go away, he replied with the information I was looking for. They specially machine the open carrier to receive a custom made clutch pack which has half the number of plates as a Trac Loc but are twice as wide so they have an equivalent area. They are made of steel and have no friction material (like the Trac Loc does). They use some Trac Loc parts, such as the springs. Okay, so I what I bought wasn't a scam, but it wasn't what I thought it was either. I didn't feel good about taking it apart to see just what this thing consisted of, didn't want to mess it up or void the warranty.

Also watch prices that seem too cheap. The reason 69dart_440's price on the auction mentioned "is right" is because he doesn't say new ring and pinion, so you can assume it is a used set.

Overall, I have never liked the Trac Loc design as it is strictly a spring preload type of posi, it has no torque sensitive function. What that means is that if you go around enough turns with a Trac Loc (or a unit like it, as the units under discussion, at least they have all steel disks), the clutches wear out. In the past I ran a Mopar 8 3/4" rear with a Powr Lok torque sensitive posi unit in my Cat for this very reason, even though I had a worn out Trac Lok later in the game, I elected not to use it for the reason mentioned. Additionally, Trac Loc carriers are known to break in the ring gear bolt area so be wary of used units (see link to page above for information/pictures).

I sold my unit and bought gears, kit and a Detroit TrueTrac carrier, which is a helical gear, torque sensitive limited slip with no clutches to wear out. Cost me about $120 more than what I had originally bought and I have to build the rear myself, but it was more what I had in mind.

In summary, the center sections which are the subject of this thread are probably okay for most street uses. However, they are not Ford Trac Loc carriers (which could be bad or good depending on how you look at it), rather they are based on open rear carriers that have been fitted with clutches of someone in the rear rebuilding industries design.

Do your homework, I did in this case (too bad it was after the fact) and am providing it in service to the Cougar community.

Regards,

Bob
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 11-21-2009, 12:32 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I posted this on your HAMB post too, I don't like that it doesn't have a pic of the other side. Also and i could be wrong about this but it should be a 3:55 not 3:50.

I have a Equa Loc in my 54 which was the predecessor to the Trac Loc. Look this page over it has some good info on it.

Kevinstang's Ford Nine Inch Differential Page +

Old 11-21-2009, 03:25 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If you've already got an open carrier, check out the PowerTrax Lock-Rite locker. There are two versions available - one is a less expensive version that you can hear ratcheting a little when you go around corners. I had this particular model in my Bronco and loved it! I abused that truck and 4-wheeled it often. I parted it out when a tree fell on it and when I pulled the carrier out of the 9", the Lock-Rite components had very little if any wear. I'm a fan. If the thought of a dull click-click-click when you turn corners bothers you, they also sell a silent version that is reportedly just as good, but it's pricier, too. The best part about either design is that they will install in your original carrier without disturbing the R&P setup and their are no clutches to wear out.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:12 PM
HD74
Elder User
Bump! Still looking for comments or if anyone has one of these third members.
TheWiz427, mised your post, they deleted the tread before I could read any responces.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:31 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I posted the same thing here and over there, Check through that site i posted you might come up with something.

Wonder why it got deleted?

Old 11-22-2009, 04:17 PM
HD74
Elder User
Originally Posted by TheWiz427
I posted the same thing here and over there, Check through that site i posted you might come up with something.

Wonder why it got deleted?
I had a link to ebay? I guess it's against the rules.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:35 PM
angliajim
New User
Here I am trying to find out what "POSI" unit I have and I see your post. Yes I bought a 325 from 69440 dart or whatever he calls himself, but I did'nt get any satisfaction from him. Mine looks like a converted open unit. This guy should be banned from ebay in my opinion. Thanks for the info, Angliajim

Old 01-30-2010, 02:04 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi angliajim!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.....

But enough about that. Welcome to FTE!

Why not start a new thread in introduce yourself to everyone!