Sponsored by: Moser

Coil - Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:21 PM
jaspirr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coil - Wiring Help

The coil bracket(black piece with the wires that clips onto the coil) on my truck was cracked in a few places and the wiring was a mess, so I decided to order a new one from NPD. Now that I've received it, it's a bit different from the one in the truck now, so I have to figure out what the wiring will be. I've looked through all my wiring diagrams and manuals and nothing seems to discuss this. Here are a few pictures:

Here's the bracket that's in the car now:

There are 4 wires here. One for some reason is loose(#4) and my guess is that it attaches to the coil where #3 goes in. I have no idea where that connector for wire #1 leads to, I've never seen it attached to anything and I don't see anything in the immediate area that it can attach to. There's a connector behind the carburetor not being used, could connect to that, but I don't know so I'm not connecting it anywhere until I know more.

Here's the new bracket I ordered:

It only has two wires.

Could someone please let me know the correct wiring for this coil bracket piece? My first guess is to splice wires #1 and #2 from the original on to the red wire of the new piece, and splice wires #3 and #4 from the original on to the green wire of the new one. That's just common sense. But I don't want to do that before I know what these wires are for. I'm especially curious what that connector on wire #1 is used for.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2009, 04:50 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you have a tachometer? if so the #4 wire is most likely coming off your tach and connects to the negative side of coil.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:24 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
In your first picture, the wires are labeled as follows:

1. This is a connector for a noise suppression capacitor. It's tied to the positive (BATT) connector of the coil to filter high-frequency noise that would be audible on an AM radio. The capacitor is missing in this case.

2. This is the power for the coil. This is what will connect to the RED wire on your new connector.

3. This is the switched signal from the ignition module. It's tied to the negative (TACH TEST) terminal of the coil. This will go to the GREEN wire on your new connector.

4. I can't tell where this is coming from, so I can't say what it goes to. It's highly unlikely that it has anything to do with the coil however. MH is right in that a tach would go to the negative (TACH TEST) terminal of the coil; however without knowing where that wire is coming from, I can't say. You'll have to trace it back.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:50 PM
jaspirr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fmc400

4. I can't tell where this is coming from, so I can't say what it goes to. It's highly unlikely that it has anything to do with the coil however. MH is right in that a tach would go to the negative (TACH TEST) terminal of the coil; however without knowing where that wire is coming from, I can't say. You'll have to trace it back.
It traces at least back to the main harness where it goes through the firewall behind the gauge cluster. I could try to trace it further but I'm inclined to think it's something the previous owner clumsily added and is not necessary. After all, it was unconnected(on the coil end, don't know about the other end) when I bought the truck and didn't seem to have any effect on the engine running. He had a few gauges haphazardly installed, all of which I've taken out, and this wire might be the other end of one of those gauges. Now that I think about it, there is an aftermarket tach mounted on the steering column(behind the wheel). This might be where he is trying to draw its' power from. I will trace it further.

Thanks fmc400!