1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Newbie with 50 F-1

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:53 PM
js292
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie with 50 F-1

Good afternnon! Well I joined the site a few months ago and have just been reading all the great info here. I have a 50 F-1 that I will be rebuilding in the near future so I've been doing a lot of research to get my game plan in order.

Little info on the truck; I got the truck back in 83 when I was 16, by purchasing it from my grandfather for $1. He bought it in 53 and if I remember right he paid $300 for it, I've manage to hold onto it all these years and always said I was saving it for when I grow up and get over my corvette thing. Well I haven't grow up yet but after doing three corvettes I'm pretty burned out on them at the moment. So it's time to do something different and after doing some research I have a pretty good idea of which dirrection I want to go in with the truck.

Trucks been parked since about 85, do to a busted valve and a 18 year old that had/has a lead foot. So it's a little dirty from sitting but here are a few pic's of how it sits at the moment.

Thanks in advance for all the wisdom.

John

Old 11-11-2009, 01:54 PM
js292
Junior User
Sorry forr the size of the pictures

Old 11-11-2009, 02:40 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE, John. Glad to see another Bonus Built on the site. What are your plans for the truck? Do you want to restore it back to orig. or modify it with an updated drive train? Either way, you have come to the right place for information and support. With the heads and intake in the floor, I would guess that the engine is due for a complete overhaul if you are going to keep it. The rest of the truck looks pretty solid, a lot better than most of us start out with. Jump right in and join the madness. Looking forward to following your project.

Gil

Old 11-11-2009, 03:21 PM
js292
Junior User
Thanks for the welcome, I'm not planning on restoring it to original. I know I will be upgrading the brakes, and doing the T-5 conversion. The one thing I do remember about driving the truck was that with your foot on the flow you were lucky if you could hit 55mph. The transmission isn't in good shape either, sounds like there is a tooth or two missing in first gear as it use to clank like something awfull. Yes! the motor will be seeing a complete rebuild as well.

We shut down our company between Christmas and New Years so that is when I'm planning to start. I will be taking it down to the frame to do a frame up rebuild. And I've learned the hard way in the past to label everything and take pictures of everything during dis-assembly.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi John!

Welcome to FTE. It looks like youare well on your way to becoming a Fat Fendered Bonus Built Addict!

This is the place to find out everything you need.

Visit often the more youdo the more you learn!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:40 PM
pkcatfish
New User
Not a bad looking truck. I see Texas plates on it. Are you in Texas? If you put S-10 trans. in it would you be interested in selling the trans. thats in it? Thanks

Old 11-11-2009, 03:49 PM
js292
Junior User
Originally Posted by pkcatfish
Not a bad looking truck. I see Texas plates on it. Are you in Texas? If you put S-10 trans. in it would you be interested in selling the trans. thats in it? Thanks
Yes, I'm in San Antonio. I haven't thought about selling the trans ans I usally keep all the original parts just in case, but you never know. If I do I'll let you know first.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Julie, I just finished going over your wire harness info. Good stuff!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
When you are ready to wire let me know and I'll send you the original Power Point file - much easier to read and modify for your own wiring!

Old 11-11-2009, 04:28 PM
js292
Junior User
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
When you are ready to wire let me know and I'll send you the original Power Point file - much easier to read and modify for your own wiring!
Thanks, will do!