1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

How Do I Polish A 1966 Grille ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:14 PM
664x4drvr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Do I Polish A 1966 Grille ?

Is it best to start with sand paper to polish a origional grille?

Old 11-01-2009, 04:35 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Steel or aluminum? Right now it's best and probably cheaper to take it to a chrome & polishing shop. Most shops are hurting by the economy and will do a good job cheap. you might need to shop around a little but it's worth it. 1 1/2 years ago it would've cost you $200.00- $300.00 but now you can probably get it done for $100.00 or less. Most shops need the business no matter how small it is.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:57 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 664x4drvr
Is it best to start with sand paper to polish a origional grille?
Original Alum. grills are anodized. You first have to remove that before any polishing can be done. There are several methods available. I suggest that you Google it and find what you think works best for you.

John

Old 11-02-2009, 02:09 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Purchased a small container of anodize remover. Then worked out dents and straightened the grille as best I could, need to use caution the alum. is very soft. I then used medium sandpaper, keep in mind the scratches eventually have to be sanded out don't want to start out too rough. Started with 320 grit and progressed to 1500-2000 grit paper. The higher the grit the greater the gloss. Went with the dull sheen, did not go for the high gloss. I assume if use alum polish the residue will need to be washed off for the clear coat to adhere. Grille is made of low grade alum alloy and requires a clear coat to preserve the finish. I used an aerosol can of clear and the label indicated designed to preserve alum. Eastwood carries a product claims to preserve alum for extended period of time. If there's a clear powder coating I may consider checking into it if not too expensive, may preserve the alum longer. Finally, a do it yourselfer is labor intensive and there may be occasion where question what u got yourself into. May want to inquire into cost of having anodized. Also, told by plater it's not recommended to chrome alum, too soft and within short period of time where flaws from rocks and other road debre would be more pronounce, plater suggested if going to chrome go with the metal grille.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:44 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Good post Dave.

John

Old 11-02-2009, 06:23 AM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey Dave,
How many hours do you think you had on that grill? What condition was it in when you started? Were there any major dents?

664x4drvr, If asking how to polish a grill, I take it not much metal working background. Read Dave's post carefully. There is a lot of work to getting a grill to look polished.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:24 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jowilker
Good post Dave.

John

John, thanks!!!

Robert: salvaged from a construction truck, the grille was in poor shape, not that many dents but rough and pitted, as if it had been in a sand storm or two. It needed minor straightening, fortunately have a metal grille to use as a templet, regret not taking pic's. Conservative estimate would be at least 16 hrs labor, tend to avoided keeping track as not to get too discouraged. Considered using my 2 1/2 hp buffer but after launching couple trim pieces decided otherwise at the risk of damaging the grille. Again, the 'do it myselfer' is about 4-5 yrs old and time to do it again. Obviously, won't require as much time to redo but still not overly excited. Seem to recall taking pic's at beginning of this summer, from distance may not look too bad but don't want to get too close.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:43 PM
salf100
Tuned
Where can I buy anodize remover? Also, can anyone recomend a good chrome shop anywhere in CA. I'm in the Sacramento area and theres only one shop, and they are expensive!! They quoted $700 for my 63 alum. grill thats in pretty nice shape.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:53 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by salf100
Where can I buy anodize remover? Also, can anyone recomend a good chrome shop anywhere in CA. I'm in the Sacramento area and theres only one shop, and they are expensive!! They quoted $700 for my 63 alum. grill thats in pretty nice shape.
Wow, $700 is outrageous. Seen anodize remover on ebay, posting link to another source, I emailed them and asked if their anodize remover would damage the alum, should hear from them by tomorrow a.m.

ANODIZE REMOVER

In restoring passenger vehicle took parts to budget chrome shop and ended up taking items to another plater withing couple years. There's Superior Plating out of San Jose, Ca., has reputation for quality work. They straightened and chromed bumpers for my 64 passenger car and did good job. They are expensive. Faiths Plating out of Santa Clara also has good rep but also expensive. Suggest shop around for local reputable plater, for few more quotes, IMO, the est. you got was way to high, had 64 bumpers straightened and chromed for lot less than that. I would not chrome alum grille unless intend to show, and not for a daily driver. Anyhow, had an urge to chime in.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:57 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by salf100
You can buy anodize remover at your local grocery.

Have you Googled?

John

Old 11-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Flyn66dtmn
Elder User
FWIW- I have a aluminum grill on my 66 F-100 and i polished it using hand cleaner and a kitchen scrubby ( the one with foam on one side and green scrubby on the other.) about 4 hrs. because of all the angles in the grill. still shining two years later. it did not remove the gravel pits in the aluminum but worked well for shining. Dave, nice color on the truck. mine is brown also. kinda parcial to that color. Dutch

Old 11-03-2009, 02:32 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Dutch, yes kinda like the brown, don't see too many. In its previous life it was a bown Pacific Gas & Electric truck purchased at County auction in 70. Drove the truck for some 35 plus years before deciding to try a 'do it myself' paint job.. Got attached to the truck over the years and wanted to keep it as I found it; although, did lighten the color lil bit, wife refers to it as her pumpkin on wheels, I don't see it.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:07 PM
salf100
Tuned
Thanks for the info guys. I will look into the chromers you mentioned. Has anyone use Glisten PC from the POR-15 company. I haven't but I hear its suppose to work great.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:45 PM
RaleighDad66
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Mother's aluminum polish for all of the brightwork on my truck. It is slow going but doesn't require effort.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:03 PM
customcab66
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i used a small amount of stuff called brasso and a little elbow grease and it took the rust off of some cromed steel head light eye brows and the grille shined right up and still looks good and i polished it back in may dont think i have any pics of it on my gallery will try to get some this week

Quick Reply: How Do I Polish A 1966 Grille ?