1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

ranger speedometer question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:07 PM
ohranger98
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ranger speedometer question

The speedo/odometer on my '98 ranger quit working. Sensor is okay and there don't seem to be any wiring shorts. In looking at the wiring diagrams, it looks to me like if the cruise still works (fed by the GRY/BLK wire after Generic Electronic Module) the problem must be the speedo itself. Can anyone confirm or deny? All other instruments function. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:27 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If the cruise is working and the abs light is not flashing then the VSS is probably good and you are correct gray with black stripe wire is the correct wire. I have had this happen before and it was the connection on the IC that wasn't making up good. The speedo and odometer and just electric motors.I would probaly try reseating connection on the Ic before I swapped anything else out. Ford uses 8,000 pulses from the vss to equal a mile.You can read those pulses with a meter that can read hertz

Old 04-09-2010, 01:41 PM
ohranger98
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Played with the connection a few times, still no love. Is there a way to directly test the speedo by feeding it power or some other means off of the vehicle?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:01 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes there are tests but I can't get it copied into this reply. The FSM has a series of tests using a volt meter and an Ohm meter

See if you can locate a manual and run the tests