Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looked at a truck today

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 05:00 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Looked at a truck today

I found a truck on craigslist that interested me enough to go take a look at it. It was a 1989 F-350, regular cab, 4wd with a 460 and a 5 speed. 137k miles. Said it needed a paint job too. 3.55:1 gears.

Apparently it's an old ranch truck. The body was in pretty good shape except for a lot of surface rust on the hood and on and around the driver's side door. Sure enough it had the kingpin Dana 60, but here's a list of stuff wrong with it.

- Very worn interior. From the clutch pedal cover which was completely worn through to the worn-out seat belts to the torn up driver's seat this truck looked more like it had 237k or even 337k miles on it.

- Didn't want to start unless I gave it gas. Yes it was EFI.

- Top end of the transmission felt really loose. It was hard to find 3rd gear, the first couple upshifts I went from 2nd to overdrive.

- Hood had been pushed back and you had to be real careful opening the hood because it kept catching on the cowl.

- Engine was a little wet with oil, but didn't appear to be leaving puddles behind.

- When I got on it in 3rd gear I heard what sounded like pinging coming from the engine.

- It idled pretty rough. No strange noises from the engine though. Definitely needed a tune-up, the plug wires looked original.

- There was a mouse nest in the glove box. I didn't see any chewed up wiring though and the harness looked like it hadn't been messed with.

- Steering column had been replaced. Tilt wheel didn't work. Ignition rod felt like it was binding and when I started it up it kept the starter engaged. Column wiring had also been pulled apart at one time, but that could have been to install the brake controller.

- Needs tires, shocks, and probably brakes. Also needs battery cables.

- The four wheel drive shifted good and the hubs both work, I didn't try engaging the four wheel drive though.

- Radiator is held in place with baling wire.

- Aside from the surface rust, the truck was not rusty at all. Wheel wells, cab corners, doors, etc. were all very solid with no rust. The whole truck needs a paint job before it would look halfway decent though.

So... worth $1700? I'm guessing it needs about two grand worth of parts and a couple weekends of work before I'd pull an RV with it, which is what I want it for. I would go over the whole driveline and replace anything that needed to be replaced. He said that price was not negotiable. I don't mind spending a little bit more on a truck that needs a little less attention.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Volvo92906
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think I would pay 1700.00 for a truck in that shape. It sounds like it needs a helluva lot of work done to it. I think itd be a pretty slim chance they find someone else willing to buy it so that non negotiable thing makes me laugh.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Virto
Posting Guru
Could be a lot of simple engine stuff, but could be a lot of transmission work too. It's a tossup really. The price isn't bad, but there will be a lot of labor involved in getting it where you wanted.

The hood damage and radiator support worry me. Is the core support totally eaten though, or did they wreck it?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
For 1700, I would walk, specially being in Cali here, there are PLENTY of trucks, if you are ok spending an extra 2-3 g's to fix it, wait and keep looking, I am close to Fresno, so I will look here for ya, and the OC is always full of trucks,,,
Joe
Here is a couple
1996 Ford F-350 Diesel 4X4
1989 ford f350

Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
For 1700, I would walk, specially being in Cali here, there are PLENTY of trucks, if you are ok spending an extra 2-3 g's to fix it, wait and keep looking, I am close to Fresno, so I will look here for ya, and the OC is always full of trucks,,,
Joe
Here is a couple
1996 Ford F-350 Diesel 4X4
1989 ford f350
The thing is I am very picky about what I want.

I am looking for an extended cab F-350 4wd with a 460 and a manual. I would take a regular cab but I really am pretty tight on the other stuff. I want to tow a travel trailer in the future and I am going to put at least 35's on it with a lift. I don't want to screw around with lifting a TTB truck when I have the option of a solid axle available to me. I would prefer gas but wouldn't turn down a PSD or turbo diesel for the right price. Because of the towing requirement I need a big motor and I don't like automatics. My Bronco has one and that's enough for me.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:50 PM
isenegger
Senior User
i paid $800 for this truck...its a 97 F250 4x4 351 5spd all power, cold a/c, 224k mi. i would defently pass on that deal that u looked at.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:00 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I realize that things in Cali tend to be a little more expensive than in other areas but patience is a virtue. Give him your phone number and politely walk away.

Tim

Old 10-27-2009, 08:33 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pass on it

theres never just one mouse who knows whats all chewed up, oil is leakin somewhere, rough idle could just need a tune up could be big issues, trans will probably need a rebuild, pushed back hood means he hit something, honestly a set of tires is worth about as much as that truck is in its condition

Old 10-27-2009, 09:32 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So you found all that stuff wrong with it, and that was just an initial inspection? You haven't even dug into it yet. You're a poker player--don't act too interested, offer him something like $1000, emphasize there is a LOT wrong with it and tell him to call you when he's ready to sell it for $1000.

Happy truck hunting.

Jason

Old 10-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Pass on it. You live in CA...plenty of novice joes looking to get rid of their trucks because it wouldn't pass smog.

When I look at trucks, I look at how bad it's rusted before anything else!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:00 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
bailing wire?...ranch truck is an understatement man...i would not even consider it for that price, once you start ripping into it to fix the stuff you will find other stuff...id say keep looking

Old 10-28-2009, 12:49 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like way to much money for a truck that needs that much work.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:13 AM
Red Cobra
Senior User
ya just think of the wear on the clutch alone with just being a farm truck stop and go all the time that truck is NOT worth 1700 and if the cab is a mess do you really want to travel in it? i would only give him what the front axle is worth to me wich to me u can get them for as cheep as 700$ pulled out for you around here i know what your saying when you say your picky and when you want something you will buy it anyway i do it sometimes as well but this truck just does not seem to be worth the scrap metal i paid 2000$ for my f250 diesel and it had a tone of new parts! i would say keep looking things always pop up that are much better!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Engine
Junior User
My two cents - Pass. I would not even offer $1000. The most telling things you described are the worn clutch pad and the original plug wires. I think you are right about the mileage - probably 237, and that's not good if it still has orignal wires. Probably poor maintenance.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Xclimation
Senior User
Based on your description, I wouldn't pay more than $800.00. And at that price it will depend on what you have available in the way of tools, time and parts. Also, how experienced are you on tranny work is a factor. If you have access to all the above, then you could find something better or just as good for $500. If the seller couldn't at least remove the rat's nest, then just think of what else they didn't do.