1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Any early 99 owners running ELC antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Well put and excellent info Stewart! That is worth a sticky right there...

Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hucka1a
Robin had to replace his injector cups earlier this year.
Actually I replaced the cups thinking I had a problem. After having removed them I don't beleive I did. But since the injectors were coming out anyway new cups with new sealant type went in to be on the safe side. A bad oil cooler o-ring was the problem. Later type oil cooler o-rings make me feel a bit better as well. No coolant in oil and no oil in coolant since the oil cooler R&R. Yes, I'm still running the OAT ELC.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:18 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I swapped cups when I rebuilt my block so Icould run ELC, and I use the red stuff from Fleetpride, bottle says it's good for 600k, but i'll probably change it at 500k LOL.
http://fleetpride.com/truck-parts/ca...ges/page22.pdf

Old 10-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Wayne64SS
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Stewart that is excellent info. What coolant would u recommend?

Old 10-30-2010, 07:54 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
If I had a e-99 I would def use the green & add the SCA. Too much PIA IF?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:09 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mongo75
I swapped cups when I rebuilt my block so Icould run ELC, and I use the red stuff from Fleetpride, bottle says it's good for 600k, but i'll probably change it at 500k LOL.
http://fleetpride.com/truck-parts/ca...ges/page22.pdf

Too funny Danny,

Old 10-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Wayne64SS
Stewart that is excellent info. What coolant would u recommend?
Well, previously, I was always of the mindset that I'd use a HD ELC even if I had an E99, but the past few years I've changed my mind. If I had an E99, I'd use conventional "green" coolant. If I had a L99 or later, I'd flush the block using Gooch's instructions found here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/960812-goochs-radiator-engine-backflush-procedure-and-coolant-information.html#post8935201 then I'd refill with Chevron Delo ELC.

That's what I've done to both my Excursion and F250, and I helped Pete do it to his Excursion.

Stewart

Old 10-30-2010, 03:49 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Well, previously, I was always of the mindset that I'd use a HD ELC even if I had an E99, but the past few years I've changed my mind. If I had an E99, I'd use conventional "green" coolant. If I had a L99 or later, I'd flush the block using Gooch's instructions found here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/960812-goochs-radiator-engine-backflush-procedure-and-coolant-information.html#post8935201 then I'd refill with Chevron Delo ELC.

That's what I've done to both my Excursion and F250, and I helped Pete do it to his Excursion.

Stewart
"compatibility issues with the older injector cup material, sensors, front cover, seals, gaskets, o-rings, and other stuff, like certain head gaskets that have silicone sealing rings for the coolant flow holes"

I may be on borrowed time Stewart.

I have addressed the cups and and their sealant, the oil cooler o-rings/gaskets and have a new ECT sensor (the only sensor I can think of that comes in contact with the coolant).

Front cover seal, head gaskets and "other stuff", I'll just have to wait and see. If the head gaskets give me a problem it will be a good time to go to head studs while replacing. Leaking front cover and the engine has to come out . . . ouch. I'll do the Melling LPOP then, if not sooner.

Was it OTTOMATIC that has a high mileage E99 that has been running OAT ELC for most of those miles without problems?

Old 10-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Just "went green" again on my latest flush as you know Stewart. I've flushed mine twice now, once at just over 100k and the latest one at over 250k. Injector cups were the deciding factor. Plus it's not a big deal for me to test and add the FW16 as req'd.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:10 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's really nothing wrong with the green stuff, I think I only changed to ELC because my engine was in 200 pieces and I was able to swap the cups easy, otherwise nothing looked bad at all, the timing cover and inside of freeze plugs were fine.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:42 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mongo75
otherwise nothing looked bad at all, the timing cover and inside of freeze plugs were fine.
I am sure you are talking about the old engine, which is reassuring.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:30 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Actually I replaced the cups thinking I had a problem. After having removed them I don't beleive I did. But since the injectors were coming out anyway new cups with new sealant type went in to be on the safe side. A bad oil cooler o-ring was the problem. Later type oil cooler o-rings make me feel a bit better as well. No coolant in oil and no oil in coolant since the oil cooler R&R. Yes, I'm still running the OAT ELC.
Oops, My bad.

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
"compatibility issues with the older injector cup material, sensors, front cover, seals, gaskets, o-rings, and other stuff, like certain head gaskets that have silicone sealing rings for the coolant flow holes"

I may be on borrowed time Stewart.

I have addressed the cups and and their sealant, the oil cooler o-rings/gaskets and have a new ECT sensor (the only sensor I can think of that comes in contact with the coolant).

Front cover seal, head gaskets and "other stuff", I'll just have to wait and see. If the head gaskets give me a problem it will be a good time to go to head studs while replacing. Leaking front cover and the engine has to come out . . . ouch. I'll do the Melling LPOP then, if not sooner.

Was it OTTOMATIC that has a high mileage E99 that has been running OAT ELC for most of those miles without problems?
Yep, Otto has a lot of miles on OAT.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:06 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hucka1a
Oops, My bad.

Yep, Otto has a lot of miles on OAT.
Thanks Huck. I thought it was Otto.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:00 PM
bockhold
New User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
It's just my opinion, but since Ford didn't make the engines, I go by what International recommends, since they made the engines for Ford.

International recommends an Organic Acid Technology (OAT) Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolant (ELC) for the L99 and up 7.3's, but Ford doesn't.

Ford recommends their "gold" (Zerex G-05 equivalent) Hybrid-Organic Acid Technology (H-OAT) coolant starting with the '02 model year 7.3's.

After much research, International discovered an OAT based coolant doesn't work well and has compatibility issues with the older injector cup material, sensors, front cover, seals, gaskets, o-rings, and other stuff, like certain head gaskets that have silicone sealing rings for the coolant flow holes. To be certain, the problems found with the older type of sealant used during injector cup installation, which doesn't mix well with an OAT ELC, is enough to stop someone in their tracks.

Coolants like ELC's (usually Red) and G-05 (usually Gold) will have these OAT's. Conventional coolants (usually Green) will not.

So, with these incompatibility issues, International revised the necessary components on all 2/2/99-up build engines (SN 940614-up), and began recommending and factory filling with HD ELC coolants mid-year 2000.

GM's Dexcool is an Organic Acid Technology (OAT) coolant, but not all OAT coolants are like what GM uses.

GM typically uses a forumulation which is specifically not recommended for your diesel engine. Dexcool type coolants were absolutely never intended to be used for diesel applications.

There are many modern Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolants specifically designed for diesels. Delo ELC, Rotella ELC, International's Fleetrite ELC, CAT ELC, Mobil 1 ELC, and a host of others.

Compared to conventional "green" coolants, ELC's will address diesel cavitatation protection and provide superior metal corrosion protection, provide better heat transfer, require no testing and maintenance, be free of harmful abrasive silicates, borates, and phosphates, and have an operating life up to 1 million miles (Delo ELC).

Ford's "Gold" (G-05) coolant is nothing like a Heavy Duty ELC coolant, and it will not meet the strict specs required of a HD ELC coolant, or provide the higher level of protection.

The "Gold" is simply a universal hybrid, one-size-fits-all coolant that Ford uses in its entire line up that, with the exception of the Powerstroke, are all gasoline engines. Ford simply uses the "Gold" in the 7.3L PSD out of convenience, simplicity, cost, and uniformity throughout it's product line and dealerships.

The "Gold" coolant contains conventional "green" coolant components, like silicates, which eventually form microscopic abrasives that eat water pump seals. The "Gold" provides a lower level of cavitation protection using traditional SCA's like nitrite, it has a shorter life, it's not as effective as an ELC at heat transfer, and in some applications, requires testing and SCA maintenance (just like the conventional "green" coolant) if you are an enthusiast about protecting your engine.

In fact, Ford recommends you add SCA's to the "Gold" in certain F-Series applications. Caterpillar and John Deere also recommend adding SCA if it is going to be used in their diesels.

Ford's H-OAT "Gold" coolant will not meet International's heavy duty diesel B-1 specification. A Heavy Duty ELC will.

The "Gold" will work, but it's not the best.

Stewart

Old 01-21-2011, 01:03 AM
justblowin'smoke
Elder User
check into fleetguard cc2826 coolant. the company i work for switched to this 2yrs ago from elc coolant it seems pretty good. i would still test the coolant and if you have a coolant filter run one with additve in it already and change it every year

Quick Reply: Any early 99 owners running ELC antifreeze?