1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Any early 99 owners running ELC antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by justblowin'smoke
also even though OAT coolant is suppose to not need checking i have found that one should check it after a year
Originally Posted by Izzy351
What strips would I use with ELC (like Stewart is asking)? I'm paranoid now.....
Ok, after more research and homework, I found these test strips available on the Internet.

One test strip for all radiator fluids

Unfortunately, in reading the info on their website, I don't see where they claim their test strip will properly test an OAT extended life coolant.

Here are my thoughts:

Conventional coolants need a DCA-2 or DCA-4 SCA package in order for the coolant to properly maintain cavitation protection. That protection comes from the silicates and phosphates which provide a layered protection against the coolant and the cavitation process.

DCA-2 is a Nitrite-only based SCA. Nitrite is the primary and most effective cavitation inhibitor in any SCA. DCA-2 usually contains potassium buffers, free of phosphate.

DCA-4 is a Molybdate/Nitrite based SCA. It uses both Molybdate and Nitrite "synergy" as a cavitation inhibitor. DCA-4 usually has sodium buffers and phosphates

"Historically in North America, conventional coolants have been green in color. Currently, these green coolants typically use a phosphate/ silicate mix as the main components in their inhibitor system. Conventional inhibitors like silicates and phosphates work by forming a protective blanket that actually insulates the metals from the coolant. These inhibitors can be characterized chemically as inorganic oxides (silicates, phosphates, borates, etc.). Because these inhibitor systems are depleted by forming a protective layer, conventional green coolants need to be changed at regular biennial intervals, typically every two years."

"Generally, coolant degradation is accounted for in manufacturers’ “recommended use” intervals. Conventional coolants containing silicates degrade primarily due to rapid inhibitor depletion. This is because silicates lay down protective layers over the system components as part of their protection mechanism. Therefore, coolant inhibitors must be replenished or changed regularly to ensure the surfaces will remain protected if the silicate layer is disturbed."
OAT Extended Life Coolants use carboxylates as an inhibitor to prevent cavitation. Carboxylates actually interact with the metal to protect from cavitation. It does not form a layer that will deplete or wear away over time.

"Carboxylate inhibitors provide corrosion protection by chemically interacting with the metal surfaces where needed, not by universally laying down layers, which is the case with conventional and hybrid coolants. The implications of this functional difference are enormous: extended life cycles, unsurpassed hightemperature aluminum protection, as well as heat transfer advantages on both hot engine surfaces and heat-rejecting radiator tubes where heat transfer is critical to optimal performance.
Based on that info, and lacking any info from the Radstrips website, I don't see how their test strip can accurately test an OAT ELC.

or two in semi's atleast because it will fail on the test strip high ph and low on additives to prevent liner pitting
As already noted in a previous post as well as this post, there is no additive package containing silicates, phosphates, or molybdates in an OAT ELC, so I'm not sure how a test strip created to check those levels in a conventional coolant will work for an OAT coolant that doesn't rely on silicates, phosphates, or molybdates to prevent cavitation.

"Testing for corrosion inhibitors is another method of checking the coolant condition. While extended life inhibitors do not typically need to be tested as long as proper usage recommendations and correct fluids are used for top-off, conventional inhibitors deplete and need to be tested. Other than tests for nitire and molybdate, most conventional coolants require either continual supplemental coolant additions (SCAs) or lab analysis to ensure proper performance."
As for the pH levels being high, that's normal. Having a low pH level is no bueno.

"It is worth noting that some people refer to these as “organic additive technology” (OAT) because the inhibitors which provide the corrosion protection are derived from carboxylic acids. In actuality, the protection is provided by neutralized carboxylic acids called carboxylates. This distinction is important because all coolants operate in the neutral or basic pH range (pH equal to or greater than 7). In fact, most coolants are made beginning with an acidic precursor, for example, conventional coolants based on phosphate start their lives as phosphoric acid."

"One test ensures the pH is still above 7.0. Some coolant technologies can protect as low as pH 6.5, however, it is typically not good practice to allow a coolant to operate below a pH of 7.0. Glycol breakdown products are acidic and contribute to a drop in pH. Once a coolant has degraded, due to glycol breakdown and pH drop, engine metals are at risk for corrosion. Coolant degradation can be slowed by using coolants with extended life inhibitors and by ensuring that the equipment is operating correctly and within designated design limits."
Learning Coolant Fundamentals

Stewart

Old 01-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
What strips would I use with ELC (like Stewart is asking)? I'm paranoid now.....

EDIT: BTW, this is my own fault. I put off switching to ELC for the last two years. Now I'm pizzed...........
Joe, I checked the Fleetguard website and could only find test strips for testing DCA-2 and DCA-4 levels in a coolant. As you know, DCA-2 is the most common SCA package people add to their coolant in order to maintain proper SCA levels. DCA-4 is less common, but needs a 3 way strip to test whereas coolants using DCA-2 can use a 2 way or 3 way strip.

I couldn't find where Fleetguard sells a strip for testing an OAT ELC.

http://www.fleetguard.com/html/en/pr..._analysis.html

Stewart

Old 01-22-2011, 07:27 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
The Cat tech wasn't at the GTG today so I'll have to try & catch up with him & see what they use to test the ELC.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 AM
justblowin'smoke
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Since a HD OAT ELC has a different chemical composition than a conventional coolant ("green") and a Hybrid-OAT ("gold") what kind of test strips were used to test the ELC?

I'm curious, since no additive package is required for a HD OAT ELC, how was your company able to test to see if it was low on additives?

Stewart
i will have to get back to you in that b/c i don't remember since it was 2yrs ago but they did have a company wide campaign on it something like 1500+ trucks
i do remember part of the campaign was to dump 3 pints of addivitive in the coolant right off the back

they trucks we have at our terminal did come with shell elc coolant and was topped off with final charge when low

Old 01-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
i will have to get back to you in that b/c i don't remember since it was 2yrs ago but they did have a company wide campaign on it something like 1500+ trucks
i do remember part of the campaign was to dump 3 pints of addivitive in the coolant right off the back
Okay, if the coolant was an OAT Extended Life Coolant (not a hybrid OAT or a conventional coolant), then what they did was unnecessary and did nothing but possibly lower the benefits of using an OAT ELC.

Everything I've read say's an OAT ELC can be mixed with up to approximately 15% of a non-OAT coolant before the ELC loses it's long life properties and would need periodic testing.

3 pints of Supplemental Coolant Additive didn't do anything good for the ELC.

they trucks we have at our terminal did come with shell elc coolant and was topped off with final charge when low
All OAT ELC's can be intermixed without any negative effects.

Stewart

Old 02-07-2011, 07:56 PM
justblowin'smoke
Elder User
i havn't found the campaign yet but the additive was put in to neutralize the aciditcy of the oat coolant after the year and a half of running it in new trucks

Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Ok Joe, this is straight from the Coolant Zen Master hisself, Gooch.

While swapping PM's with Gooch, this is the info he gave me regarding test strips for ELC.

Originally Posted by Gooch: The Coolant Zen Master

pH is a good indicator of the condition of your ELC. Right out of the bottle the pH of ELC will be considerably lower than conventional (green) coolants. Say a pH of 8.3 for ELC and 10.5 for conventional.

A key point here is that you really have to know the original/baseline pH of the type of coolant you have when it is new (and diluted with H2O) to compare a later test of pH with. You can test the pH (after you mix with H2O) and write it down somewhere when you switch out to the ELC.

A sign that the ELC has lost it's ability to protect the engine would be more associated with a lowering pH than a high pH. A lowering pH is a sign the inhibitors are being depleted. But this happens very slowly in good HD ELC's. Say 1.0-1.5 pH in 100K miles would be normal.

The addition of extender (not SCA) will raise the pH back up (by adding inhibitors). On the other hand, a rising pH can mean something is going on with the engine, like contamination, etc. Again, just make sure your baseline pH wasn't high to begin with (adding H2O with a high pH at original fill will do that too).

I know companies like Penray and Acustrip make test strips for ELC. They will test the pH and RA (reserve alkalinity) of the ELC along with freezepoint and nitrite (if coolant has nitrite). CAT also has test strips and a SOS test program for ELC, but really, unless you have reason to believe your engine or cooling system has a problem, there is no reason to spend the money to test it (it's cheaper to just change out the coolant).

Just change it out at the recommended interval, or add the extender (not SCA). Color and freeze point are really all the indicators you need with ELC. BTW, I wouldn't rely on the RA test strips as much as the pH test strips for ELC. RA doesn't really show a good indication of inhibitor condition in ELC since ELC's don't always have the inhibitors RA checks for, and RA will be much lower in ELC's compared to conventionals, say almost cut in half.

(This next part really interested me)

One last note. There are many types of ELC's out there today. Some of these carboxylates will have molybdate and nitrite like (those found in) conventional coolants. Some will be nitrite-free. My point is know what you have, take a baseline pH and/or RA, and contact the manufacturer of that ELC to know exactly what kind of test or test strip you need. But again, you should be able to just run it per interval the manufacturer specifies and then flush...usually about 8 years or 300K-1M miles depending on brand.

I would recommend doing a baseline pH with ELC like with an acustrip, and then periodically monitor it if you want for peace of mind. If you see a big drop in pH, your inhibitors are depleted. If you see a rise, then something in the engine/cooling system is going on.

Cheers. Gooch.

Words in RED are mine.

Anyway, I hope this puts to rest the question of test strips for HD ELC's, and whether or not a true HD ELC could be depleted within a year. Like Gooch stated though, a high pH may indicate a problem or outside influence degrading the integrity of the coolant.

Stewart

Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Well let me stir this clear pot of mud with my ELC equipped E99. I did this so long ago I'm not sure which coolant I used. It was red and I believe it was the Fleetrite ELC offering. I probably did this back in 04-05, 100k miles ago for sure.

Every time I replaced the water pump, I'd catch the coolant and reuse. I've had a by-pass filter on for the duration, and about every year-year and a half, I replace the filter with a Baldwin precharged unit.

I have not seen any cavitation in my water pump cavity, but also have not really LOOKED for any. I've already replaced the O-rings in the cooler, and a couple years back installed some AD's for my AB's. I didn't do the work, and don't know if the cups where replaced (hope so)

Moral of the story, I have experienced no problems to date. Now that I have a source for test strips, I'll secure some, test, and post back.