air compressor = ghetto supercharger/nitrous shot.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:26 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if this were true and you could find a suitable source for air capacity, wouldn't tat upset the A/F ratio as soon as you introduced the air to the system? My thinking is if you simply added air, you'd either (A) cause the engine to go dead lean and die due to not enough fuel, or (B) it would feed the flame, much like adding oyxgen to a cutting torch in which case you KILL the engine for good. Nitrous Oxide injection works by carrying it's own extra oyxgen molucule, allowing the engine to burn more gas. Engines produce power by burning more fuel, period. But the one thing you cannot sidestep is the fact that the engine must operate at the correct air/fuel ratio. So adding gas only mkaes it rich, while adding oxygen makes it lean. That's why you need to find a way to supply more gas. Carburated nitrous engines do this by adding another fuel pump, and bypassing the carb by metering it directly into the intake, metered by an solenoid. Mild "dry" nitrous setups on EFI motors siply allow the engine's computer to read the engine's lean condition and add the gas to compensate. Either way, you need to add OXYGEN to the system, not just compressed air for it to work, and even then you won't get the extra oxygen molecule that Nitrous Oxide carries, so all this work would certainly result in less power, if it worked at all.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok, just to add to the mass confusion, on the "metering the air part", if you need 178 gal tank to provide the correct volume, the only way to meter it at that rate would be attach a 1700 gal tank and regulate it down to provide the constant source required. No way to regulate the given amount if that is all you have in the source to begin with.

Just like an air compressor in the garage, BIG tank, you use just a bit of it constantly in an air tool.

So, we've determined that this is pretty much a no-go. But, you know, Edison's first bulb didn't work. It does take a certain type of person to just keep at it til it works, no matter how "out there" it sounds. Sometimes you do need to find out early and save yourself the grief.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's the reason I asked.. I just lay in bed and think up stuff before I go to sleep, years of troubleshooting computers has made it so that's the only way I can wind down at night.
So it doesn't work ,because I'm don't know enough about the physics of air compression and just how much had to flow from a system like a super/turbocharger.
I learned a lot from this thread.. and I appreciate everyone who helped

Old 10-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's funny. When I can't sleep, I build a drag car in my mind to wind down. It's a blown Opel GT with a 514ci Ford, Lenco two speed, burning alchohol. I figure the chassis tube by tube until I fall asleep on those days I'd like to choke some to death from the days events...

Old 10-26-2009, 09:44 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't see a way this would work. CFM aside, how will you keep it from just blowing back out the intake?

Old 11-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
Instead of introducing compressed 'air' above the carb, how about compressed oxygen, and enriched fuel?? You might be surprised by the gains you would get from "non-boosted" O2 vs boosted ambient air.

A nitrous plate kit is the easiest and cheapest way to go. I have tried and tried to blow up my cast piston 1200 dollar 400 using up to a 125 shot of nitrous with as much as 16 degrees initial timing, and havent been successful. I really cant understand how people blow up engines while using nitrous, unless they have an absolutely 'dumb' carb tune.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
As far as an air compressor supercharger.... is this what you had in mind??? I believe this is one of the first EVER recorded way of forcing air into an internal combustion engine.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:16 AM
carpenter547
Senior User
Originally Posted by ErrorS
It's the reason I asked.. I just lay in bed and think up stuff before I go to sleep, years of troubleshooting computers has made it so that's the only way I can wind down at night.
error i know exactly what you mean. working on computers alters the way you think. same thing happens to me. with that said if you are looking to use stuff you already have to give a little extra umph to your ride mabey you should take a look into useing the cold air from your ac and redirecting some or all of it to your intake. ford actually did say they were gonna do that on one of thier new trucks. and actually put it into the old tonka consept. it is supposed to be good for about 30-50 extra hp. and everything you need is in your garage hope it helps and keep thinking why not *heck that is how every thing got made*

Old 12-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An inventive person can find turbos in most salvage yards and do the installation fairly inexpensively gaining a fair amount of power. As said before a water injection system is often a fix for detonation. In selecting the turbo(s), just match the engine size from the donor to the size of your engine. There are many pressure relief valves available and a pressure gage will let you know how much boost you have and many of the turbos out there have a pressure relief system already built in.
Like some of the guys here have said, there's no need to re-invent the wheel. Check out Squires Turbo's web pages to get some additional ideas. Good luck with it.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:45 PM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
....so what about these so-called "electric" superchargers? They look and sound like a vacuum cleaner fan/motor inside an oiled air cleaner!

Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 60DRB
....so what about these so-called "electric" superchargers? They look and sound like a vacuum cleaner fan/motor inside an oiled air cleaner!
Those are all pretty much just a gimmick that does, sort of work, but not worth the cost and effort in the long run.
Think TURBO! It's basically free horsepower and almost always better fuel economy. Do more research.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:19 PM
joe chevy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Colo79Ford
As far as an air compressor supercharger.... is this what you had in mind??? I believe this is one of the first EVER recorded way of forcing air into an internal combustion engine.
i like that

Old 01-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by joe chevy
i like that

That appears to be a small roots type supercharger in the pic. They work really well but they take a lot of horsepower to run. A turbo operates off of the waste gasses and heat from the exhaust and does not draw off any actual horsepower to operate, are nearly maint. free and they are easier to install.
Other than the sex appeal of a roots type sitting on top of the engine there is little to gain on a street machine. they require serious modifications to the engine to install with the least being relocation of components and the addition of more brackets and pulleys.
My opinion is to turbo-charge whenever possible as a power adder. With regular oil and filter changes there is little to worry about. JMO

Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 PM
joe chevy
Elder User
thanxs moto
i happen to have one of those cars and just think a blower looks a lot cooler than a turbo would
i do know that a SBC is easily turboed in fact just flipping the stock exh manifold upside down helps start things off
but im just talking about old school chevys so we can save that for another site

Old 01-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
I agree with the simplicity of the Chevy turbo install you mentioned, in 1960 some friends in the Chicago area put a huge turbo on a '56 Bel Aire wagon tow car for their dragster which was fuel injected on gas and with tools, spares and assorted crew members it was at times faster than the dragster. Once they got past the turbo lag that old wagon hauled ***. After owning several turbo bikes I'm sold on turbos. If one turbo don't get you excited you can always go with two.

Quick Reply: air compressor = ghetto supercharger/nitrous shot.