Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Quiet around here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 08:50 PM
Paarrothead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quiet around here!

Maybe I'll take a minute on a Saturday evening to introduce myself.

I'm Bill, I live on a farm near Loveland. My full time day job is being an engineer on the broadcasting towers that you might see on mountain tops or out on the plains.

We've got three Fords in the family- A 2000 Focus DOHC ZTS 5-speed, a leased 2000 F-150 4x4 ex-cab 5.4L short bed that gets me up to job sites, and my hobby truck, hay and trailer tower, a '96 ex-cab F-250 4x2 long bed 460.

I've made a number of mods to the 3/4 ton, it hauls butt and more than anything, it's a blast to drive. Passes everything but a gas station. Bought it used late last year from a dealer for a ridiculously cheap price.

Who else we got here??

Old 06-02-2002, 09:03 AM
BlueOvalBoy
Senior User
Quiet around here!

Bill,
Patrick is my name. New to the boards here.
I am a systems administrator for a local distributor in Denver.
I bleed blue and always have since before I started driving. 3/4 ton fords are my favorite although I have dabbled in a few mercury's here and there.
Great Grandfather was mercury man.
Grandfather was a ford man. Pickups especially.
Father-- well lets just say he can't make up his mind as he traded in his lexus for a cadillac. Mom still drives here 94 tempo though.
My first vehicle was a 73 f-250 camper special that just wouldn't die.
I took that thing anywhere and it always did what I asked sold it just after I graduated.
I bought my grandmothers 64 monterey when I graduated and restored that betty. Had it a couple of years then bought another 73 f-250.
4 years later my grandfather sold his 69 f-250 to me so that was the third I still have it and am selling it currently.
3 years ago I took the plunge and bought my dream. I always wanted a high-boy but those guys were getting 5000-8000 dollars for those things and they were always worn out in some way. So instead I bought a new Super duty and of course I had stars in my eyes so I went for the most expensive they had. I wanted a high boy so I lifted it 4 inches and put 35's on it and a winch for helping out those fellow z-71 drivers. Sweet ride.
Still a ford truck though. It does everything I ask.
I may never sell this one. If I get tired of it I'll buy another one.
Cheers.

Skinny dude always driving a 3/4 ton ford pickup.

Old 06-13-2002, 05:47 PM
ForDen
Senior User
Quiet around here!

Hi guys, now that my pc is functioning normal again I can post. I live in southern Denver. I work as an investment rep up in Cherry Creek. Gettin a little tired of the higher ups controlling my fate, so I am starting a landscaping services firm. Do something that I love and so that I can control how well I do instead of the higher ups. Been doing general landscaping for about 14 years now for parents friends and now getting die hard serious. Bought the big 250 for a work truck for hauling equipment and materials. First american full size truck I've owned. Damn, is all I have to say. What a machine. Road view and power really help vs driving a car around all those moms doing their makeup driving X's and suburbans. Yikes. I'll be around here a bunch now that I have a toy to wrench on. Take care! Jason

Old 06-19-2002, 03:05 PM
FatChanceSlim
Junior User
Quiet around here!

Hey Bill - Are you the BK in Berthoud who occasionally posts to the Colorado newsgroup? If so, did you take care of that prairie dog problem? I've been posting there for several years under my real name (Dale Anderson) and even met Scott W. a few years ago at his place east of Boulder. My wife and I used to live in Boulder County but moved down to Durango three years ago. Getting away from that Front Range was the best thing we've ever done. I first moved to Boulder to go to CU back in '68 and left for good four times. This time, we got a special dispensation from Chief Niwot to get out of his curse, so this move will definitely be permanent. BTW, if you have any spare afternoon rains, send them down our way. We REALLY need some rain down here.

Old 06-19-2002, 07:33 PM
Paarrothead
Senior User
Quiet around here!

>Hey Bill - Are you the BK in Berthoud who occasionally posts
>to the Colorado newsgroup?

Yup.

> If so, did you take care of that
>prairie dog problem?

Took out about 1/2 of them late last fall, the winter/coyotes/eagles/hawks/snakes got more of them, they're at a reasonable level again. I tend to share some of the departed Ricky Weiser's philosophy about being not unnecessarily nuking this fragile foothills prarie. It's like playing Whack-A-Mole at the county fair, if you push something down, another problem is going to pop up if you're not careful about balancing things. I've seen it happen over and over.

>I've been posting there for several
>years under my real name (Dale Anderson) and even met Scott
>W. a few years ago at his place east of Boulder. My wife
>and I used to live in Boulder County but moved down to
>Durango three years ago. Getting away from that Front Range
>was the best thing we've ever done.

Well, I'm glad for you. I've lived most of my adult life in the Ft. Collins-Greeley-Loveland-Longmont area, my family and I like it here, I enjoy my line of work. I enjoy wrenching on vehicles and vintage farm equipment. I have ranching friends from Cheyenne out to Last Chance, wife and I in saddle clubs and kids in Scouts and 4-H and our roots are here. I've got a close friend living near Cortez who publishes a national magazine and I get out your way from time to time to visit. Yes, SW Colorado is a whole different world. Wonderful place.

> BTW, if you have any spare afternoon rains,
>send them down our way. We REALLY need some rain down here.

It's been VERY dry here the last several years, at least we've had occasional rain like this afternoon, even one good crop of dryland hay this spring but your area is unbelieveable Sahara dry. I hope it's not like the famous 7-year drought Texas had in the 50s and gets over with quick.

We had a good evening rain storm last week, my 10 year old daughter and I stood on the porch, let it soak us, it felt great. That's when I decided the absolute best smell in the world is after a summer rain soaks the Colorado trees, prarie and sagebrush. Wish I could bottle it. Know what I mean?

Good luck to you, Dale.

-Bill

Old 06-21-2002, 08:46 AM
colorancher
New User
Post Quiet around here!

Howdy,
I live around Franktown, CO in Douglas County and I'm looking to buy another truck that I can tow my horse and other trailers with. I'm looking for a F250 or F350 and wondering where people think the best (i.e., price and quality) place to buy a used truck is along the Front Range. I've dealt with Parker Sales but would appreciate the opinion of fellow Coloradans.
Thanks,

Old 06-21-2002, 10:16 AM
FatChanceSlim
Junior User
Quiet around here!

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-Jun-02 AT 11:18 AM (EST)]Nice hearing from you again, Bill. I know what you are saying about the prairie dogs. We are about 4 miles above the valley where they are planning to do the infamous Animas-La Plata dam. The area scheduled for inundation is one large prairie dog town and actually one of my favorite recreational varmint shooting areas. However, they are moving up-valley and the outskirts of their infestation is only about a mile from home. Hopefully the coyotes, eagles, and other wild critters will keep them in check.

If you can find a way to bottle that summer rain smell, I'll take a magnum! We live at 7400' about 7 miles SW of Durango and you cannot believe how dry it is! We got about a foot of snow last Thanksgiving, but then only got about 12-14" of snow, TOTAL, the rest of the winter. And since the last little snow in March, we've had one 'rain', and that lasted 7 minutes by my watch, and never amounted more than a light drizzle. I'd guess we've had maybe one to two hundreths of an inch of precipitation in the last three months. And that spans the normally wet springtime. I think people will be dancing in the street if and when the summer monsoons ever get here (but God forbid if they just have wind and lightning).

The fire down here is simply devastating and has wiped out my elk hunting grounds. Plus, many homes and old, established businesses have burned. The nice community around Lake Vallacito, north of Bayfield, doesn't exist any more. Luckily, out home is on the up-wind side, but I've been running our roof sprinklers 'just in case' and keeping an vigil on the sky upwind from us because the normal fire season hasn't really even started yet.

Old 06-22-2002, 10:26 PM
levilevi2
Junior User
Quiet around here!

Bill,

My name is Bud. I live in Lakewood. I work as a meteorologist. Been trying to contact you but maybe my emails having gotten to you. I was interested in buying some R-12 from you...I'm a legal buyer since I now have my EPA 609 certification. You can contact my at levilevi@attbi.com if you like. Would love to meet others from this list.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2002, 09:37 AM
Spudco
Senior User
Quiet around here!

Hi Bill,

I'm new to the board and still finding my way around.

Is the headache rack from your 96 still available?

If so, let me know, I'm looking for one.

Thanks,

Gene

Old 06-27-2002, 05:30 PM
rellik74
Senior User
Quiet around here!

Hey All

My name is Phil and I am in southern colorado (Trinidad)and am a long time Ford Driver (98 Ranger) 4L auto with offroad package

Old 06-28-2002, 01:19 PM
ForDen
Senior User
Quiet around here!

Hey guys, looks like we might be able to get the CO. board active after all. Keep chiming in people! Have a good weekend!! Hope none of you worked for Worldcom, buddy of mine just got the bad news today.

Old 06-28-2002, 02:38 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Quiet around here!

By far, the best way to get and keep the Colorado forum going is to buy a FTE membership.

I would say the "Temporarily Open To ALL" State forums won't last forever.

[font color=red]Dennis
Calgary,Alberta,Canada[/font]
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/canada_flag_animated.gif

[link:www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html|My Website,"North Of The 49th"]

[link:www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html|FTE Moderator]
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Minimorleytruck.JPG
[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
[/font]

Old 06-29-2002, 08:31 AM
BlueOvalBoy
Senior User
Quiet around here!

>By far, the best way to get and keep the Colorado forum
>going is to buy a FTE membership.
>
>
What does that look like?

Skinny dude always driving a 3/4 ton ford pickup.
Old or new-Doesn't matter.

99.5 Ford F250 Ext Cab XLT Powerstroke 4x4--Fun
69 Ford F250 Ranger Camper Special 428Cobra Jet--Even more fun.For Sale-See Classifieds.

Old 07-02-2002, 05:47 PM
bambamn
Junior User
Quiet around here!

Guess I should introduce myself. My name is Ron. I own a company called Critter Control. Its based out of Denver, but I live in Idaho Springs. I have an 84ext cab shortbed that I have converted to 4x4. I am now installing a 98 302 and upgrading to bigger axles and dual transmissions. The work never ends.

Old 07-03-2002, 09:30 AM
ForDen
Senior User
Quiet around here!

>Guess I should introduce myself. My name is Ron. I own a
>company called Critter Control. Its based out of Denver, but
>I live in Idaho Springs. I have an 84ext cab shortbed that I
>have converted to 4x4. I am now installing a 98 302 and
>upgrading to bigger axles and dual transmissions. The work
>never ends.

Welcome to the board Ron, let's hope they get that fire out soon! Yeah, you're right about the work never ending. Always more upgrades out there and not enough dough to do 'em!

Quick Reply: Quiet around here!