6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Softballdad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New tires

I am in need of new tires, and dont like the BFG tires that came standard. I have been looking at Goodyear Silent Armor and really like what I've read about them. What I would like to know is if anyone has any first hand experiance with Goodyear.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:12 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Goodyear all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Softballdad
Senior User
I am leaning heavy towards Goodyear, and will get them. The GY tires should have been standard on all Super Duties, and hopefully Ford will do so in the future.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:51 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
mine came that way after the 1st owner ordered the 20" rims, you see you couldnt get a 08 superduty with 20's.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:42 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I put 65,000 miles on a set of the GoodYear Silent Armor Wrangler's. Great tire. I wanted more agressive tread to I went with the GoodYear Duratrac's this time. They are AWESOME!.

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

Old 10-18-2009, 08:42 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
I put 65,000 miles on a set of the GoodYear Silent Armor Wrangler's. Great tire. I wanted more agressive tread to I went with the GoodYear Duratrac's this time. They are AWESOME!.

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

Old 10-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Softballdad
Senior User
Wow, the Duratrac is a nice tire, but I prefer something less aggressive since I don't go off-road very often. I think the Silent Armor is the tire that will serve the purpose. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:08 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I've got them on my truck in 275/70-18 Load Range "E". So far, they've been outstanding. I've only got 7k on them but they are showing little to no wear. Last winter after I got them, we got a pretty fair amount of snow (for down here) and I never had to put the truck in 4WD to get around which was impossible with the OEM Continentals. The traction in all conditions is far superior to the Continentals. One of the biggest differences I have noticed is in wet weather. The Continentals had a problem with hydroplaning and these have been a huge improvement.

There is almost no road noise with them which surprised me since the tread is much more aggressive than the Continentals. The only thing I noticed that I didn't like was that for the first couple hundred miles, the truck felt a little floaty....kind of like it was squirming around under load and not. After talking to others that had bought them, I found that this is not unusual with the SAs and will go away after you get a few miles on them.

All in all, an excellent tire and so far I'm very pleased with them.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:02 PM
2kmelat
Junior User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
I've got them on my truck in 275/70-18 Load Range "E". So far, they've been outstanding. I've only got 7k on them but they are showing little to no wear. Last winter after I got them, we got a pretty fair amount of snow (for down here) and I never had to put the truck in 4WD to get around which was impossible with the OEM Continentals. The traction in all conditions is far superior to the Continentals. One of the biggest differences I have noticed is in wet weather. The Continentals had a problem with hydroplaning and these have been a huge improvement.

There is almost no road noise with them which surprised me since the tread is much more aggressive than the Continentals. The only thing I noticed that I didn't like was that for the first couple hundred miles, the truck felt a little floaty....kind of like it was squirming around under load and not. After talking to others that had bought them, I found that this is not unusual with the SAs and will go away after you get a few miles on them.

All in all, an excellent tire and so far I'm very pleased with them.

u buy a 4x4 off road truck and u get summer tread continentals on it dont make much sence.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 2kmelat
u buy a 4x4 off road truck and u get summer tread continentals on it dont make much sence.
My thoughts exactly. I ordered the truck new and when I did, I ordered the "all terrain" tires. The factory Continentals that came on it were a joke and about as off road capable as a pair of roller skates.

My next new truck won't leave the lot with Continentals on it if they are factory equipment....I'll have the dealer put the Goodyears or something equivalent on it before I take delivery.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:22 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
The Conti Tracs OEM are a joke for sure.wore out at 25K .Check their spec's they have the least amount of tire rubber compared with other manufactors.

I went with Michelins. 18" They are new from Michelin and are All Terrain. They are quiet,have worn good, but are pricey..I paid $1100 at Sears..

Old 10-23-2009, 07:05 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by capt caper
The Conti Tracs OEM are a joke for sure.wore out at 25K .Check their spec's they have the least amount of tire rubber compared with other manufactors.

I went with Michelins. 18" They are new from Michelin and are All Terrain. They are quiet,have worn good, but are pricey..I paid $1100 at Sears..

I've been thinking of going with the Nitto Dura grappler. They are considered a highway tire but fairly aggressive and pretty deep tread. Reviews seem to be very positive and are reasonably priced. My stock Conti's are still on my truck and look pretty good for 50,000 miles. I gotta say, they've been good on the road & quiet. Just not what I want in the snow, especially not for a 3rd winter!

Old 10-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
I ordered mine new in January 2008 truck was delivered at the end of march with 20" good year tires. not a big fan of the tires they only have 30,000 miles on them and look like slicks!

Old 10-23-2009, 04:17 PM
astamp78
Senior User
I am thinking about some better tires for my truck as well.

I have the 275/70R18 Conti-Trac tires and they couldn't be more lame for such a kick-*** truck.

I want to go a little bigger and wider. Maybe 2" of overall diameter.

What do you think:
305/65 R18
or
325/65 R18
Would the 325's have any issue with rubbing?

I was planning on BF Goodrich All-Terain TA KO's, as I had them on my 2002 and are currently on my Bronco and I love them. However, those Goodyear Duratracks are a good looking tire. Which is better?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
I don't know which tire is better between the Duratrac and the BF Goodrich but I do have the Duratrac's and they are great but they do make noise on the road. Prob obvious but just pointing it out.

Quick Reply: New tires