General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

what happened to basic math?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 01:02 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what happened to basic math?

here's an example:
need socket sizes - The Garage Journal Board

Old 10-17-2009, 02:01 AM
mustang68s
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL!!! I'm probably a part of the 'metric generation' that they were talking about, but I definately know how to put my sockets in order. Of course, I also have a math minor. Maybe some Kentucky math will set them straight.
YouTube - Kentucky Math

Old 10-17-2009, 02:43 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Funny thing, they wanted us to know metric cause that is what scientist uses and its easier than converting from standard to metric. Saves the scientist time.

I say fine let the scientist use it, why should the whole world use it just because thats what the scientist wants. Either way up until 2006 when i graduated highschool, not once were we ever forced to learn the metric system. From working on cars i got a good idea if its a 8mm, 9mm, or 10mm bolt which seems to be the most common I see. But I typically use the standard sockets and their in order from 1/4" all the way up to 11/13" i belive it is might be 11/15" cant remember been too long since ive used that stocket.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:27 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
umm..11/15"???? I believe Your talking /16" The SAE standards are 1/8-1/16-1/32

I know one thing, there are a LOT of young peeps out there that can NOT read a tape measure. I can't remember where, or who taught Me how to read one, but I CAN and always have been able to read a tape measure.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:01 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
they make metric tapes now too

Old 10-17-2009, 09:03 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Originally Posted by mustang68s
LOL!!! I'm probably a part of the 'metric generation'
yea, but it's no different .... basic counting

ever needed someone to list the sizes in proper order? LOL

Old 10-17-2009, 11:30 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, math went out the window when educators decided to teach "awareness months", "tolerance" and "diversity" instead of the 3 Rs. This was not long after they decided that rote memorization of the basics was too hard for some, so they stopped teaching them altogether. That's why you have cashiers in stores that can barely give you change, forget trying to hand them enough extra change so that you get only bills back. Now, add in the texting lingo, and many, uh, young folk can't, like, put together, um, a coherent sentence, like, on paper or in, you know, speech.

Jason

Old 10-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I read that thread and agree with those who said that the sockets could have been arranged simply by looking at them and arranging them by physical size.

But, not all of us are mathematically-inclined. I suck at math - always have had. I've always had a tough time with fractions and I don't know why - it's like some kind of mental block or something...

I can't look at a nut/bolt and tell what size socket/wrench I need for it - I have to try several sockets before I finally get the right one...

I'm terrible with math yet, I have an electromechanical degree - go figure...

Old 10-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jroehl
Well, math went out the window when educators decided to teach "awareness months", "tolerance" and "diversity" instead of the 3 Rs. This was not long after they decided that rote memorization of the basics was too hard for some, so they stopped teaching them altogether. That's why you have cashiers in stores that can barely give you change, forget trying to hand them enough extra change so that you get only bills back. Now, add in the texting lingo, and many, uh, young folk can't, like, put together, um, a coherent sentence, like, on paper or in, you know, speech.

Jason
Jason, you took the words right out of my keyboard! I worked at a fast-food place in the early 80's, and to work the window (cashier-you got to meet chicks) you had to know the menu and prices by heart. You could not look at the price board if you didn't know and we all learned it. You also had to know what "extras" cost and had to be quick about it, sloppy work and holding up the line was NOT tolerated at all. See that at your local McD's today? Not likely. I'm a machinist and use basic math EVERY day, plus a bit if basic trig on occasion and I hammer my 9 year old on the three R's daily. At the very least he will be proficient enough to spell correctly, balance his checkbook and read and fill out a job application without sounding like a moron.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:12 PM
JoeCool6972
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am metric generation as well, heck I NEVER use standard, and never have. I have been working on cars for 12 years, and my standard sockets and wrenches still look new! I don't know when cars last used standard bolts. I probably would have a time organizing mine if the socket trays didn't have markings!

Old 10-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I absolutely suck at math, I need a calculator for most everything and I am NOT young, But fractions, decimal equivalents, metric to std., bolt head sizes, thread sizes are just a memory exercise. Spend a little time working in a machine shop or assembly line and they become imprinted in your brain permanently...........But, those would be manufacturing jobs.......We don't have those anymore in America.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:23 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Jason,
I'd rep you if I could....

How about metric equivalents?
25.4, .039????

I about had a friggen meltdown trying to explain to some punk kid that the 3/4" wrench I handed him would work "just fine" on his 19mm bolt without causing damage.

Were these 20somethings born with absolutely NO aptitude or were their brains turned to mush in school?

Old 10-17-2009, 04:18 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What happened to basic math?

This.

YouTube - Public Schoolhouse Rock - Math

Old 10-17-2009, 05:22 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk

How about metric equivalents?
25.4, .039????
1" = 25.4mm, 1mm = 0.039"
I had those drilled into me in school, too. Not as often nor for as long, and I don't find myself needing them much, so some of them are a little rusty, but I still remember the basics (1 oz = 28.35g, 1kg = 2.2 lb).

Were these 20somethings born with absolutely NO aptitude or were their brains turned to mush in school?
No expectations, no disappointments. This starts and home and continues through the school system, where they teach to the lowest common denominator, AKA, the dumbest kid in class. Nobody fails anymore--it might hurt their "self-esteem". I have something for you, maybe failure will be the kick in the pants they need to succeed later. As if approaching the kids this way isn't bad enough, it applies to teachers as well. A perennially bad teacher with tenure is near impossible to be sent packing.

Jason

Old 10-17-2009, 05:50 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
1 lb=454 gm's
(don't ask..)

I love the summer soccer camps where there are no winners or losers because someone's feelings might be hurt.
How does this prepare our children for the real world?

Quick Reply: what happened to basic math?