6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

08 F350 Shaking, hard to idle, white and black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:29 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
08 F350 Shaking, hard to idle, white and black smoke

Went to start my truck this morning and it was rough, spitting and sputerring, blowing lots of white and black smoke the wrench sign came on also did the check engine light so all the problems i have been having have finally come to a head, called the wreker and had it tilted and towed to the ford store, am waiting to hear from them will post what come of it. couldnt get any codes dont have a reader.

I also got a speeding ticket the other day and want to get a really good radar detector that will jam the police radar and that is non detectable. any of you running these if so could you steer me in the right direction of a top of the line one

thanks

koboss

Old 10-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm thinking it's a leaky EGR cooler dumping coolant into your engine. Could also be a gasket issue, but those aren't very common on these trucks.

Certainly not the CAC!

Seriously, I hope they get it fixed up soon!

Old 10-15-2009, 08:14 PM
koboss1
Elder User
I hope it doesnt do any longterm damage to bearings or anything like that if there is antifreeze in the E oil do you think it will Crazy001? anyway i havent heard from them after work so likely hear something tommorow, the service writer said she would take care of the CAC TSB and the A/C knock TSB and hopefully it is nothing else to major with the egr puking..

koboss

Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
wow I agree sounds like your egr went. Black smoke though is new, wonder what is causing that? Do you think EGR could do that to or injectors?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 PM
koboss1
Elder User
I think that it might also have an injector issue? but what do i know... we were on a trip north on the weekend about 450 miles round trip, after about 200 miles i stopped to get a lotto ticket and a drink about 10 mins of idle, back in truck and floor it to merge onto the hwy... well what a cloud of white smoke mixed with a blue tint like unburned fuel. after that just continued to hear a teapot sound everytime you slowed down or hit the brake at hwy speeds?

Old 10-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
This is my educated guess:

The leak has been there for some time. Normal engine operation likely blows the coolant into the intake as fast as it leaks into the cooler, so you never noticed a huge effect.

While you were idling, exhaust backpressure is very low, so there isn't much flow through your EGR. Therefore your cooler filled with coolant. As soon as you got on the pedal, boost and exhaust backpressure built up, causing all of that pooled coolant to be blown into your intake all at once. Causing a HUGE cloud of white smoke.

Experienced mechanics correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I think happened...

That much coolant could have lightly contaminated your engine oil, but there isn't likely a huge amount, if there is any at all. I'd suggest having your oil changed as a precaution. No damage should have been done if is hasn't been run for long like that.

Good luck with it!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 AM
koboss1
Elder User
good explanation Crazy this is likely why i have been having to add antifreeze periodiclly for the last month. im glad the engine light and wrench lit up because my service writer when i would tell her what had been happening would just tell me theres not much we can do until it throws a code, they havent had much at all to do with the 6.4s mostly 6.0 but she is really good to me for doing what i ask otherwise she said they will have time to get it in this afternoon. do codes tell the whole story?

Old 10-16-2009, 03:29 PM
senix
Super Moderator
code sometimes do tell the story, usually give you a good starting point. They have taken the place of the ole fashioned mechanic.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:29 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Well ford called me tonight said that the codes had to do with the EGR, said the egr valve was sticking open whether this has anything to do with blowing coolant out the degass bottle they havent got that far but they have the parts on order from edmonton and will be here tuesday that is there starting point and then they will take it from there.

cudos to you guys, you really know these 6.4 animals, well done hats off.

will keep posted.

koboss

Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Once they get the new EGR on it they can run the fuel trim levels and check those injectors out. That will answer the black smoke issue.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
A bad EGR valve will NOT cause white smoke or puking out the degas bottle. Something is leaking coolant into your engine, which burns it and sends it out the pipe as white smoke.

My best guess is a cooler itself or the head gaskets...

Old 10-17-2009, 11:05 AM
koboss1
Elder User
my lord i hope its not head gaskets.... hey senix about those fuel trim levels? what is that, is that something i should mention to them... cause like i said the tech have next to no experience with the 6.4s they are very good with the 6.0's though.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:20 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Fuel trim levels...basically anything that the PCM gets reading from could cause it to adjust the fuel trim levels, thereby overfueling. Only way to know is what those levels are suppose to be. I don't have the book but your tech should be able to access it.

Plug into the port and with his pc reading those levels.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:26 PM
greatwhite350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys and gals,

New member here. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I am having the same problems as Koboss mentioned. I live in Oklahoma and went to start my truck last night and tons of white smoke and stuttering problems. I went around to the back of the truck and the exhaust smelled like antifreeze and the "condensation" coming from the exhaust pipe was slippery like antifreeze. I shut the truck off and let her cool down, checked the coolant levels and the coolant was low.

So does this sound like the EGR cooler problem? If so, is there a TSB for it? I just want to be prepared for when I go into the dealer on Monday and not get the runaround.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:07 PM
koboss1
Elder User
hey great white did your engine light come on? or the wrench sign. and did it stall after about 30 secs? mine did. i couldnt even get it to accelerate soon as i put it in gear would stall.

Quick Reply: 08 F350 Shaking, hard to idle, white and black smoke