Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

recall : SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH INSPECTION

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 PM
phix
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just want to thank all of you for the information. I saw a clip about the recall on yahoo so figured I better login and check it out here.

Thanks again.

ps: here's the link to the story on yahoo http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ford-a...14213.html?x=0

Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres a quote to help anyone with confusion of if its for our trucks....

"The recall covers the following model years: 1995-2003 Ford Windstar; 2000-2003 Ford Excursion diesel; 1993-1997 and 1999-2003 Ford F-Super Duty diesel; 1992-2003 Ford Econoline; 1995-2002 Ford Explorer; 1995-2002 Mercury Mountaineer; 1995-1997 and 2001-2003 Ford Ranger; and 1994 Ford F35 Motorhome vehicles."

Old 10-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by duck fan
Anybody know the details on this one? I am trying to avoid taking my truck in. I still have the original 196K mile CPS and I don't want Ford to screw with it. If I take the truck in for this new recall, they will steal my CPS.
I got ya covered, Pete. I borrowed Nolan's spare grey CPS just so I could swap it into my truck, and then have the recall done.

Once done, I planned on pulling the replacement, reinstalling my old black one, and then swapping the black one in my Excursion for the replacement.

After I do all that and get the Ex home, I'll pop out the replacement and stick the old black on in, and instead of giving Nolan the "new" grey one from Ford, I'll give it to you so you can do the same thing.

Once you get the replacement from Ford, you can give it back to Nolan.

I've had Nolan's spare grey one for awhile now. I've been lagging because I need to put a lock on my OBD II port before I take it in because I don't want them reflashing my PCM, which they'll do without permission.

Stewart

Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's is a good point about re-flashing. Are there any updated flashes? I will have to return mine to stock.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:09 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Stewart I am thoroughly impressed that, that all made sense.... Reps to you! LOL

FYI: They cannot flash your PCM without telling you first.... And flashing PCM's is not a standard measure for anything.... Go to Val Strough Ford and talk to Mike Mead and tell him you know me he will take care of you...

Old 10-14-2009, 12:00 AM
jcrammell
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=Stewart_H;8032188

I've been lagging because I need to put a lock on my OBD II port before I take it in because I don't want them reflashing my PCM, which they'll do without permission.

Stewart[/quote]
Is flashing your pcm bad if it is still stock? How do you put a lock on your OBD II port?

Old 10-14-2009, 01:36 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin
FYI: They cannot flash your PCM without telling you first.... And flashing PCM's is not a standard measure for anything.... Go to Val Strough Ford and talk to Mike Mead and tell him you know me he will take care of you...
I'm sure some still do though. It would be really nice to get this recall done but I don't want my CPS touched. It's been in there for around 50k miles and still works (knock on wood). When that goes, there are 3 more black ones to replace it

Old 10-14-2009, 03:49 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin
I will ask for him, thanks!

As for the reflash thing, you are mistaken. Flashing the PCM is standard procedure. They can, and do, reflash the PCM without permission. It happens all the time.

In the Lighning world, guys are always cautioned to remove the custom tune flashed onto the PCM and to reload the stock tune because reflashing the PCM while a custom tune is already on the PCM has caused lots of problems for guys.

Everything from corrupting the custom tune (naturally) to locking up the PATS system. Guys have had problems with their handhelds not being able to read their trucks anymore because of the reflash, and because the handhelds are VIN locked, they had to pay the company (Diablosport, SCT etc) to unlock the handheld so it could re-read their PCM.

All these problems arose because permission was not needed, nor requested, before the tech flashed the PCM.

My buddy local to me had his Lightning in for warrantee repair. When he told me he was having problems after he got it back, I told him they reflashed his PCM. He checked his his receipt/invoice/work order and plain as day, it listed the reflash with the latest strategy downloaded onto the computer.

He neither gave permission for that to be done, nor was he informed it had been done. Until I brought it to his attention, he was completely unaware they had done the reflash.

This is common knowledge in the L world just like the CPS is common knowledge here in the 7.3L world. Your buddy may not do it, but across this nation, my fellow L owners have had it done to them.

Stewart

Old 10-14-2009, 10:06 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa pump
Well, looks like we'll be getting something in the mail in the next couple months..This procedure only takes less than 5 minutes to do I was told.
All they do is splice in a fuse IIRC. I had it done on my '97 F-150. I tried to get them to give me the fuse assembly so I could do a nice job, but they said that they had to install it. Looked like crap and was not a very clean install, but it's definitely better than a fire in the engine compartment!

It does only take 5 minutes, but it will take them 2 hours to get to it! I had to leave mine at the dealership for "about an hour." Two and a half hours later they told me it was done. I had to rush down there because it was almost closing time and they would keep it if I didn't drive it out before they locked down. Gotta love dealerships! It's no big deal if I'm inconvenienced for hours, but if they've got to wait more than 5 minutes for you to pick up your truck after it's done. I've almost always had good luck with the parts department, but service and sales is another story...

You can also find it under Ford Recall Number 05S28 (that's a zero, not the letter "O" for the first digit).

Old 10-14-2009, 01:46 PM
putzhall3
Senior User
I work at a dealership and if you take your truck in they will do any and all open recalls on the vehicle. You can however request certain recalls to not be peformed.

The speed control recall does not require any reflash or update to the PCM so don't worry about that.

Any specific questions you guys have I will be more than happy to answer.

I will also run an Oasis for anyone to see what, if any, open recalls there are on their vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by putzhall3
I work at a dealership and if you take your truck in they will do any and all open recalls on the vehicle. You can however request certain recalls to not be peformed.
A guy here in Colorado called up a local dealer requesting they not perform the CPS recall. The dealership refused.

So just FYI to everyone... not all dealerships will honor your request.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by putzhall3
The speed control recall does not require any reflash or update to the PCM so don't worry about that.
That has no bearing on whether or not a dealership will download the latest flash onto your computer.

Your dealership may not routinely do this, but many, many do across the US.

It's not safe to assume all dealerships are like yours, and advise people reading this forum not to worry about it.

Reps to you for offering to run OASIS reports for peeps! I used to be able to log onto the FMC website, and have run MANY OASIS reports for peeps, but alas, I no longer can.

Stewart <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 10-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by jcrammell
Is flashing your pcm bad if it is still stock? How do you put a lock on your OBD II port?
I'm sure it's ok for stock trucks, but based solely on problems experienced in the Lightning world, I'll not take a chance with my custom tuned PSD.

To secure the port, just drill a hole in the lip and put a padlock on the OBD II port so they cannot plug into it.

Stewart

Old 10-14-2009, 07:21 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ok everyone i went to my local stealership right after work and got the recall preformed
luckily i know the parts guy the mechanic that worked on my truck and the service manager so i have no issues
i made sure they all knew not to touch anything but the recalled part and i advised them before they even opened the hood that the switch would be leaking ... service manager askes in her words " what do u know that i dont"
well i explained that i wanted the whole switch replaced not just a fuseable link and she looked up the diffrence between a leaking switch and a non leaking one and was surprised that i was right AGAIN

Old 10-14-2009, 08:01 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can tell you, when I had my CPS recall done, they did indeed reflash my computer, never asked them to do it but never asked them not to do it. I had the Superchips programmer at the time and I set it back to stock before taking it in. A problem I did have, all my parking-running lights used to light up when I disarmed my alarm, as well arming, doesn't anymore. It worked before I took it in and it didn't when I brought it home, for a fact. So, valet your alarm to be safe.

Quick Reply: recall : SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH INSPECTION